1.    #1  
    During the 700p installation, on the "bonus software" screen, is any of that stuff full version, or is it all demos? Bejeweled, Ereader, solitaire, etc. I didn't install any of it because I don't want to clutter my device with expiring demos.
    Nope they are full versions
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    The most useful application (IMHO) is Documents To Go, which allows you to edit and create Word and Excel documents, as well as view PDF's and Powerpoint presentations.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    solitare is not a demo.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
  5.    #5  
    Well some of them, like Docs to go, are in the ROM, so why install from the CD?

Is Treo Voice Dialing a full version?
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I think Solitaire and DTG are full version apps. Everything else is a demo or a crippled piece of trialware. Treo Voice Dialing is a "full" version for 2 weeks then it lapses into recognizing digit dialing only. You have to purchase the full version from Palm. I can assure you that it's not worth the registration $ whatsoever. Palm ought to be ashamed for not making voice dialing standard on a flagship device of the Treo's price.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    ...Palm ought to be ashamed for not making voice dialing standard on a flagship device of the Treo's price.
    I don't know for sure, and this is all guesswork on my part, but the decision to NOT include items with the operating system might have more to do with lawsuits than with a poor decision.
    Take a look at Microsoft. If they were to include a top flight anti-virus (or anti-malware) software program into their OS, all the other anti-virus vendors would cry to the courts (and win billions) that they are being unfairly shut out of the process due to Microsoft's domination of the desktop. I imagine this is why they don't preinstall anti-virus software and why you need to download Microsoft Defender on your own. This is also why they hide their fax software on the install disk requiring the user to find and install it (rather than simply building it in). I imagine that is behind many of the decisions that were made with respect to XP (for example), that left key programs out of the OS. Do you think "My Pictures" is the best that they could do for image storage?

While Palm isn't the same super dominant OS provider that Microsoft is, I think (again, pure speculation on my part), they are required to treat some of their programs 'on the same level' as outside vendors.
    Greedy class action lawyers and (equally) greedy state's attorney generals would salivate over a successful company building a good product that 'shuts out' the competition by incorporating too many items in the operating system.
    Again, just one man's opinion, with little, or no, fact to back up these claims.
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    I don't know for sure, and this is all guesswork on my part, but the decision to NOT include items with the operating system might have more to do with lawsuits than with a poor decision ...
    Oh, please! Bashing Micro$oft is easy and fun, but a basic understanding of business realities would go a long way toward making this a useful conversation. Why does MS "bury" fax on the install CD? Because 99.9% of XP users don't want it or need it. And why does Palm not include voice dialing on the Treo? For the same reason they don't include secure password storage, tip calculator, decent email, antivirus, backup, and a hundred other useful functions: it doesn't make business sense, especially when Palm is reselling software.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I wasn't bashing them, in fact I was trying to defend their difficult position. They aren't allowed to incorporate items into their OS because of fear of a claim of them exercising a monopolistic position.
    If your claim that "...99.9% of users who might not want nor need the fax software..." really didn't want the software, the users could just as easily ignore it if it was built in to the OS.
    Coincidentally, they are also burying backup software on the install disk. Do you think 99.9% of users don't want nor need backup software either?
    Last edited by haroldo; 12/07/2006 at 07:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by creativeguy View Post
    Well some of them, like Docs to go, are in the ROM, so why install from the CD?
    The CD installs a DTG piece of software on your PC, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    I wasn't bashing them, in fact I was trying to defend their difficult position. They aren't allowed to incorporate items into their OS because of fear of a claim of them exercising a monopolistic position.
    If your claim that "...99.9% of users who might not want nor need the fax software..." really didn't want the software, the users could just as easily ignore it if it was built in to the OS.
    Coincidentally, they are also burying backup software on the install disk. Do you think 99.9% of users don't want nor need backup software either?
    Why does the Treo 700wx come with Microsoft VoiceCommand 1.5? That's the king of VC software out there. Comes right in ROM.

It's not part of the OS as the 6700 doesn't come with it.

There is also Sprite Backup on the CD and right on Palm's website.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Anyone use Avvenu Software. How does it work.