Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is anyone else experiencing problems with Wordsmith 1.1? I am a registered Wordsmithite and updated yesterday to the latest version.

Today, I am working on a multiple page document. I have had to soft reset two times due to lockup. It seems to occur when I am using the CNTRL Arrow keys to move the cursor around. After a few clicks, the cursor disappears and the machine locks up. The last time it happened, the cursor disappeared and my VDX begin to emit a decidedly unhappy sound. (Maybe like the system sound at a rapid, never-ending rate?)

Anyway, wanted to know if anyone else is having difficulty with this...
  2.    #2  
    Just happened again.
    It seems to happen when I use the CNTRL Left arrow to go to the previous line, but I am going to verify this. (I guess I am supposed to use CNTRL Up arrow)

I should note that I am using the Stowaway keyboard.
    Have you contacted BlueNomad support yet? They have an excellent reputation for efficient customer support. If not, I suggest you try that route first. After all, who here is familiar enough with a version that came out barely a day ago?
  4.    #4  
    Blue Nomad does have excellent support--in fact, they usually monitor the VC boards.

Just thought I'd give one of our resident experts a shot at the problem before involving the big dogs
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    before involving the big dogs
    does that make us puppies?

I tried to reproduce the CTRL-Left lockup but it seems to be working ok for me (so far, anyway).
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by MarkEagle

I tried to reproduce the CTRL-Left lockup but it seems to be working ok for me (so far, anyway).
    I can't reproduce that one, either, but it definitely locks up after using the CTRL arrow keys. However, I am having sync problems, too, so maybe I need to reinstall...

Off Topic P.S.to MarkEagle:
    We'll be at Darlington Sunday--look for us! We'll be the ones buying up Kevin Harvick goodies. (Can you believe last week's race???)
    I tried to replicate your problem with my Stowaway...but mine is responding fine. I did have some problems with the last version of WordSmith, however. Numerous fatal errors. Have you tried to reload the software? Maybe you have a glitch or something. Good luck!
    I've gotten fatal errors when using MagicText Hack and Launch Em App Hack (which didn't happen with the previous version). Have notified support; will also try using McPhling instead of Launch Em Hack.

Some of the features in Magic Text are available in the WS popup menus, or could be duplicated by using something like Pop!, which seems to work fine in WS, but it would be nice if the conflicts could be resolved!

UPDATE: McPhling seems to work fine for changing apps to/from WS - will probably just quit using Launch Em App Hack since McPhling is a bit more configurable (and free!).

Aaron
    Last edited by atebata; 03/16/2001 at 11:35 AM.
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    We'll be at Darlington Sunday
    I knew there was a reason I didn't like you!

As for the race, one word: fitting
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
  10.    #10  
    Com'on MarkEagle, I have to be able to derive SOME benefit from living in South Carolina!!

(Besides, of course, the beautiful low country, the beaches, the most senior of all senior statesmen, and the educational system from hell)
    Has no one else picked up on the bigest bug with WordSmith 1.1 ? Try bringing in a large WORD file into WS 1.1. Guess what , all the CR's in the file are now changed to page breaks !! Now hotsynch and open the edited file on your desktop. Your 20 page document is now a 200 page document. And yes I've reported it to Blue Nomad and yes they have admitted it's a real problem which they are working on. IN the meantime they sent me a copy of version 1.0d to reinstall.....
    I've experienced the 20 to 200 page conversion as well......
    That tis why I don't use Word. StarOffice and *.rtf work fine for me!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    There's now a version 1.1a posted at Blue Nomad. No details on what it fixes, though.
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    version 1.1a seems to fix the problem of page breaks replacing carriage returns in long documents. DOesn't seem to address conflicts with hacks.
    Yep, 1.1a fixed the CR problem and I've had no problems with conflicts. Blue Nomad posted the fix less than 48 hours after I reported the problem. Super service I'd say
    I've discovered that I too have the problem with Wordsmith hanging. It appears to happen with <Ctrl - back arrow> when skipping backwards a word at a time. It hangs every time I hit a line break. Using the arrow keys in on other directions seems fine so far. Has anyone figured out a fix, or does version 1.1a solve the problem? I'm not near my desktop, so I can't download it at the moment.

Also, I use CaseToggleHack, but it doesn't work in Wordsmith. It's not crucial, but it'd be nice if it did. It allows you to change the capitalization of a word, or even a whole sentence, by tapping on the screen.
    I am using the RTF to Wordsmith converter for Macintosh, and my quotes are turning into some other characters. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Sent this note to the Bluenomad folks last night. Anyone out there find the same "issues",

You have a wonderful product in Wordsmith 1.1a. Just installed the registered user upgrade last night. In using the organizer version, I have come upon some issues that I hope are specific to my installation, but I thought I would write you about them anyway, in case you wanted to try duplicating them there.

To start with, I am using a Handspring Visor Deluxe with the out of the box OS and whatever recommended update files Handspring has posted since April 2000. HotSync 3.0. Also using TextPlus with TextPlsu Anywhere active, SyncSolutions Launchem hacks, Fitalystamp Hack. Computer is a Dell Dimension 450 XPS. MS Windows 98. MS Office 97 SR2.

Now for the specifics of the issues I have encountered with Wordsmith 1.1a.

1. Fatal Exception when using combo of FitalyStamp and Launchem in the following way, without keyboard attached. In Wordsmith, with doc file open, tap the keyboard toggle on FitalyStamp to allow Graffit input. Tap and drag up into the screen from the FitalyStamp applications icon (house) - this is supposed to bring up a list of recently used and most commonly used installed apps.
    If Stowaway keyboard (US Visor driver 1.5) installed, the same sequence brings up the list of apps, as expected, but then keyboard is frozen. To get keyboard back, have to soft reset Visor and load keyboard app again even though it seems to be enabled by default.

2. Getting some sort of Memory Error ("PRecord Handle .cpp Line:91, Tried to Create record handle for 'EOF'") when I try usng the Phone Lookup feature in Doc edit mode in WordSmith. The Address Book displays normally, but the error occurs when I select an address and then tap the "Add" button. Should point out that I am using Address Book Plus instead of the built-in address app (creator code = "addp").

So far neither of these events has damaged any WordSmith files I had open (which had been synced a few times, BTW, and printed from MS-Word). Also, I have been able to recover from both events by pressing the Reset button in the error message boxes.

Some more background: also using StayOff Hack, Silence Hack, Power Launch, and PalmVHack.

WordSmith is installed on the HS 8MB Flash RAM module, and the docs, of course are in the regular RAM.

Any help you can give is appreciated.
    MANY BLESSINGS!
    Peace and Every Good!

Michael W. Cristiani
    mcristia@fuse.net
    Howdy folks,

You have a wonderful product in Wordsmith 1.1a. Just installed the registered user upgrade last night. In using the organizer version, I have come upon some issues that I hope are specific to my installation, but I thought I would write you about them anyway, in case you wanted to try duplicating them there.

To start with, I am using a Handspring Visor Deluxe with the out of the box OS and whatever recommended update files Handspring has posted since April 2000. HotSync 3.0. Also using TextPlus, with TextPlus Anywhere enabled, SyncSolutions Launchem hack, Fitalystamp Hack, StayOff Hack, Silence Hack, Power Launch, and PalmVHack. Desktop computer is a Dell Dimension 450 XPS. MS Windows 98. MS Office 97 SR2.

WordSmith is installed on the HS 8MB Flash RAM module, and the docs, of course are in the regular RAM.

Now for the specifics of the issues I have encountered with Wordsmith 1.1a.

1. Fatal Exception when using combo of FitalyStamp and Launchem in the following way, without keyboard attached. In Wordsmith, with doc file open. Tap the keyboard toggle on FitalyStamp to allow Graffit input. Tap and drag up into the screen from the FitalyStamp applications icon (house) - this is supposed to bring up a list of recently used and most commonly used installed apps.
    If Stowaway keyboard (US Visor driver 1.5) installed, the same sequence brings up the list of apps, as expected, but then keyboard is frozen as is Visor. To get the keyboard back, I have to soft reset Visor and load keyboard app again even though it seems to be enabled by default.

2. Getting the error dialog "PRecord Handle .cpp Line:91, Tried to Create record handle for 'EOF'", when I try usng the Phone Lookup feature in Doc edit mode in WordSmith. The Address Book displays normally, but the error occurs when I select an address and then tap the "Add" button. Should point out that I am using Address Book Plus instead of the built-in address app (creator code = "addp").

So far neither of these events ha damaged any WordSmith files I had open (which had been synced a few times, BTW, and printed from MS-Word). Also, I have been able to recover from both events by pressing the Reset button in the error message boxes.

Any insight you can offer would be terrific.
    MANY BLESSINGS!
    Peace and Every Good!

Michael W. Cristiani
    mcristia@fuse.net
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast