1.    #1  
    Has anybody tried synching the Treo 680 using pilot-link on Linux (or any other Linux/Unix flavor?). I have a Treo 600 currently and I know that works and I know that the Treo 650 is supported, but I'd like a positive confirmation before I buy a 680.

There are two issues:

1) kernel support: which even if not present, is fairly easy to fix by recompiling the visor module, but it would be nice to know if it works "out-of-the-box".

2) data format support: In particular does the contact list database maintain the backwards-compatibility file AddressDB.pdb as is done now on Treo 600 and 650? It should be easy to tell if this this is the case even on a non-Linux system because in the list of backed-up files should appear the AddressDB.pdb. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $pilot$-$link$ $currently$ $only$ $supports$ $the$ $fields$ $in$ $this$ $file$ $and$ $will$ $ignore$ $the$ $contents$ $of$ $the$ $ContactsDB$-$PAdd$.$pdb$.
    Last edited by blarney; 12/07/2006 at 06:57 PM. Reason: previous model was 650 not 680
    I am running UBUNTU on my Laptop, I will give it a try later today and let you know.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
  3.    #3  
    Knowing whether J-Pilot (which uses pilot-link) works as well would be the best test because you can check the actual address and datebook sync and not just the bare "backup" capability of pilot-xfer.

Also gnome-pilot support would be nice, but not critical for me, since I don't use it.

Did you get a chance to try pilot-link and/or J-Pilot on Ubuntu, Chris?
    I can confirm that I can sync the Treo 680 just fine under Linux. I'm using the Gentoo distro with a Gentoo patched kernel with the usbserial and visor modules. AddressDB is backed up and my contacts and all other information is visible in jpilot. I'm using pilot-link version 0.12.0-pre4 and jpilot version 0.99.9 both compiled from source, and syncing over usb to the 680 on /dev/ttyUSB1.

HTH
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the positive reply.

dabtech: did you need to patch the kernel explicitly for the Treo 680 support in the visor module?
    Nope, no specific kernel patch needed. The existing visor module supports the 680 just fine.
    Thanks a lot! With your advice I managed to get my Treo syncing with my ThinkPad T60 running Red Hat FC6 using the sync cable. This is nice, but has anyone out there got it working via Bluetooth? All the docs I've found seem to be somewhat outdated and don't seem to work.
    It hasn't changed at all since FC4 (the information or the procedure...) but feel free to check out my http://webgui.theblackmoor.net:8082/home/treo/fedora
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    It hasn't changed at all since FC4 (the information or the procedure...) but feel free to check out my http://webgui.theblackmoor.net:8082/home/treo/fedora
    Thanks, this is great, but when I get to the end of the setup and attempt to execute a sync operation, I always get:

Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application.

I cannot think of any reason why I might be getting this message, but it appears to be on the Treo 680 itself since it occurs regardless of whether the "pilot-xfer -p net:any -l" is executing.

Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by micah_gideon View Post
    Thanks, this is great, but when I get to the end of the setup and attempt to execute a sync operation, I always get:

Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application.

I cannot think of any reason why I might be getting this message, but it appears to be on the Treo 680 itself since it occurs regardless of whether the "pilot-xfer -p net:any -l" is executing.

Any ideas?
    Check your bluetooth settings on the treo.
    first disconnect from GPRS and connect with the bluetooth connection you made for this.

Works like a charm with kpilot!
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net