1.    #1  
    New 680 owner here. Question: If I have an old app (i.e. game) that uses the hard button (Home button being one of them), any suggestions on how to leave the program when the Home button (and other hard buttons) are being used by the program itself? There is no way to escape! Help! Is there some trick to leave a program if all the main hard buttons are assigned in the program??
  2. tmt
    IMO it was a really bad choice Palm made to assign Hard4 to Home on the 680. It was simply asking for trouble.

That said, my standard fix for this kind of trap is to pop out and reinsert my SD card. If the program is not handling card events, the insertion will be processed by the system and you'll get back to the default launcher. Give it a shot!
    How about the side button. You can use it to go to a different app right?
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I had this happen, too. I forget what button I finally hit. I think it was Alt/mail or alt/phone. Eventually, after panicing a few minutes, I was able to get out. It was only a trial version (since my old access was with my old device) so i deleted it. Sorry I can't recall the exact button I hit...
    Sometimes, if you hit the menu button, or bring up the menu, you can then hit "Home" to get out....

Also, if you are at your desk, initiating a hotsync should also work.

I've had this issue with several games as well.
    Yeah i usually find that the "about" page works great as a backdoor to use the home key and exit apps.
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
  7.    #7  
    Ok, I found one way (without taking out battery, hotsyncing, throwing against a wall, etc.) of exiting a program if the "home" key is taken over by the program. This is really frustrating because it's a silly, stupid oversight by Palm and it shouldn't require jumping through hoops to exit a program.

Holding the side button activates Voice Memo, thus exiting the program you are stuck in. Then, of course, you need to delete the brief Voice Memo you just created (unless you want to save and review the curse you may have uttered while doing this) and control of the "home" button is returned to you. What a pain. There must be a better way!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    Ok, I found one way (without taking out battery, hotsyncing, throwing against a wall, etc.) of exiting a program if the "home" key is taken over by the program. This is really frustrating because it's a silly, stupid oversight by Palm and it shouldn't require jumping through hoops to exit a program.

Holding the side button activates Voice Memo, thus exiting the program you are stuck in. Then, of course, you need to delete the brief Voice Memo you just created (unless you want to save and review the curse you may have uttered while doing this) and control of the "home" button is returned to you. What a pain. There must be a better way!

Thanks for your post. I thought about it, went to prefs and changed the side button to go to applications when you hold it down. Problem soved (for me at least), because I never use the voice memo function.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    If Palm did everything right according to all of its customers, the device would probably never work. Is it really Palm's fault that you are using an old application? Maybe there is an update to the game? I personally like the changes Palm has made to the key arrangement on each release.

Ben
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    If Palm did everything right according to all of its customers, the device would probably never work. Is it really Palm's fault that you are using an old application? Maybe there is an update to the game? I personally like the changes Palm has made to the key arrangement on each release.

Ben
    I would hardly call an application that doesnt work on a phone that came out a few days ago "old". The fact of the matter is that there are a TON of applicataions that take over the 4 hard buttons. Up until now, there was always a dedicated home button. By making the home button one of the 4 hard buttons, Palm has rendered all these applications (inlcuding mine) broken, as well as making for the rather annoying problem described by the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post

Ben
    got to agree from a neutral perspective...those buttons weren't made for whatever app takes them over anyway so if Palm decides to change unfortunate as that may be the developer needs to adjust not the other way around...different progs do different things and you can't satisfy everybody.
  12.    #12  
    I realize Palm can do whatever they want. But given this 680 has 49 buttons (including the 5-way) and a switch on top, one would think someone at Palm would have the foresight to use one of those buttons (or a combination of them) to provide a little shortcut out of an application if the "home" button is hijacked. Why should they risk alienating software developers which, quite frankly, provide Palm a tremendous boost in their ability to compete with WM products? Just my two cents.

Thanks to all those who responded to this post --- and Paesano, thanks for your suggestion in remapping the side button. I just hate to have to do that when there could be a simple way around it, like pressing "Alt" and "Home" or the "function" and "Home" buttons simultaneously to exit an application that has taken over the Home button. I'm not asking for much
    Thanks to all those who responded to this post --- and Paesano, thanks for your suggestion in remapping the side button. I just hate to have to do that when there could be a simple way around it, like pressing "Alt" and "Home" or the "function" and "Home" buttons simultaneously to exit an application that has taken over the Home button. I'm not asking for much
    Yeah, I hear ya. It is OK with me to ask for more. You can still be a Fan of Palm OS and yet complain about things that annoy you. If you don't, you know for sure your concerns won't get addressed.

But at least Palm has been consistent in moving buttons around and changing "universal" connectors. Nothing new really. Programmers have had to deal with this for a long time. Funny how, as much as an annoyance they can be, folks like me just keep coming back for more.

Bottom line for me is that, I've been a fanboy since the Palm III and I have found nothing else to drag me away. Believe me, I've tried them all. I am extremely happy with my 680 with its outdated OS, weak battery, slow response time, and incompatibilities. With all its warts, I'll take PalmOS over any of those other smartphone OS's. They can keep there stupid "Start" menus and such.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    New 680 owner here. Question: If I have an old app (i.e. game) that uses the hard button (Home button being one of them), any suggestions on how to leave the program when the Home button (and other hard buttons) are being used by the program itself? There is no way to escape! Help! Is there some trick to leave a program if all the main hard buttons are assigned in the program??
    Opt+Apps button acts like the old Applications silkscreen button, often getting you out of an application that's intercepting the key.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by paesano View Post
    Yeah, I hear ya. It is OK with me to ask for more. You can still be a Fan of Palm OS and yet complain about things that annoy you. If you don't, you know for sure your concerns won't get addressed.

But at least Palm has been consistent in moving buttons around and changing "universal" connectors. Nothing new really. Programmers have had to deal with this for a long time. Funny how, as much as an annoyance they can be, folks like me just keep coming back for more.

Bottom line for me is that, I've been a fanboy since the Palm III and I have found nothing else to drag me away. Believe me, I've tried them all. I am extremely happy with my 680 with its outdated OS, weak battery, slow response time, and incompatibilities. With all its warts, I'll take PalmOS over any of those other smartphone OS's. They can keep there stupid "Start" menus and such.
    I hear ya. I've used Palm since my first Palm Professional... seems like eons ago! I've enjoyed the evolution of their PDAs and simply LOVE the ... well... simplicity of their OS. I like pressing one button or tapping once to get what takes 2 or 3 taps on a WM device. Like you, I keep coming back despite the little annoyances. I have my 650 to compare side to side --- I like the form factor of this 680 enough alone to soon be eBaying my old 650. The doubling of memory doesn't hurt either