1. MED
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I'm new to the Treo world with my 680 (used Sony NX70 before) and can't seem to play wav files. My office phone system (Asterisk based) emails the voicemail attachment as a wav file. When I click on the attachment from within versamail, I receive a error titled Play Error, "This is not a supported WAV file." I thought pocket tunes was supposed to play wav files. Maybe the voicemail uses incompatible settings when it encodes the wav file?

Do I really need to buy mvoice or callrec to get this to work? Or would I have the same problem?
    try playing with TCPMP. i have had same issues with ptunes and my voice mail files.
  3. MED
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    When I hit the right arrow button on keypad when the file name is highlighted, I get a pop with View, Select Viewer, Save to Card. When I select Select Viewer, I'm given the options of MMWave, Sounds, and Voice Memo. Ptunes is not an option. How can I purposely open the file with Ptunes?

I'll give TCPMP a shot.
  4. MED
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Ok, installed TCPMP and still no go. I saved wav file to SD card and tried to open with TCPMP. Get Error: Player: Audio Codec (0031) not supported by the player!
  5. MED
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    From visiting CoreCodec's forums, their player won't play this type of wav format... yet. "GSM 6.10 8.000 kHz, Mono" Asterisk refers to this file format as wav49.
    I want to play wav files from asterisk as well. anyone have any solutions?
    i always convert wav to mp3. shouldn't be too much of a hassle. i am not aware of any treo player that plays wav.
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    i always convert wav to mp3. shouldn't be too much of a hassle. i am not aware of any treo player that plays wav.
    they are sent as .WAV files. Not given an opportunity to convert them.
    well, you can always do it on your computer with a proper converter.
    i don't think you understand...I get an email notifying me of a new voicemail. The actual voicemail (in WAV format) is attached to the email. Typically I am on the road or otherwise not near a computer. I have no way to convert the file.
    Last edited by marc1; 01/17/2007 at 12:47 AM.
    use audacity (free) to convert .wav to .mp3.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Edit: Sorry this was not relevant for you. You clarified your situation while I was posting this.
    Last edited by johncc; 01/17/2007 at 02:06 AM.
    ok, sorry. i was referring to music files that are in wav format. well, lets see if anyone comes up with a solution for your problem.
    No expert here... but I believe pTunes has a separate WAV plugin that doesn't come installed in the 680. When I installed pTunes deluxe in the bundled music pack, I think I remember WAV being one of the optional add-ons.
    Voicemail systems notoriously use odd WAV file codecs for encoding their attachments. Cisco voip phones are an example of WAV files that Treo smartphones and many other portable devices cannot play. There are many sub-formats of WAV. All the most common ones are supported by Treo but voicemail systems providers persist in using these rare codecs - presumably to get better voice compression or to avoid codec licensing costs.
    Nice find...

It's too bad he'll have to pay for an additional program just to receive voicemails
    It must be an odd codec. The Treo 680 is supposed to play normal .wav files natively. It's in the specs at Palm.com.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Wow- thanks for the great tip. I use Vonage for my home line and frequently get messages that are business-related on that line, although I give out my cell as my primary number. One of Vonage's features is the ability to receive emails with voicemail attachments which is great for when you are on the move. However, I've noticed that the 700p's built-in voice memo app does not support .wav files -seems silly that a $600 phone can't do this.

So far, mVoiceMail works like a champ. I have yet to try out the pTunes upgrade. Considering pTunes is in ROM, is it difficult to downgrade if needed?

So now my options are to pay $19 for mVoiceMail or $20 EXTRA to upgrade from the standard version (3.x) of pTunes to 4x which supposedly supports .wav files. If anyone is in this particular situation and would care to chime in i would be interested to know your thoughts/suggestions.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com