1.    #1  
    I have a 700p on Sprint. Under Phone Display Preferences, I have ‘typing starts contact search” selected. On my 650, I could begin to dial a number using the blue keyboard keys. As soon as what I was typing did not match any contacts the phone was smart enough to convert the entered “letters” into the appropriate numbers and be prepared to dial the phone. My 700 does not behave the same way.

Anyone else notice this, or have a work around. I have Shadowmite’s dialer installed…wonder if that’s the reason?

Thanks for your help all.
    My 650 gets confused if I type too fast, so it's not just the 700. Try typing a little slower.

Kinda disappointing that I can go faster than a modern electronic device.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
    My 650 gets confused if I type too fast, so it's not just the 700. Try typing a little slower.

Kinda disappointing that I can go faster than a modern electronic device.
    No, it's not the speed that I'm typing...never had the issue with the 650...any other 700 users have this issue?

By the way, just tried this on a friends 700, without Shadowmite’s dialer....still does not work. So, it does not seem to be linked to the dialer.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Yeah, I think it is "either or" but not both.

SMEGGIE
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonMatt View Post
    I have a 700p on Sprint. Under Phone Display Preferences, I have ‘typing starts contact search” selected. On my 650, I could begin to dial a number using the blue keyboard keys. As soon as what I was typing did not match any contacts the phone was smart enough to convert the entered “letters” into the appropriate numbers and be prepared to dial the phone. My 700 does not behave the same way.

Anyone else notice this, or have a work around. I have Shadowmite’s dialer installed…wonder if that’s the reason?

Thanks for your help all.
    In order to accomplish this on the 700p, you need to first press the option key (blue one) before dialing a number not stored.

This bothers me as well.
    What bugs me about this type of "change" is that palm changes the functionality of their software for no apparent reason.

I manage a software product used by thousands of people. When we add a new "feature" we always implement it with the ability to turn it on or off. That gives the user a choice - something we have precious little of when we use palm apps!
    While on the subject of changing features, on my Treo 600 (skipped the 650) I could press the space bar to turn the speaker phone on and off. Used it all the time in the car. On my 700 this does not work. I miss it - and don't really see why they removed it.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treocracy View Post
    What bugs me about this type of "change" is that palm changes the functionality of their software for no apparent reason.

I manage a software product used by thousands of people. When we add a new "feature" we always implement it with the ability to turn it on or off. That gives the user a choice - something we have precious little of when we use palm apps!
    I agree...that simple little feature made so much sense, and one of the things that made the phone so smart. Why they would get rid of it and dumb down the phone, I have no idea. Thanks for informing me of the ability to still dial by number with the option key. It’s still not as good a solution as the 650, oh well.

Palm, are you listening?