1.    #1  
    I am trying to minimize any/all delays in web surfing and trying to get chat software to stay online. It seems there is some kind of time out where the internet connection isn't kept active and on? I am using a 700p with Sprint. When the little arrows aren't blue, then my chat software disconnects and it takes longer when I click a web link. Anyway, so I am trying to find out how I can keep the arrows blue and not grey. If there is some software that will constantly make tiny web requests or something, please let me know. On my old PDA and carrier I had to do some registry hack to keep the connection always on too. I want the Treo online & ready to go ALL the time. I saw a little discussion about this but no answers for my device. Thank you very much.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    I'm not sure which chat software you are using, but you can use one that artificially keeps the Network connected by polling frequently, which enables you to access the web or get email without reconnecting to the Network. Causerie has a setting that settles down into polling every 30 seconds (fast mode) or every minute (slow mode), and either one keeps you connected unless you completely lose phone and/or network signal.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. I am wondering if there's a tiny app that will poll very frequently. I guess that Snapper would poll too. Not sure if I am going to use Snapper or Causerie, maybe neither.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    I use both and like both. However, Snapper retrieves email in the foreground instead of polling in the background like Causerie, and I've never tested it to see how often you would have to do a retrieval to keep the Network connected. If you have to retrieve email every 5 minutes to keep the Network connection open it would a huge battery drain.
    In Causerie the Poll Interval default value is ‘Smart Mode - Fast’. In this mode, Causerie initially starts checking for new messages every 10 seconds. If there is no new message, it starts checking every 20 seconds. Finally it stabilizes and checks every 30 seconds. The maximum Poll Interval can be set to 10 minutes.