Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For the past week I have been getting a "calendar synchronization failed" message when I synch my Treo 650 to the Palm 1 desktop. I haven't added or deleted any software in many months, so I am not sure what could be the explanation. I've read thru some of the other posts on similar topics in this forum, and this problem seems a little different than the others I've seen.

Any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I would try and uninstall Hotsync manager and reinstall it. It could be just a hiccup in the software.
  3.    #3  
    How is that done? All I have is the Palm desktop software disk.
    uninstall and re-install Palm desktop.

What does the Hotsync log say?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    If it is hanging up trying to sync the calendar, you can try db Scan - part of the Datebook6 download package from http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk6.htm - the documentation is in the package. If that does not work, then you can copy the calendar info from the Treo manually to the desktop and then sync back to the device with "desktop overwrites device."
    Ben
  6.    #6  
    BenJoeM:
    How do you specifically uninstall and reinstall Hotsync manager?

APrasad:
    The hotsync log says:
    Calendar synchronization failed.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled the Palm desktop software. Same problem remains.

BClinger:
    It's not hanging up. It appears to go thru the sync routine just fine.

Any other suggestions?
    Try dbScan anyway. On running it, select Neither, then Menu-Options-Remove All Deleted Records.

If everything looks good after that on the handheld, backup (copy) the .dat file in the Datebook directory on the PC, change the conduit settings to "Handheld overwrites desktop" and hotsync.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  8.    #8  
    APrasad:
    I ran the dbScan program. I was able to remove deleted records from the PalmSource directory, but on the PalmOne directory I got a "Error deleting old database, code 517" message, so I didn't go any further.

You wrote
    >backup (copy) the .dat file in the Datebook directory on the PC, change the conduit settings to "Handheld overwrites desktop"

How do you change the conduit settings? And also, I don't necessarily want the handheld to overwrite the desktop - I'd like them to synchronize as before. And what do I do with the backup copy of the .dat file?
    You change the conduit settings by right clicking on the Hotsync icon in the system tray (bottom right in Windows), selecting Custom, etc.

My idea was that you would want to clear any corruption on either the Treo or on the PC and force that data to the other device.

You can check for corruption in Palm Desktop as well: Tools-Options-Tools
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The reason I said uninstall the hotsync manager or palm desktop is because it could be corrupted.

I would try two things.

1. Do a backup of the phone, via hotsync or using a backup program. Then do a hard reset of the phone. This will wipe the memory clean. Then do a new hotsync. Sometimes random programs can cause conduits to stop working. Once I had a Solitaire game that stopped the hotsync button from working. If it syncs you know it is something with your configuration. Then I would start from scratch, try just installing programs you need and work your way up.

2. Uninstall the Palm Desktop, restart the computer. Then reinstall. This should reset the settings.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  11.    #11  
    Aprasad:
    I checked for data corruption in Palm Desktop using Tools-Options-Tools as you suggested. Because there were no corrupted records on the PC, and because I had gotten an error message when dbScan ran on the Treo, I decided to change the conduit so that the Desktop overwrote the Treo rather than vice versa, since the dbScan result made me think the Treo might have corrupted data. I did a sync, and found the same error message in the log that's been causing me problems. Interestingly, when I went back to reset the conduit to the original "synchronize" setting, I found that this had already occurred during the synch. Weird.

BenJoeM:
    I am trying to find solutions that will enable me to avoid doing a hard reset, since it's so time consuming to reload everything, but if all else fails, I guess that will be my only remaining option.

I did uninstall and reinstall Palm Desktop. While I didn't restart the computer between the uninstall and the reinstall, the reinstall did have a mandatory restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by dshimm View Post
    Interestingly, when I went back to reset the conduit to the original "synchronize" setting, I found that this had already occurred during the synch. Weird.
    That's normal. Any changes to conduit are only for the next Hotsync, unless you make that change permanent by checking "Set as default" on that dialog box.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  13.    #13  
    APrasad:
    Does it make any sense here to try a sync after setting the conduit to "Handheld overwrites PC," even though the programs I've run so far indicate that the corrupted data is in the Harndheld rather than the Treo?
    No. If everything looks good on the PC in Palm Desktop, do a "PC overwrites Handheld" sync once for that Calendar conduit (not the Backup conduit!!).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  15.    #15  
    Aprasad:
    Tried it. No joy.
    I'm out of ideas. Try hotsyncing after a warm reset (and with PD overwrites handheld for Calendar).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  17.    #17  
    APrasad:
    Nice thought, but again, no joy.
    Looks like I'm going to have to try a hard reset when I've got the time to reinstall my software. Darnit! I just hope it works.
  18.    #18  
    APrasad, BenJoeM, BClinger:

Thanks for all your help. I bit the bullet, did a hard reset and then a sync, and came out error-free.

I'm not sure what the problem originally could have been, but it seems to be gone now that I've done the hard reset, and hopefully I won't see it again.

David
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dshimm View Post
    APrasad, BenJoeM, BClinger:

Thanks for all your help. I bit the bullet, did a hard reset and then a sync, and came out error-free.

I'm not sure what the problem originally could have been, but it seems to be gone now that I've done the hard reset, and hopefully I won't see it again.

David
    Sometimes the files just get a little crazy. Sometimes it can be a program you had and then deleted, the leftovers can even cause syncs to fail.
    I find hard-reset + reinstalls therapeutic. Highly recommended every 6 months
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast