Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1.    #1  
    This seems to be worthy of it's own thread.

    Some of us think that Palm has dropped the ball on the functionality of Contacts and use alternative applications - such as Agendas. I have always been able to remap that option in my Palm Treo 600 to go directly to that app and in fact it is smart enough to jump to the contacts section in Agendas.

    It seems now with integrating Contacts as a tab in the Phone app I can no longer remap that tab?

    This would be a hack I would gladly pay shareware for!? Any developers want to take this on? or anyone have any existing tricks/hacks?

    LudasP makes a great hack to remap other buttons and I have already remapped the Home button to my favourite launcher (another preference that should be standard Palm!)

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    I totally agree. I think three out of the 5 tabs are uneccesary (dial pad, contacts and the photo). I would like to make a tab my SMS/messages program.

    in fact, I would be happy with the Treo 650 phone app again.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    I totally agree. I think three out of the 5 tabs are uneccesary (dial pad, contacts and the photo). I would like to make a tab my SMS/messages program.

    in fact, I would be happy with the Treo 650 phone app again.
    I agree dialpad tab is worthless since the photo tab allows it. Contacts really makes no sense and I would really like to have a tab that has sms/messages on it.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kryichek View Post
    I agree dialpad tab is worthless since the photo tab allows it.
    Worthless until you call somewhere and get told by the auto-attendant "please enter the last name of the person you wish to reach". Try figuring that one out by using the keyboard.
  5. aaronchow's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    It seems now with integrating Contacts as a tab in the Phone app I can no longer remap that tab?
    Go To Prefs - > Buttons -> And re-assign the buttons to whatever you like. The *Contacts* is there...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronchow View Post
    Go To Prefs - > Buttons -> And re-assign the buttons to whatever you like. The *Contacts* is there...
    Nope .. not sure what you are looking at .. but on my Unlocked from Palm 680 .. the only buttons I can reassign in the Prefs>Buttons is:
    Phone: Cannot reassign main - Only Option+
    Calendar: main & Option
    Messaging: main & option
    Side Button : only one option
    also Hotsync.

    I cannot see any way to reassign the Contacts Tab? Nor the Home button without a 3rd party hack.

    Perhaps you are confusing the Calendar button with Contacts Tab?
  7. #7  
    Butler gives you both of the options you are looking for
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Nope .. not sure what you are looking at .. but on my Unlocked from Palm 680 .. the only buttons I can reassign in the Prefs>Buttons is:
    Phone: Cannot reassign main - Only Option+
    Calendar: main & Option
    Messaging: main & option
    Side Button : only one option
    also Hotsync.

    I cannot see any way to reassign the Contacts Tab? Nor the Home button without a 3rd party hack.

    Perhaps you are confusing the Calendar button with Contacts Tab?


    Sounds like you are somewhat confused at what you are doing. When it says "Calendar: main & option", that means you can assign the calendar button to a "main" function and an "option" function (meaning press option+calendar button). You can assign that to anything you want, including the Contacts app.

    As far as "tabs", you cannot map tabs. Tabs are a built-in part of the program. There is no way to map a tab.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post

    As far as "tabs", you cannot map tabs. Tabs are a built-in part of the program. There is no way to map a tab.
    Yes .. not confused but that is the issue. Since Palm has now made Contacts part of the phone app and not it's own app it would take some ingenuity (read programming) to place a hook that could suck in contacts from another app when the TAB is pressed or selected. Even better would be Palm enabling that hook as a preference such that the Contacts Tab could be assigned to an external Application.

    I am a loooong time Palm user and I am aware I can assign the Calendar button to any app .. but then of course I loose my Calendar app.

    This is what I want .. and yes I fear it is undoable at this time .. I have this as a functioning setup on my Treo 600.

    When I press Calendar it opens Agendas in the Calendar view. (that is working)
    When I used to be at the phone screen and pressed the right 5-way hat button Palm allowed you to assign that to an external app for which I had Agendas go into Contacts Mode. (this is working on my 600)

    Palm has disabled the ability to assign the 5-way from within the Phone app to an external application.
  10. #10  
    LudusP works just fine. Home goes to Silver Screen, calendar goes to Datebk5. http://www.ludustech.com/ludusp/
    Clie -> Treo 270 unlocked -> Treo 600 unlocked -> Treo 650 unlocked -> Treo 680 Crimson + Graphite (can you hold on, the other line is ringing...)
  11. #11  
    is LudusP free? Not clear from the page..is it only future support that you pay for?
  12. #12  
    why don't you just assign agendus into the first FAVORITES button which is one of the tabs and voila, a quicker way to get there from the phone app. Then you can setup for favorites to be the default tab when you open the phone app and you should have similar if not exactly the same functionality.

    Does that sound like it's answering your dilemma?
  13. #13  
    I use Goodlink and it DOES manage to reassign the contacts tab to Good Contacts. so it can be done.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    When I used to be at the phone screen and pressed the right 5-way hat button Palm allowed you to assign that to an external app for which I had Agendas go into Contacts Mode. (this is working on my 600)
    As was suggested here, why not add Agendas as a favorite mapped to a specific key -- for example the "A" button. Then to get there you only need to go into the phone app and press and hold "A". Just as fast and easy as your Treo 600.

    It sounds to me like you are just used to your old way and bummed that you have to get used to something new. There is nothing that's actually more convenient about your old way.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    is LudusP free? Not clear from the page..is it only future support that you pay for?
    Not free. It costs $5.
    Clie -> Treo 270 unlocked -> Treo 600 unlocked -> Treo 650 unlocked -> Treo 680 Crimson + Graphite (can you hold on, the other line is ringing...)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    It sounds to me like you are just used to your old way and bummed that you have to get used to something new. There is nothing that's actually more convenient about your old way.
    I think you are correct and I am used to a certain 'way'. I was already using LudasP and I did not hesitate to pay the shareware - VERY useful app. I have mapped the C key in favourites (for contacts) and use that. Ideally I would like to see the Contacts Tab (within phone app) be able to be assigned and suck in contact info in the alternate app - as someone else indicated it can be done since GoodLink has this feature - so I guess a feature request for Agendas pro.

    Thanks for all the tips guys!
  17. #17  
    best request is to get Phone App from Treo 650 or better still the treo 600 5-way nav favorites! anyone going to do this?
  18. #18  
    I have the Chapura Key Suite, which I've used with my last several treos. I'm now trying to map the contacts tab to key contacts, and can't figure out how. I see that good device contacts is mappable -- does anyone know how to map the contacts tab to key contacts?

    Note: The 680 has a neat feature in that it automatically recognizes the key contacts/key tasks, etc. when you go to regular contacts/tasks. Just not sure why they don't have that ability on the tab...

    ideas?
  19. #19  
    I'm gonna bump this because I have the same issue. Chapura's site says KeySuite is not supported on the 680. As far as I can tell, it works, except for the inability to map keycontacts to the "contacts" tab in the phone app...
  20. #20  
    I'd love to figure out how to reassign the phone button - I assigned it to go directly to PhotoDial on my old 650, and was surprised to find that the same button on the 680 could only be used to go to the basic phone app.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions