Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm not sure. I already like this device soo much. But, the battery issue is real. What's the point of a Portable Phone, that ISN'T portable? If I have to be plugged in all the time, I can use a land line or my computer.

Maybe it is a bad phone. I'm calling Cingular.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    Hmmm..are you running an unlocked or Cingular branded 680?

Also - I wonder if there might already be multiple revs of firmware on these initial 680s..I see R01.31 firmware, "Software: TREO680-1.03-CNG" and "Hardware: A". Anyone else have anything different?
    Unlocked from PALM: MW01.50 firmware, Software: TREO680-1.04-ROW and Hardware: A
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInDiego View Post
    Unlocked from PALM: MW01.50 firmware, Software: TREO680-1.04-ROW and Hardware: A
    Interesting..but I wonder if this is because the Unlocked 680s have different software and firmware than the Cingular branded ones (presumably, but who knows what numbering scheme is used)..

So, to those with "good" battery experiences..if you're using Cingular branded 680s, PLEASE let us know..and more importantly - what versions of firmware and software are you running?

I'm really beginning to wonder if the Cingular 680s have a problem with battery usage, and the unlocked ones are copasetic..(due to different firmware between the two?)

- PB
    I don't think it's just a Cingular issue. I have an unlocked GSM 680 and the battery life is AWFUL. Five hours of practically no use and the thing's almost dead. If this doesn't improve in a day or so, I'm sending it back and going back to my 650.

Has anyone talked to Palm about this?

It's amazing how they always manage to screw up SOMETHING. Constant crashing with my 650 and now this with my 680...
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quick update for this thread too.

1700 - 67%
    I've talked probably another 10 minutes on the phone, bunch of data.

10 hours, only 33% loss. I don't have many complaints.

/ancker
    I posted this in the other battery thread as well, but thought I would post here too!!

Ok, I think, through Process of elimination, I may have found what was the biggest battery drain culprit for me. YMMV

I have used all the battery saving tips possible for my needs as advised by the wise and noble members of this forum. I have had a 680 for 14 days. My first one for 5, and I am on day 9 with this one, and the battery on this one is FINALLY now settling in nice!! I am a power user, and each of the last few mornings I have made one minor change to tweak and see what would happen:

This morning, I took the phone off of the charger at 6:45 AM. The FIRST setting I changed versus yesterday was to change the clock to Auto Set NOTHING!!! I noticed right away that there was not that immediate 5 - 10% drain I have been getting every other day by having the autoset on.

Keep in mind that today was a VERY LIGHT work day, but I have reason to be hopeful when things get busy again.

I made 16 calls today -
    I received 11 calls today - total phone time about 70 - 80 min

I Sent 21 work emails from Treo today
    I Received 131 work emails on Treo today all via Good Mobile Messaging

I pulled my Domain (I own) email through Versamail - 14 messages
    I pulled my RR mail Through Versamail - 29 messages

I checked this forum and posted several times. I checked news and weather and a number of other websites. I looked up a few things on Google and I checked the flight arrival status for a friend who was coming in today.

I sent 14 text messages.

As of 6:15 PM EST, I still have 49% of my battery (and alot of work left ). I am convinced the drain was the auto time settings and I am very glad that I discovered this!!!

My other (Power) settings:

Bluetooth: - was on all day - A must as I use a headset (Palm Ultralight - started using Monday - it is Awesome - but that is another thread)
    Beam Receive: - Off
    Auto off after: 30 seconds
    On a call, Dim backlight after: 30 seconds

I hope this might be able to help others while we are waiting for the extended battery
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    9:30 pm 13.5 hrs after removing from charger. About 20 minutes of phone use, 5 minutes of Google Earthing... Checked email. 4% left. Should I push it till it dies?

If the meter is bad, maybe I have a lot more time left in the battery.
    You really think the time thing could be that power hungry?
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    I'm really beginning to wonder if the Cingular 680s have a problem with battery usage, and the unlocked ones are copasetic..(due to different firmware between the two?)

- PB
    I mentioned this on the other thread you started but I'll add it here that I think there is a chance the versions reflect the earlier Cingular release and don't have much to do with the battery issue one way or another. It seems that 2 things are true: 1)both unlocked and Cingy 680s have battery issues and 2)the batteries get more efficient after 1-2 weeks of normal use in both releases.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Another update.

As stated before. Cingular 680. Phone has been off charger since 0715. Medium use. Constant data usage via push email. Lots of messing around. I even passed it around in a meeting since a few people wanted to check it out...so there was a good 20 minutes with its LCD and backlight on. Bluetooth synced 2 times.

It is now 2128. 14 hours off of the charger, battery is at 56%. I've had my 680 8 days. Not near what they claim on the specs, but it seems to be much better than average. I'm not really doing anything different.

Auto-timeset is ON. Bluetooth off when not syncing. Screen is probably at 50% brightness. Datanetwork always connected. IR is off.

