1.    #1  
    I was planning on trading in my 650, but then I saw this in the Terms and Conditions:

When packaging your device, be sure to include your operating system software on CD or diskette, the Certificate of Authenticity, end-user license agreement and manuals. If your system was originally shipped with a restore CD, each of the above items will be on the restore CD, and not packaged separately. Be sure to include any documentation and accessories that were originally shipped with your device, these items could include but are not limited to: USB cable, stylus, charger, warranty cards, certificates of authenticity, manuals, and/or connection cables or cords. All items associated with each trade-in unit must be sent in a single shipment using the label provided. Failure to include these items will impact the value of your trade. If you do not have these items, please contact customer service for further assistance.

Does this seem a bit Draconian, or is it just me? I'm not sure I know where the CD is, I don't know what a Cert of Auth is, and the EULA and the manuals.. doubt I could find them. What is everyone else thinking or doing? I'm wondering if I should call... but I'm afraid they'd say "oh, gee, that stuff doesn't matter" over the phone, and then when I get the check, it'd be for $17 dollars or something...
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by priustoric View Post
    I was planning on trading in my 650, but then I saw this in the Terms and Conditions:

When packaging your device, be sure to include your operating system software on CD or diskette, the Certificate of Authenticity, end-user license agreement and manuals. If your system was originally shipped with a restore CD, each of the above items will be on the restore CD, and not packaged separately. Be sure to include any documentation and accessories that were originally shipped with your device, these items could include but are not limited to: USB cable, stylus, charger, warranty cards, certificates of authenticity, manuals, and/or connection cables or cords. All items associated with each trade-in unit must be sent in a single shipment using the label provided. Failure to include these items will impact the value of your trade. If you do not have these items, please contact customer service for further assistance.

Does this seem a bit Draconian, or is it just me? I'm not sure I know where the CD is, I don't know what a Cert of Auth is, and the EULA and the manuals.. doubt I could find them. What is everyone else thinking or doing? I'm wondering if I should call... but I'm afraid they'd say "oh, gee, that stuff doesn't matter" over the phone, and then when I get the check, it'd be for $17 dollars or something...
    I'm a nut about saving everything that comes with just about every gadget I buy, so I'm quite sure I have all of the above mentioned items. But I agree, most people would have trouble locating all of these items.

I don't think it's unreasonable of them to deduct from the return value if some items are missing; it's really a question of how much they deduct. If they take off $10 for a missing USB cable, for instance, so be it. But if they take off $30 for a missing certificate of authenticity, that's a little crazy.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    If your 650 is in good condition, you're better off selling it locally. You can fetch $200 for it easily. No need to worry about Palm's Terms & Conditions, plus you get more than what Palm is offering
  4. sat
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I was also planning on doing the trade-in for my unlocked T650... but then I thought to myself...

An unlocked quad band smartphone... even two years old... Where would I find that for $125?

I'm keeping it around.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    sold mine for 210 on ebay - hurry cuz it's dropping
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Just snagged another 650 on ebay for $100! It was crazy low price.
    BenjoeM,

Locked or Unlocked?
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Might look in the 700P forum about Palm trade-ins.. A lot of people got burned by that. It could have been the particular company handling the returns, but something to look into.

And yes, $125 for a 650 is still too low IMO..
    Heh, what might my beat-up Handspring branded, unlocked 600 fetch? Sure the volume switch is about to fall off, there are things rattling inside, and the touchscreen settings won't accept your stylus presses if they're actually within the target...but it still works!