1.    #1  
    Hi there!

Just got a new Mac and want to set it up to synch the 2 Treo 650s we have in the house--we haven't been able to synch them to our PC's for years.

Does anyone here know:

1) If they haven't been synched in forever to the PCs bc of error messages will they synch okay to Mac?
    2) Is there anything special I need to do before synching to the Mac?
    3) Should I get "Missing Synch" and just skip the Palm software?
    4) Anything else I need to know before I try this?

FYI, I have been backing the device up for over a year with "Backup Buddy."

Handspring Visor (and several predecessors), Treo 300, Treo 600 Treo 650
    I just switched from Mac to PC about a month ago w/ 2 650's and 2 macs (work and office. I just used the Palm software from the Treo 650 disk and then went to the palm website and upgraded to the latest Palm program for the Mac. Be sure to do it that because the Disk has software that the website doesn't (link to Entourage etc.). It worked like a charm except for the fact that the palm software for the mac sucks. They haven't upgraded it to fully take advantage of the extra contact fields of the 650s, 680s, 700s, etc.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I switched from PC to Mac over 18 months ago. The intial changeover to Mac for my then TT ( I don't yet have a Treo) went smothly but I then started having HotSync problems as I sync with Entourage and not iCal & Address Book. Upon seeking help I was advised to get Missing Sync. This was the best advice I got and now everything works really well. Upgrading to the T5 went smothly (poor old TT died) and I've now upgraded to Missing Sync v5 which allows me to sync iPhoto & iTunes to my palm.
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
  4.    #4  
    This news makes me very happy. I haven't tried it yet but will on Monday. I'd also heard about MissingSynch so thanks for confirmation that I need to go ahead and invest in it. Will post a progress report so future readers can reference.

Thanks again,
    Handspring Visor (and several predecessors), Treo 300, Treo 600 Treo 650 (all Sprint)
    Missing sync is fantastic for mac users (I use it every day) .....BUT follow the instructions to the letter!! There are no shortcuts in missing sync that don't cause problems.
    Amen! Now that I've got Missing Sync working, it works fine, but getting there was a struggle. For a while every time I tried to sync my calendar, all I got was a freeze on the Treo, and the Mac would get very hot because MS was using all available processor cycles! BACK UP EVERYTHING before you install MS and be prepared to do a "reset sync history" - it seems inevitable.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 12/09/2006 at 12:41 AM.
    I will be switching all of my PC computers to all MAC computers very shortly as well. This will be all new to me since I have owned and operated the PC platform for almost 20 years and am fed up with all of it. I currently use Outlook (not Outlook Express) for all of my contacts, tasks, meetings, notes, etc. I have not used the PALM DESKTOP software strictly because of the limited number of fields and lack of flexibility. Is there a MAC program that meets or exceeds the expectations of a heavy Outlook user and yet syncs well with the TREO 650.
    I use Missing Sync and it works great. On my Mac, I use iCal, Mail & Address Book. I was thinking of trying Entourage 2004, but I have a .mac account and sync my iCals with my wife.

JetJockeyJ, how do you define "heavy Outlook user"?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Entourage (part of Microsoft Office) is the Mac version of Outlook. Outlook is far better, but Microsoft says that they will be coming out with a new Mac verision of Office in mid 2007 that should have most if not all of the features of Office 2007 for windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by JetJockeyJ View Post
    I have not used the PALM DESKTOP software strictly because of the limited number of fields and lack of flexibility. Is there a MAC program that meets or exceeds the expectations of a heavy Outlook user and yet syncs well with the TREO 650.
    Missing Sync is great for this. Shifting from PC platform will (maybe) require a small mindset change. If you don't use "entourage" microsofts version of Outlook for mac, you will need to import all your contacts into "address book" on the mac, at first I thought this might be wierd, BUT supposedly all OS X software should access this for contacts, rather then different programs having different contact managers. It seems to work very well.

iCal is a great calendar program, which syncs seemlessly with Missing Sync, it even has timezone support for those who travel.

For day to day and regular business computing I think you'll find the mac a great solution, particularly when it comes to protection from VIRUS'. Of course just like PDAs its a very "personal" thing, but they are a very elegant solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    For day to day and regular business computing I think you'll find the mac a great solution, particularly when it comes to protection from VIRUS'. Of course just like PDAs its a very "personal" thing, but they are a very elegant solution.
    Amen. My company recently disabled my Mac from the network because they claimed I had adware or something that was sending bulk emails. I doubted it but I had to do a complete virus scan before I could get re-enabled. I also have a rarely-used Virtual PC (to run Windows problems) that lives inside the Mac. There were 12 adware-type files on the Virtual PC's virtual hard drive. On the Mac itself I had over 400,000 files and guess how many viruses were found? ZERO.