/ancker
    Just thought I would post another update. It is 11:30 and I am at 12% battery. I made many more calls and sent alot more emails, as well as listening to and downloading music. I purposely tried to give it a real workout tonight, so that I can really see what this battery is made of.

I am more encouraged today than I have been in the past, so, there is hope for thoise that have only had thero 680 for a couple days, give it time and be patient. I am on day 10 with this battery (15 days with a 680 over all - this is my 2nd device).

A 15 hour work day without having to recharge - Now the battery is starting to behave more like I expected, and alot cloer to the 650 (2/3 - 3/4 of the 650). This is MUCH more tolerable.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    My battery was 18 seconds from death according to the OS at 11:00 pm last night, so I put it on the charger. Got up this morning and took it off the charger at 7:30am 99%.

We'll see how today goes...

Oh, I turned off the clock auto update, but I don't see how that could make a significant difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    My battery was 18 seconds from death according to the OS at 11:00 pm last night, so I put it on the charger. Got up this morning and took it off the charger at 7:30am 99%.

We'll see how today goes...

Oh, I turned off the clock auto update, but I don't see how that could make a significant difference.
    but it has eh? Probably cuz the phone radio searches for the time all day to keep it up to date like network signals...tell us how it ends up this evening and you'll have your answer.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Gotta chime in here. I left my 680 off the charger last night (battery at 65%) just to see how it looked this morning. It wouldn't even turn on. In fact, I actually thought my treo actualy died - until I put my 650 battery in it and it came to life. So yeah, the 680 battery is actually dead. (BT off, IR off, wireless on, auto-clock on)

Is there anything special I should do to bring that battery back to life? or do I just plug it in (wall charging obviously, not USB) and wait for it to juice up to the point where it just starts working again?

* forgot to add: unlocked graphite from palm (not cingular version)

** just answered itself. I plugged it into the wall charger for about 5 minutes and once it got a base charge, the treo booted itself. Sure enough, the default battery was at 0%. Wow. There is a serious problem somewhere. (note to self: ya think?)
    Last edited by vebix; 12/07/2006 at 08:09 AM.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Morning update.

I put my phone on the nightstand last night, no charger. It was at 48% when I did so. This morning 0826, its at 38%.

So as a recap. Phone off the carger YESTERDAY 0715, medium use, data all day long, several calls, several texts, couple bluetooth syncs, medium browsing, lots of calendar. This morning at 0826 38%.

25 hours and 11 minutes off the charger. Battery at 38%.
    I half expected it to be dead this morning like the post above.

I have chatter set to "sleep" between 2200 and 0500. So the phone was doing pretty much nothing during the night hours, but had 3 hours worth of push email from 0500 to 0800 and only lost 10% overnight.

I'm not sure why my Cingular 680 would be any different than anyone else's.
    I can say that up until last night, I charged it everynight. Maybe the fact that I charged it whether it needed it or not helped condition the battery. I'm clueless at this point.

/ancker
    It's 9:40 and I'm down to 84% in 2 hours. I made a 10 min. phone call and streamed 2 songs this morning. I am trying to use it today to see how quickly it drains.
    I posted in another thread that I (wall) charged my 680 ALL NIGHT (10 PM till 7 AM), took it off the charger when the LED was green (indicating 100% charge, as I'd expect). ONE MINUTE later, it was at 88%. (I put it back on the charger at 7:30, charged until 8:00, and it said it was done [100%]. One minute off the charger..98%. Now at 94%, so maybe it's "settling down" - but I haven't done a single thing with it this AM aside from using one of my apps for about 2 minutes).

Sounds to me at this point like there is a batch of 'bad' batteries out there. There's just too much difference in what people are seeing/experiencing for there to be any other logical explanation.

Either that, or there is a bug in the phone. But, the problem seems to occur in both the locked (1.31) and unlocked (1.5) firmware revs.

I have a second battery and cradle on order from Palm. Will see if I get 'lucky' and get a good one this time around, then will probably complain to Palm to get a replacement battery for the one that won't hold a charge.
    72% at 12:00. Almost the same as yesterday.
    btw, i asked a question of palm at the 680/cingular webinar about the battery drain issue and if they were seeing the same.

I got a private message back saying they are not.

I wasnt able to ask a followup.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Afternoon update.

0715 YESTERDAY, until 1415 today. No Charging. 24%
    31 full hours without charging. 76% Battery loss.

Medium usage today. Almost no usage today (other than constant Push email with Chattermail). I'd made two <5 minute phone calls, and sent 5 text messages. One bluetooth hotsync.

I'm fairly confident I could get to 0715 tomorrow morning as the data connection shuts off at 2200, but I'll probably charge it tonight.

I'm not saying my results are great, but my experience has been MUCH better than most. I'm adding my information so people know that SOME users aren't seeing such bad results.

/ancker
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast