Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wanted to start a thread about the best stations and links in the Kinoma Media Guide. Please limit to just what you can find in the Kinoma Media Guide. I have had Kinoma 4 EX for just a couple of days and found the guide a lot of fun, but it is so large, it is sometime hard to find stuff. Please let your favorite channels and where they are located. My are:

ESPN TV - Sports/ ESPN TV 100k
    QuickSilver TV - Sports/ QuickSilver Boardriders TV 170k
    Nasa TV - Government/Live: Nasa TV 162 kbps
    CNN IBN TV - News/India(English)/Live CNN IBN Channel 19 News
    CNBC TV - News/India(English)/Live CNBC TV 18 Finance 232K

List your favorites.

-Jacob Bongiovanni
    Can someone help me with the Kinoma interface? I see that you guys have a Media Guide and are able to watch TV. I dont see any media guide on mine and dont know how to get it. Also i tried to watch some streaming video but it kept saying "insufficent bandwith". Can anyone tell me how i can fix this or make this work. Thanks
    Okay forget all those questions I just asked. I read another thread and figured it out. But I have a new question. CAn anyone tell me how to add radio stations?????
    ESPN TV doesn't work for me. I get a 500 Internal Server Error.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    ESPN TV doesn't work for me. I get a 500 Internal Server Error.
    Every time or just occasionally? I've tapped on known good / working radio station listings in the Kinoma 4 EX Media Guide and gotten the same kind of error one time, go back up a level, tap on the same station and it starts streaming just fine.

If you find a 100% reproducable error with anything in the Media Guide, report it to support@kinoma.com

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RWCouck View Post
    Okay forget all those questions I just asked. I read another thread and figured it out. But I have a new question. CAn anyone tell me how to add radio stations?????
    Find the URL to a radio station's stream, if one exists, and use the "Open URL" menu pull down in Kinoma 4 EX and punch it in. Assuming the URL works and the station starts streaming, then use the menu pull-down "bookmark" to add it to your list of personal bookmarks in the program. (By the way, you can beam bookmarks to anyone else running 4 EX)..

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Can someone help me with the Kinoma interface? I see that you guys have a Media Guide and are able to watch TV. I dont see any media guide on mine and dont know how to get it. Also i tried to watch some streaming video but it kept saying "insufficent bandwith". Can anyone tell me how i can fix this or make this work. Thanks
    You don't see a Media Guide and you're running Kinoma Media Player 4 EX? Hmm.. with the program running, use your five-way and highlight the "globe" icon in the bottom bar of controls. When it's highlighted it should turn blue and you should see "Kinoma Media Guide" right at the top of the resulting screen. This screen is also where any stations you later bookmark are displayed. That huge Media Guide does not live on your Treo. It lives on Kinoma's servers and is dynamically updated with new stations / links constantly added and bad or outdated links constantly removed.

Can you make and upload somewhere a screen grab of what your screen looks like with the globe icon selected? The Kinoma Media Guide should definitely be on that screen. If it's not, contact support@kinoma.com and describe the problem to them.

Harv
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by photojake View Post
    I wanted to start a thread about the best stations and links in the Kinoma Media Guide. Please limit to just what you can find in the Kinoma Media Guide. I have had Kinoma 4 EX for just a couple of days and found the guide a lot of fun, but it is so large, it is sometime hard to find stuff. Please let your favorite channels and where they are located. My are:

ESPN TV - Sports/ ESPN TV 100k
    QuickSilver TV - Sports/ QuickSilver Boardriders TV 170k
    Nasa TV - Government/Live: Nasa TV 162 kbps
    CNN IBN TV - News/India(English)/Live CNN IBN Channel 19 News
    CNBC TV - News/India(English)/Live CNBC TV 18 Finance 232K

List your favorites.

-Jacob Bongiovanni
    Not even counting the video / TV links, there are over a thousand radio stations in the Media Guide, so yeah, it's hard to know where to start. "Best" is a completely subjective thing. What appeals to me or the next guy might not interest you at all, but a few of my favorites are:

- Any of the Air America radio stations whose callsigns are in the guide, meaning they stream. There's a list of all their stations on http://www.airamerica.com/stations but you have to go through the media guide state by state to see which stations in that list stream, not all of them do, so I've picked out and bookmarked a few such as:

KPOJ in Portland, OR
    KPHX in Phoenix, AZ
    WAVZ in CT
    WCPT in Chicago, IL
    WWRL in New York City, NY

If you're allergic to Al Franken, Randi Rhodes, Ed Schultz and the rest of their hosts, then look for political talk in the red zone instead.

I'm an old time radio show (OTR) collector and although I have about 30,000 shows on about 100 CD-Rs, every Sunday night, WAMU - 88.5 FM in Washington DC (listed in the Media Guide under District of Columbia) streams four hours of OTR called "The Big Broadcast" from 7pm-11pm ET. (Adjust for your time zone).. I'd love to find a 24/7 streaming OTR station but I don't think any exist.

In the Media Guide under Radio Stations / Radio Feeds UK / Stations O-Q, you'll find "Planet Rock", an outstanding classic rock station in England.

I also like the live NPR Program Stream (I got Kinoma to add that to the Media Guide and it's in a couple different places).. and that CNN feed from India you listed is also excellent. Odd that they had to pull CNN from India and not be able to provide CNN's live USA feed. I guess they couldn't do a deal with CNN like they did with ABC, CNBC, and MSNBC although the Media Guide does have CNN podcasts and other pre-recorded specials

And under News in the Media Guide is the 96K video stream of Air America's show "The Young Turks" (highly progressive liberal hosts, as are on all of the Air America stations and feeds, so it depends on your personal political preferences as to whether you'll like it or not). One of the three hosts is Ben Mankewicz who is also Turner Classic Movies' weekend daytime host on cable TeeVee. (I wish TCM offered free streaming.. it's my favorite cable teevee network.. I'm a huge fan of old movies / film noir and the other stuff they show.. but they don't stream, unfortunately)..

