1.    #1  
    My first post... I'm so happy to be here officially. My Artic White 680 was delivered today. However I'm stuck. I've been reading the forums for weeks now waiting to get my unlocked phone. I took my Cingular SIM out of my working Nokia 6682 and put it in the 680. I immediately got a message with a heading 'Unlock SIM' and prompting me to enter a code.

All this time I thought from my reading I'd be able to pop my sim and and be ready to rock.

Am I missing something?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cpipes View Post
    My first post... I'm so happy to be here officially. My Artic White 680 was delivered today. However I'm stuck. I've been reading the forums for weeks now waiting to get my unlocked phone. I took my Cingular SIM out of my working Nokia 6682 and put it in the 680. I immediately got a message with a heading 'Unlock SIM' and prompting me to enter a code.

All this time I thought from my reading I'd be able to pop my sim and and be ready to rock.

Am I missing something?
    Welcome to the board. Do you have an updated SIM card from Cingular?
  3.    #3  
    I'd imagine so...

It says 64k Smartchip on the back with all the Cingular branding.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I'd imagine so...

It says 64k Smartchip on the back with all the Cingular branding.
    The latest SIM cards should now say 3G on them. I would go to a Cingular store and ask for an updated SIM card.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JRoD_E View Post
    The latest SIM cards should now say 3G on them. I would go to a Cingular store and ask for an updated SIM card.

Ok.. do I need to make up any 'tech support' issue or anything. Will it mess up anything with current phone numbers.. etc etc.?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Ok.. do I need to make up any 'tech support' issue or anything. Will it mess up anything with current phone numbers.. etc etc.?
    No need to make up a tech support issue. Just tell them that you would like a 3G SIM. If you have numbers on your SIM, you may want to have them transferred. Cingular should be able to help you with that. Otherwise your current phone number will transfer over to the new SIM.
  7.    #7  
    No need to make up a tech support issue. Just tell them that you would like a 3G SIM. If you have numbers on your SIM, you may want to have them transferred. Cingular should be able to help you with that. Otherwise your current phone number will transfer over to the new SIM.
    Thanks for all your help. After a little troubleshooting on the old phone I figured it out. I actually had my own lock code on the SIM Card so nobody could get to my contacts if my phone was stolen. I just turned the security off on the old phone popped it back in the 'Artic' and all is well now.

THANKS AGAIN!!!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Thanks for all your help. After a little troubleshooting on the old phone I figured it out. I actually had my own lock code on the SIM Card so nobody could get to my contacts if my phone was stolen. I just turned the security off on the old phone popped it back in the 'Artic' and all is well now.

THANKS AGAIN!!!
    Great! Glad you got it taken care of. I assumed you tried to unlock your card with your lock code, but had no luck.

I still would suggest updating the card. It may give you some increased browsing speed.
    will the 3G card also give better reception? I have a 64k card in my phone
    m100 Zire 72 Treo 650 Treo 680
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by employedslacker View Post
    will the 3G card also give better reception? I have a 64k card in my phone
    That's a good question. I had fine reception with the 64k card, so I haven't seen a difference. Perhaps some fellow board members may be able to chime in and let us know if they have seen an increase or decrease in reception.
    Interesting. I have a 64k card thinking that was the latest. I wonder if 64k cards are part of the lag / delay issues some ppl like me are seeing.