Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72
  1. #21  
    11:48 No calls no email, no activitiy whatsoever since this morning, I'm now down to 73%.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shucks View Post
    I left mine off the charger, next to the bed last night w/ the phone on. BIG MISTAKE. It was down in the "red zone" and is back on the charge right now.

    QUESTION? Does the wall charger charge faster than the USB cord??

    Thanks.
    According to the manual, USB is a trickle charger only and SLOWER than the wall charger.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    11:48 No calls no email, no activitiy whatsoever since this morning, I'm now down to 73%.
    So, you dropped 10% in about an hour and a half doing nothing, right?

    The real question here becomes..why such a significant battery drain with NO USE?

    Palm's claim of "up to" 300 hours standby appears to be total bunk. I'd be surprised if we could get *30* hours of standby out of this thing. Really. (But, technically, that's "up to" 300, eh?)

    I did notice turning BT off seems to reduce the drain rate, but that's kinda pointless, since that's one feature I REALLY wanted over my i500. For the life of me, I can't understand why (tho apparently it does work this way) the battery gets consumed if BT is set to "on" - even when the BT headset isn't engaged for a call. (I don't follow the "it needs to search" angle..it should only need to do that when it's trying to pass a call over).
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    In the 650 early days there were many threads on battery drain and several bits of knowledge came out of them:
    i thought I was the only one who remembered this.

    The battery drain was an issue when they first came out too, you got to give it a couple of days.

    THis is my first full day. I left home with 96 and got to work with 80. In my hour commute, I play a netcast converted with kinoma to watch on kinoma. When that podcast finished I played a sitcom that I converted with kinoma. Most of this while in the subway with no signal. After the subway, working to the building I play mp3 via ptunes.

    with my 650, I would leave home at 99 and get to work with 88 or so.

    I'm lucky to have a cradle at work where the treo site most of the time.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  5. #25  
    1:00 65% Still done nothing with the phone.

    And I am on day 7 of owning this phone. I charge it every night.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    Generally 2 at my desk here at work.
    That would rule out the low service area scenario. . . . .
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    For the life of me, I can't understand why (tho apparently it does work this way) the battery gets consumed if BT is set to "on" - even when the BT headset isn't engaged for a call. (I don't follow the "it needs to search" angle..it should only need to do that when it's trying to pass a call over).
    The reason is this:

    If you notice, as soon as you turn on your headset (or other bluetooth device), your phone connects to it. In order for that to happen, your phone must be searching for the headset (and other bluetooth devices) at all times. If your phone was not searching, then it would not connect instantly to your headset since it would not know the headset was there.

    It is very similar to complaining that your IM program eats your battery even though you did not send or receive any messages. But just like bluetooth, your IM program is constantly checking the server for new messages, since if it did not, then you would not receive your new messages promptly.
  8. #28  
    Would hate to see what the battery life would be like with BT turned on...
  9. #29  
    Update: BT off. IR off. Radio on. Screen at 1/3 brightness (approx).

    Battery has dropped to 35% at 2:15 PM, from 60% (approx) at 7:30 PM.

    No apps running in background (that I know of).

    Sent 3 text messages. No calls. No PDA use.

    Is this a defective battery? Should I swap it out? If so..how do I go about doing that? Call Cingular and complain? (They probably don't have any to replace it with, inventory problems with the 680 and all). Or Palm? (Hmmm..do THEY even have replacements?)
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    Update: BT off. IR off. Radio on. Screen at 1/3 brightness (approx).

    Battery has dropped to 35% at 2:15 PM, from 60% (approx) at 7:30 PM.

    No apps running in background (that I know of).

    Sent 3 text messages. No calls. No PDA use.

    Is this a defective battery? Should I swap it out? If so..how do I go about doing that? Call Cingular and complain? (They probably don't have any to replace it with, inventory problems with the 680 and all). Or Palm? (Hmmm..do THEY even have replacements?)
    I assume you mean 7:30 AM -> 2:15 PM. 60% -> 35% = 25% drop in 7 hours. With a 'standard' 650 that would have been a 17% drop (60% -> 43%). With an extended 650 battery, that would have been 12% drop (60% -> 48%). Would those numbers have concerned you?

    They don't seem excessive to me.. yet. Try leaving the unit on the charger until you get up tomorrow morning.

    (Where's the fuel cell for the 680?)
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    Update: BT off. IR off. Radio on. Screen at 1/3 brightness (approx).

    Battery has dropped to 35% at 2:15 PM, from 60% (approx) at 7:30 PM.

    No apps running in background (that I know of).

    Sent 3 text messages. No calls. No PDA use.

    Is this a defective battery? Should I swap it out? If so..how do I go about doing that? Call Cingular and complain? (They probably don't have any to replace it with, inventory problems with the 680 and all). Or Palm? (Hmmm..do THEY even have replacements?)
    I would also wait until the battery is fully conditioned: 3 to 5 deep charge cycles, then keep it topped off as much as possible. . . .
  12. #32  
    Yep..7:30 *AM*. Typo..sorry 'bout that.

    So, 60% -> 35% in 7 hours is 'normal'? That's 25% in 7 hours. That means 'standby' time of 28 hours, which is FAR short of the *300* hour standby that Palm claims. (God help me if I actually DID anything with the phone or used any of the PDA functionality during that time).

    What am I missing here? (I'm coming from a Samsung i500 Palm OS 4 phone, so that's my frame of reference - that thing would run for DAYS without dropping an iota of juice. Unlike a lot of you guys, I never owned a 650 or any other Treo, so it may be that I'm just not as up on what to expect here, but the 300 hours "marketing" that Palm is putting out on this phone is just..flat out wrong. As mentioned on the #s above, I can't get *30* hours of standby, let alone 300).

    Don't you guys think something is wrong here? 28 hours standby (approx) sure seems to be either a design defect or a defective battery to me..
  13. ancker's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #33  
    Took the 680 off of the charger at 0715am. Battery 100%.
    Data connect immediately, constant push email with Chattermail all day long. Received probably 50 emails. (and read them)
    Bluetooth sync'd twice. (I normally keep bluetooth when not syncing)
    (2) ten minute phone calls.
    Lots of putzing around, updating contact names, adding things to calendar, checking on meetings, reading text messages, rereading emails.

    1345 (145pm). Battery 76%

    24% loss over 6 hours. Not too bad, if you ask me.
    I'll try to update again later today if I remember.

    /ancker
  14. #34  
    3:00 57%. I synched AvantGo, but that's it since the last update.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    Yep..7:30 *AM*. Typo..sorry 'bout that.

    So, 60% -> 35% in 7 hours is 'normal'? That's 25% in 7 hours. That means 'standby' time of 28 hours, which is FAR short of the *300* hour standby that Palm claims. (God help me if I actually DID anything with the phone or used any of the PDA functionality during that time).

    What am I missing here? (I'm coming from a Samsung i500 Palm OS 4 phone, so that's my frame of reference - that thing would run for DAYS without dropping an iota of juice. Unlike a lot of you guys, I never owned a 650 or any other Treo, so it may be that I'm just not as up on what to expect here, but the 300 hours "marketing" that Palm is putting out on this phone is just..flat out wrong. As mentioned on the #s above, I can't get *30* hours of standby, let alone 300).

    Don't you guys think something is wrong here? 28 hours standby (approx) sure seems to be either a design defect or a defective battery to me..
    Are you connected to the GPRS data service during this time? Standby is pretty elusive in the treo world.

    I remember using my 600 in Ireland where I couldn't afford the data usage and was pleasantly suprised at the greatly increased battery life.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Are you connected to the GPRS data service during this time? Standby is pretty elusive in the treo world.

    I remember using my 600 in Ireland where I couldn't afford the data usage and was pleasantly suprised at the greatly increased battery life.
    Nope..not connected. (That I know of..I go into Prefs/Network and it says "Connect" vs. "Disconnect"). That's the only way to tell for sure, right? Or is there some other indicator?
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    Nope..not connected. (That I know of..I go into Prefs/Network and it says "Connect" vs. "Disconnect"). That's the only way to tell for sure, right? Or is there some other indicator?
    It should say 'Connect' if you are OFF the data service (to give you the opportunity to get on... Also, if you are connected there would be little green arrows by the antenna/signal strength bars icon. If you are off data service, but in a GPRS area, there will be a triangle there.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    It should say 'Connect' if you are OFF the data service (to give you the opportunity to get on... Also, if you are connected there would be little green arrows by the antenna/signal strength bars icon. If you are off data service, but in a GPRS area, there will be a triangle there.
    Thanks..I was good on the Prefs area (maybe I wrote it unclearly above but was pretty sure that was a good way to check) but couldn't remember the icons.

    I do have the triangle vs. the arrows, confirming that it's off the data service (as I thought).

    So, no data service usage today. No calls (slow day). Radio on. BT & IR off. No PDA use. No tunes. No NOTHING aside from 3 whole text messages, and I lost 50% juice over 9 hours ON STANDBY!!!!

    Something sure doesn't seem "right" here.

    BTW, I've had the phone since Black Friday so it should be "conditioned" by now.
  19. #39  
    4:45 47% I looked at a web page, one page, no grapics. No calls, no email, no text messages.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    4:45 47% I looked at a web page, one page, no grapics. No calls, no email, no text messages.
    It's beginning to sound to me like some of these are defective - either the phone or the battery.

    There's simply no other easy way to explain why SOME of us are seeing batteries that won't make it through a SINGLE DAY (!) on Standby (with virtually NO use) and others are getting days out of it.

    The 'let it break in' angle doesn't seem to be it, either. I've had mine since Black Friday, so it 'should' be very much 'broken in' at this point.

    As much as I don't want to have to frog around with it, I guess I either have to approach Palm or Cingular for either a new battery or a new 680. Or, give up (not an option I particularly want) and return it in my 30 day eval window, and go back to the (very reliable) Samsung i500 Palm phone instead..

    What do you guys think? Do some of us just have defective devices/batteries here?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions