Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was kinda thinkin same as an earlier poster: after the scheduled warm reset, someone's gotta be around to kick off the backup (cause at that point it's no longer scheduled).
  2.    #22  
    It's just a bother holding the UP button. I'm being lazy.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Well, fwiw: I use mreset to manually do a warm reset on a 650. This way, at least I don't have to open the cover or whip out stylus. I have it mapped to R key in phone app. As soon as reset process starts (after holding down R), I then hold the up key to complete.
    I think a lot of people are getting confused between a "warm" reset, which is similar to what "Safe Mode" is in Windows (only loading the minimum essential drivers, programs, etc) and a "soft" reset, which is similar to a warm boot in Windows (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) or pressing the reset button on the computer.

I do not know of any software that will do a "warm" reset but have found many that do a "soft" reset.

I personally have scheduled a "soft" reset shortly before I have the daily schedule RescoBackup run and then again, after it finishes the backup so that, first of all, I make sure that I have as much DBCache as possible before RescoBackup runs. And then again, since free DBCache is known to be quite low after RescoBackup runs. This way, I can start the day with as much free DBCache as possible.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
  5.    #25  
    I meant warm reset all along. I do a warm reset before backup (manually). That is akin to "close all applications before performing the backup" and is recommended by the Resco folks. May not be be always necessary, but a backup after a warm reset always shows 100% of the files verified after after backup.
    At the very least, turning off the radio is a good idea before backups.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I understand you were referring to warm reset. Since the scheduling is done before I wake up in the morning, I wouldn't be able to do a warm reset. But since the soft reset is scheduled, the radio remains off during that time. I guess I could always verify the files before I use the Treo in the morning since nothing happened in between the backup and when I turn it on, but I guess I could do it now.

Thanks for mentioning it. I will now verify the files and have it updated so that the backup reflects what the RAM is.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    I don't believe NVBackup has a separate verify function, but it does track the progress of the backup via a file sentinel. It uses the sentinel to detect whether or not the backup completed normally.

I understand the desire to have a verify function but personally I don't require it. I have backed up, hard reset and then restored so many times with NVBackup (especially over the last few weeks in trying to "condition" my 680's battery) that I now have quite a bit of confidence in its function. I used to use Resco Backup but it would cause a soft reset each morning after any scheduled backup (it would happen when I first tried to use my 650, not immediately after the backup). NVBackup has been nothing but totally solid. Each restore has been perfect with no undesired resets.

NVBackup also has the option of doing a (soft) reset after a backup, but I know of no utilities to do a warm reset without pressing buttons. However, Dmitry Grinberg has published a tool to "simulate" a hard reset, should you ever need one.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12