Those are just a few of my favorites. The Media Guide is so huge you could literally listen to one radio station a day from it for the next three years and not hear them all

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 12/11/2006 at 03:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    I've been playing around for this for several days. Quite a few of the radio stations don't work. Video is choppy most of the time. I'm on a 700P Verizon with EVDO. I was hoping for better results.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    If you're into OTR (Old Time Radio shows), here's a fun link to punch into Kinoma Player 4 EX's "open URL" menu selection:

http://otrshow.libsyn.com/rss

This will open a screen full of links to 90 minute broadcasts / podcasts of Bobb Lynes' "Old Time Radio Show." Bobb is a living legend to fans of OTR. His show has been on half a dozen different radio stations in So. Calif. since 1974. Currently, he's on KPFK 90.7 FM for three hours starting at Midnight on the first Monday of each month. That link will take you to archives of a few months worth of his latest shows in whcih he plays all different kinds of OTR shows.

You'll probably also want to go into the player's preferences and select "prefer download to streaming" so the player will pre-fetch these long podcasts as it starts playing them. A small SD card icon will appear in the upper right hand corner of the screen next to the back arrow when that preference is checked, but this will NOT cause a huge file to be written to your SD card unless you tap that icon so a checkmark appears into it. It will just pre-fetch the entire file so you can use the progress bar as it plays (the bar uses three colors - black means this is how far into the file it's playing, white means this is how much of the file has been pre-fetched, gray means this is how much of the file has yet to be pre-fetched)..

If you DO want to save a streamable podcast to your card, then tap that little SD card icon so a checkmark appears and have plenty of room on your card

Kinoma will probably be creating a separate, new OTR category in the Media Guide under "News and Entertainment." I'm a huge fan of OTR and have been looking for more links for them to add to the Media Guide. Meanwhile, you can just open that URL and then bookmark it.

For each of Bobb's shows, look at the "details" window in the player and you'll see which OTR shows he played in that file / broadcast / podcast

Another treat for OTR fans can be found by going into the Media Guide and selecting WAMU-FM under District of Columbia from 7-11pm every Sunday evening, ET when they run "The Big Broadcast" - four hours of OTR shows hosted by Ed Walker. This one is streamed live, not a pre-recorded podcast

Harv
    Espn still not workin. I let Kinoma know. I guess we will see.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    Another treat for OTR fans can be found by going into the Media Guide and selecting WAMU-FM under District of Columbia from 7-11pm every Sunday evening, ET when they run "The Big Broadcast" - four hours of OTR shows hosted by Ed Walker. This one is streamed live, not a pre-recorded podcast
    Excellent, Harv. I live in DC (even went to AU) and didn't know about this radio show. Thanks for posting this!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Excellent, Harv. I live in DC (even went to AU) and didn't know about this radio show. Thanks for posting this!
    Hah! I can't believe I found another OTR fan here. I was Googling around last night looking for rss feeds of OTR podcasts to give to Kinoma, (they agreed to add an OTR category into the Media Guide under "Entertainment and Talk", but I can't tell you when it'll show up..) .. after I verified they worked, and I came up with these, which all work (there are probably hundreds more out there).. Just use 4 EX's "Open URL" menu item, enter these exactly, as each one connects it'll display a list of the available shows that feed's list contains, (highlight and tap one to listen to it).. after a feed's list load, bookmark it and you'll never have to enter the URL again. These feeds contain hundreds of hours of OTR shows of all descriptions

http://boxcars711.libsyn.com/rss <-- this one is a HUGE list of shows,
    takes a while to load but it works

http://www.vintageradioshows.com/pod...radioshows.rss

http://mysteryplay.libsyn.com/rss

http://www.podshow.com/feeds/otrsuspense.xml

http://www.comicweb.com/podcasts/old...ioprograms.xml

There are a lot more OTR feeds out there, some of them didn't work so I didn't include them, but I verified that all of the ones above work - at least they all worked for me

For the ones that TC's forum software inserted ("...") into to shorten it, just mouse over it and you'll see the full link in your Browser's status bar, at least you will in IE if you have view / status bar turned on

Harv
    Can you point me to that thread?
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treowolf View Post
    Can you point me to that thread?
    Thanks!
    - If you know for a fact that a given radio station is not in the Kinoma Media guide already and that it streams in a format 4 EX can play, select "Open URL" from the pull down menu, enter the streaming URL for it, wait and see if it connects and steams and if it does, use the other menu pulldown and book mark it. Then it'll be there for you every time you select the "globe" icon in the bottom control bar

and / or

- Send the radio station's steaming URL to support@kinoma.com and ask them to add it to the Media guide. If it's a USA station, tell them what State it's in so they can put it in the right place in the guide.

Harv
    Dumb question

How do you fine the URL?

SPG
    Yes I got ESPn working and OTR stations..... Yeah those are HOT. Thanks for the links
    I've not had time to play with Kinoma yet, but to find URL's for pTunes, what I used to do was either go to the webpage of (whatever) and search for it... or click on the streaming link which would load either RealPlayer or Windows Media Player (I forget now, which I used). I'd then (while the stream was playing) look at the "properties" in RP or WMP. The URL was there. There are probably easier ways, but that worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SPG View Post
    Dumb question

How do you fine the URL?

SPG
    What did you (or Kinoma) do to resolve your problem with ESPN?

Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    Yes I got ESPn working and OTR stations..... Yeah those are HOT. Thanks for the links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast