1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

I did a mistake and bought one of those eBay Treos (650) with a bad ESN. At the time I didn't had a clue on what ESN was...

Now I have a phone I can't activate. I've investigated a bit about the subject and I read about the Master Subsidy Lock (MSL).

As far as I know, you can get such code with an appication called BitPim. Once you get the code you can unlock the phone and reprogram it (I have an old Motorola V120 that I will replace with the Treo).

I did a lot of low level programming when I was younger and I remember some tricks about hacking games. For example, replacing the JE (jump if equal) by a JNE (jump if not equal). You could make the program do anything you wish that way.

So instead of building a serial cable for the palm and such, I was wondering if I could get some information on where the program called by ##3282 (DATA command) command resides. To debug it and find the instruction that compares the MSL and change it.

Overall, I have experience doing such things in MS-DOS, but on a Treo I'm lost. I really have no idea how does it work or how to perform that...
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    If you can figure out how to make the ESN change - count me in regarding how to get it done. I need to get my T650 back - it accidentally got deactivated.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    Hi guys,

I did a mistake and bought one of those eBay Treos (650) with a bad ESN. At the time I didn't had a clue on what ESN was...

Now I have a phone I can't activate. I've investigated a bit about the subject and I read about the Master Subsidy Lock (MSL).

As far as I know, you can get such code with an appication called BitPim. Once you get the code you can unlock the phone and reprogram it (I have an old Motorola V120 that I will replace with the Treo).

I did a lot of low level programming when I was younger and I remember some tricks about hacking games. For example, replacing the JE (jump if equal) by a JNE (jump if not equal). You could make the program do anything you wish that way.

So instead of building a serial cable for the palm and such, I was wondering if I could get some information on where the program called by ##3282 (DATA command) command resides. To debug it and find the instruction that compares the MSL and change it.

Overall, I have experience doing such things in MS-DOS, but on a Treo I'm lost. I really have no idea how does it work or how to perform that...
    Join the Palm Developers program (http://www.palm.com/us/developers/) and you'll likely find what you need.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  4.    #4  
    Last edited by mikemex; 12/07/2006 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Duplicated post.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks. I'll think into joining later.

Now, I am wondering why you have to put the phone into passtrough mode and such. Couln't be simpler to dump the entire memory of the phone to a file and then do the search there? Is that possible?

If so, how? I'm thinking... if the application can access that database, then there must be a way to read it with annother program...