Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Nuffsed
    After the first day messing with my new 680 I left it fully charged at 12 and hit the feathers.

Waking at 6 the battery is diminished to 30%. At 7 it's 20%.

Is this normal battery drain from having nothing on but the phone radio? (no calls in or out btw)

Only other thing is a 1MB SD card sitting in the SD port.

I am a little concerned. Is there a power saving protocol I'm missing?
    The battery gauge is very conservative at first. I tried running 680 empty and it ran for several hours after reaching 0%. As a result, battery life is significantly better than it appears.

Other have indicated that the gauge may calibrate better over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsed View Post
    After the first day messing with my new 680 I left it fully charged at 12 and hit the feathers.

Waking at 6 the battery is diminished to 30%. At 7 it's 20%.

Is this normal battery drain from having nothing on but the phone radio? (no calls in or out btw)

Only other thing is a 1MB SD card sitting in the SD port.

I am a little concerned. Is there a power saving protocol I'm missing?
    I don't have a 680, but on a 650 you would not expect the battery to drop by more than a point or two overnight
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I don't have a 680, but on a 650 you would not expect the battery to drop by more than a point or two overnight
    On my 680 : 20 points overnight with radio OFF !!!
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Leave it charging overnight, wake up with 100% in the morning.

The battery meter must be very conservative, JohnLar. I unplugged it from the wall about 10 minutes ago and my battery is already 91%.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I left mine off the charger, next to the bed last night w/ the phone on. BIG MISTAKE. It was down in the "red zone" and is back on the charge right now.

QUESTION? Does the wall charger charge faster than the USB cord??

Thanks.
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Took the phone off the charger an hour ago, made 1 ten minute phone call, now I am down to 83%.
    Leave the phone on the charger overnight. (Why not... it won't hurt it.) Otherwise you are running 10 hours before you even use the bugger. Turn bluetooth off if not in use, turn beam receive off, do not allow automatic network selection (only appears on some units).

The battery life improves with about 6 deep cycles of the battery as the 'fuel guage' circuitry calibrates. (It's a good idea to keep the battery topped up and then deep cycle every 30 charges or so to recalibrate the guage circuitry.)
    Disclaimer: I don't have a 680 -- I have a 650.

But these listed battery drains just do not sound right. 17% drop for a 10 minute call = 1 hour of talk time.

The theory that the battery meter is super conservative is interesting, but by THAT much!?!

In the 650 early days there were many threads on battery drain and several bits of knowledge came out of them:

1. Network connections not releasing -- draining the battery.
    2. Low or no service area causing the Treo to continuously search for better service -- thus draining the battery.
    3. Software glitch causing a program to loop and drain the battery.

My 650 drops 2 to 3 perecntage points over night. And the 17% for a 10 minute call noted above is just not right -- even for a smaller battery in the 680.

Did any or all of you upgrade from a prior PalmOS device by just syncing to your prior userid? If so, prior device settings could be causing the glitch and the drain. . . .. a clean install would be the cure for that piece of the puzzle.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I go along with everything jaytee says. I tend to charge my pda most nights.

After a week of 'normal use' - there is no absolute on 'normal use' - but I can compare 600 vs 650 vs 680 for me - and half a dozen or so deep re-charges, and the 680 is not as good as the 650 - but it's quite acceptable now. I did get a scare at first though. Probably I'd get 2 days out of 'normal' phone use, emails, sms and pda functions. If I play music, though I'd be a little worried to leave my charger at home if I was away for the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Leave the phone on the charger overnight. (Why not... it won't hurt it.) Otherwise you are running 10 hours before you even use the bugger. Turn bluetooth off if not in use, turn beam receive off, do not allow automatic network selection (only appears on some units).

The battery life improves with about 6 deep cycles of the battery as the 'fuel guage' circuitry calibrates. (It's a good idea to keep the battery topped up and then deep cycle every 30 charges or so to recalibrate the guage circuitry.)
    Also: WHAT JAYTEE SAID !! (I have seen these instructions on lithium ion battery web sites.)
    I have a fresh install, and do nothing but watch the battery drain. I have turned off the IR, turned the screen down to the lowest setting, installed KBLightsOff. It's pretty bad.

It just drains over the course of the day, without any use at all. I don't think I would see two days of standby at this point.

I had purchased a 650 the week it came out, and returned it due to the many early issues. I like this phone, but if the battery is this bad, it really isn't a usable device.

I will give this device some time to calibrate, maybe a full discharge would help at this point.
    Last edited by mclark2112; 12/06/2006 at 09:09 AM.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    "don't allow automatic Network selction??" How/where is that? Just so I can turn it off. I have a unlocked version.

thanks!!
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    I have a fresh install, and do nothing but watch the battery drain. I have turned off the IR, turned the screen down to the lowest setting, installed KBLightsOff. It's pretty bad.

It just drains over the course of the day, without any use at all. I don't think I would see two days of standby at this point.

Try the 5-6 deep discharge/charge cycles and see if things improve . . . . .

BTW -- how many bars of service do you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by philmair View Post
    After a week of 'normal use' - there is no absolute on 'normal use' - but I can compare 600 vs 650 vs 680 for me - and half a dozen or so deep re-charges, and the 680 is not as good as the 650 - but it's quite acceptable now.
    Dumb question, but what is a "deep re-charge"? Letting the 680 drain to nothing and then recharging over-night? Or just letting it charge for a good 8 hours or so overnight regardless of how much juice it starts off with?
    I'm not experiencing this battery drain. After a couple of days, the battery seems to be settling in.
    At the end of the day (fully charged and then taken off the charger at 7am), I've seen about 68% (around 10pm). This is much better than the first few days where it would be in the 40s.

Running pretty much stock except for Splashshopper and Solitaire.
    A few phone calls per day, and a lot of Calendar/Contact lookups.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    Dumb question, but what is a "deep re-charge"? Letting the 680 drain to nothing and then recharging over-night? Or just letting it charge for a good 8 hours or so overnight regardless of how much juice it starts off with?
    Let it drop to 5 to 10%, then fully charge it (preferablly overnight in one continuous process.) (Do not let it drain to nothing.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Try the 5-6 deep discharge/charge cycles and see if things improve . . . . .

BTW -- how many bars of service do you have?

Generally 2 at my desk here at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    I'm not experiencing this battery drain. After a couple of days, the battery seems to be settling in.
    At the end of the day (fully charged and then taken off the charger at 7am), I've seen about 68% (around 10pm). This is much better than the first few days where it would be in the 40s.

Running pretty much stock except for Splashshopper and Solitaire.
    A few phone calls per day, and a lot of Calendar/Contact lookups.
    Hmmm..are you running an unlocked or Cingular branded 680?

Also - I wonder if there might already be multiple revs of firmware on these initial 680s..I see R01.31 firmware, "Software: TREO680-1.03-CNG" and "Hardware: A". Anyone else have anything different?
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    Hmmm..are you running an unlocked or Cingular branded 680?
    Cingular Branded
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast