Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The battery saga continues..

Charged ALL night with Palm supplied wall charger and radio off - starting at around 9:30 PM. Booted up phone this AM at 7:00...

Battery reads *88%*?!! WTF?

Something seems seriously wrong here. Bad battery..bad phone..something.

BTW, battery was at about 10% last night when I started charging it. I let it run down to that point as recommended here to let it do a "deep charge" cycle.

Anyone else seeing anything like this?
    Last edited by PalmBear; 12/07/2006 at 06:01 AM. Reason: more info
    When you first set up your phone, they tell you make sure the battery is full before you start all your hot syncing. I think the phone make note of the battery level and determines it to be 100%. If your phone wasn't fully charged, that might be effecting the reading. I was told that once but I think it is BS. Good luck on your endeavor.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks..but I'm pretty sure I did indeed have it charged to 100% the first day, before I did anything at all with the phone (hotsync, etc).

- PB
    I haven't seen that on mine. My charges from empty to full in 3 or 4 hours. I had terrible battery life at first, but it got better after a little over a week.

I ordered a spare battery from Palm and that battery was fine from the beginning...much better than the one that came with my 680.

It may be the case that a lot of the batteries that came with the 680s were bad.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    I haven't seen that on mine. My charges from empty to full in 3 or 4 hours. I had terrible battery life at first, but it got better after a little over a week.

I ordered a spare battery from Palm and that battery was fine from the beginning...much better than the one that came with my 680.

It may be the case that a lot of the batteries that came with the 680s were bad.
    Interesting! Glad to hear the replacement battery helped. Maybe that implies the phone itself is OK and it's a bad batch of batteries?

How much better was the 2nd battery over the 1st? What type of differences did you see in terms of performance?
  6. tmt
    The battery capacity is learned dynamically by the OS. It will fix itself over time, but you could encourage it by:

- fully charge your battery on an AC charger (whatever it maxes out at)
    - disconnect the charger and remove the battery, leave it for a minute or so
    - reinstall the battery
    On the 650, there was a battery reset procedure, where the 650 was reset while attached to the charger. I wonder it this would help reset the battery fill circuitry on the 680 too.

I just tried with my old sync and charge cable for my 650 and it doesn't seem to do anything bad to the 680.

1. attach 680 to charger
    2. remove battery
    3. replace battery

Let it charge up.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    Interesting! Glad to hear the replacement battery helped. Maybe that implies the phone itself is OK and it's a bad batch of batteries?

How much better was the 2nd battery over the 1st? What type of differences did you see in terms of performance?
    The second battery (when new) had between 2 and 3 times the standby time the first one had when it was new.

The first battery improved (after a little over a week) and now the two are about the same.
  9. DTS
    Just get yourself another battery or take it back already!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    The second battery (when new) had between 2 and 3 times the standby time the first one had when it was new.

The first battery improved (after a little over a week) and now the two are about the same.

THEORY:

1. If speculation is true and the 680s were delayed for say 6 months,
    2. Could the batteries in the box have been in storage for 6 months longer than normal?
    3. And need alittle more time to get "conditioned"?

. . . . . . . . .Given that your 1st battery is now up to par with the 2nd?

(Just some random thoughts that struck me while reading other 680 battery threads and this thread and George's post.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/07/2006 at 11:42 AM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by DTS View Post
    Just get yourself another battery or take it back already!!!
    Ah, if only it was that easy. There are NO batteries to be found locally - so I had to order one from Palm. Hopefully, that will arrive early next week and I can test with that.

But, with that said - I don't think this is just a problem *I'm* having. There seem to be dozens of people with 'tempermental'/weak batteries, so it sure would appear there's a defect of SOME sort - maybe a batch of bad batteries or something. And, discussing our experiences here is probably the only way we're going to find either a fix, or find out what is going on..
    Quote Originally Posted by tmt View Post
    The battery capacity is learned dynamically by the OS.y
    The battery capacity is "learned by the OS?" So when it tells me, after 5 hours of use, that it only has 5% remaining it really doesn't know that? You really think that over time the battery will last longer? That kind of goes against everything we know and love about batteries, doesn't it?
    I posted on another battery life thread at how my phone was at 10% last night after very little use. Today I have made no calls, and no data usage, turned off auto time detection, and by 12 noon, I was at 84%. Mind you that's 3 hours after being pulled off the charger fresh at 100% and nothing but standby for 3 hours. I sure do hope my battery corrects itself soon!
    I can deal with not having quite as good battery life as the 650, but we should be able to have battery life that stands up to phone call usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    The battery capacity is "learned by the OS?" So when it tells me, after 5 hours of use, that it only has 5% remaining it really doesn't know that? You really think that over time the battery will last longer? That kind of goes against everything we know and love about batteries, doesn't it?

Actually the battery capacity is learned by the charging circuitry. So, sometimes, when the OS tells you that the battery has only 5% left, it's woefully incorrect. Over time, the charging circuitry will learn the proper capacity of the battery. Check out

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by baje View Post
    I posted on another battery life thread at how my phone was at 10% last night after very little use. Today I have made no calls, and no data usage, turned off auto time detection, and by 12 noon, I was at 84%. Mind you that's 3 hours after being pulled off the charger fresh at 100% and nothing but standby for 3 hours. I sure do hope my battery corrects itself soon!
    I can deal with not having quite as good battery life as the 650, but we should be able to have battery life that stands up to phone call usage.
    1. "no data usage"... but were you connected to the GPRS network? If the arrows are there, you're drawing more power than if the network is disconnected.

2. 16% in 3 hours is equivalent to 10% with the standard 650 battery (100% - 90%) or 8% with the extended 650 battery (100% -> 92%). Would those drops have bothered you with a 650?

.. a fuel cell _really_ would be nice to have for the 680!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    1. "no data usage"... but were you connected to the GPRS network? If the arrows are there, you're drawing more power than if the network is disconnected.

2. 16% in 3 hours is equivalent to 10% with the standard 650 battery (100% - 90%) or 8% with the extended 650 battery (100% -> 92%). Would those drops have bothered you with a 650?
    1. No, I was not connected to the GPRS network. Even though I have the unlimited plan, I don't leave the phone connected. No green arrows-just the black triangle!

2. My 650 never dropped like that. I could do half hour data usage, BT hot synch and 40 minutes worth of calls and still be in the 90% range at 2 pm. Totally different performance. Yes, I take into account that the 680 has a smaller battery, and I expected some difference, but certainly not like this. As I said, if I even just wanted to use it as a phone only, it wouldn't work too great. Something just is off.

At 5:40 this evening, no GPRS engaged all day, one phone call that lasted a little over a minute, one brief check of my calendar, IR beam receive turned off, auto clock update set to nothing, I am at 64%! Now, if this were 80%, I could live with it even. I'm not giving it up-I hope it gets ironed out. I like it quite well otherwise.
    My experience - I've had mine since Monday. Mine seems to drain when nothing is on. I fully charged it over night and this morning the battery level indicated 100%. I turned off everything I could, the phone, BT, IR and left is at home. When I returned six hours later the battery icon displayed 40%. I've read that battery performance improves after several charging cycles - I'm hoping that it true - but I'm confused as to what may be draining the battery when I have the unit off? Just my added two cents to the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    The battery saga continues..

Charged ALL night with Palm supplied wall charger and radio off - starting at around 9:30 PM. Booted up phone this AM at 7:00...

Battery reads *88%*?!! WTF?

Something seems seriously wrong here. Bad battery..bad phone..something.

BTW, battery was at about 10% last night when I started charging it. I let it run down to that point as recommended here to let it do a "deep charge" cycle.

Anyone else seeing anything like this?

This is getting really hard to follow if there is a new thread started on this topic twice a day!!! Is it possible for you to just post in one of the other battery threads? No offense It would make it easier for us to follow and try to help, and eliminate the double and triple posting.

I know this kind of thing has been done before, but would it be possible to combine all the "bad battery performance" threads?
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
  19. tmt
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Actually the battery capacity is learned by the charging circuitry. So, sometimes, when the OS tells you that the battery has only 5% left, it's woefully incorrect.
    Not all batteries provide detailed charging information. Especially the cost-optimized ones. Resetting the Treo with a fully-charged battery is the only way I know of to restore the calibration. That's an OS function, not the battery.

Because all these brand-new 680's came with partially charged betteries, then were powered-up and set-up with them, they appear to need a swift kick before they act sensibly. And why not, they deserve it!
    Quote Originally Posted by baje View Post
    I posted on another battery life thread at how my phone was at 10% last night after very little use. Today I have made no calls, and no data usage, turned off auto time detection, and by 12 noon, I was at 84%.
    So this was yesterday at noon, 84%, and today with more usage, a phone call of several minutes, as well as entering some calendar items for several minutes, today at 12 noon I'm at 90%. Also, last night, I didn't have the down to 10% drop either-it went down to 51%. That's a definite difference to the good! So I'm finally starting to see what I hope is a leveling off.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast