1.    #1  
    Why, oh why must Palm developers change the basics of how the phone acts/responds to calls and hardware buttons with every release of a new device? Oh, I guess it justifies the developer's job, but it creates a nightmare for software developers who must make their product work with ALL THE DEVICES! Palm only has to make the changes work with the installed software, which doesn't include any of the cool stuff everybody is using to enhance what Palm neglected to include to make the Treo fully functional.

Rob, from Hobbyist Software expressed his frustration in an email to customers today about this, and I know first hand from working part-time with iambic (Agendus) that coding for all these iterations of Palm's phone app and button assignments is rediculous.

So next time you're inclined to write to iambic, Hobbyist, or whomever and scream and yell "your software hosed my Treo," be considerate and mindful of the tough job Palm lays on software developers with their incessant penchant for "change" for change's sake!
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    On October 17, 2005 the wonderful keyboard replacement 'Fitaly' was discontinued from the Palm OS because the developers' efforts would be compromised with every new Palm product that came to the market. On top of that customers kept blaming them for the software glitches. Personally I'm planning to switch to WM5 now that we have a Missing Sync option for the Mac. All I'm waiting for is Sprint's follow up to the 6700.

RicardoG
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoG View Post
    Personally I'm planning to switch to WM5 now that we have a Missing Sync option for the Mac. All I'm waiting for is Sprint's follow up to the 6700.

RicardoG
    Dumb question. If you use Missing Sync on Mac for a WM device, how do you load add'l software and conduits if the installer is an .exe file?
    Clie -> Treo 270 unlocked -> Treo 600 unlocked -> Treo 650 unlocked -> Treo 680 Crimson + Graphite (can you hold on, the other line is ringing...)
    Can someone post Rob's email/text?
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
  5.    #5  
    I had deleted the email before seeing your request. See last post on this page:

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,42417.0.html

"ConfusedVorlon" is Rob! His frustration was even more evident in the email.
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    "Dumb question. If you use Missing Sync on Mac for a WM device, how do you load add'l software and conduits if the installer is an .exe file?"

I'd say overwhelmingly 90% of the software is available via .cab file now, so you install either OTA or just drag-n-drop on the device and install from there.

if the software is not available via .cab (very rare) just writing the developer or asking someone for it gets the job done.

I rarely run the .exe installers and I use WinXp.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    "I'd say overwhelmingly 90% of the software is available via .cab file now, so you install either OTA or just drag-n-drop on the device and install from there.
    I gather than on a PC the device shows up as a drive or something to allow the drag and drop. I wonder how Missing Sync handles that on a Mac?? Perhaps drag the .cab into the installer window?
    Clie -> Treo 270 unlocked -> Treo 600 unlocked -> Treo 650 unlocked -> Treo 680 Crimson + Graphite (can you hold on, the other line is ringing...)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonlTreo View Post
    I gather than on a PC the device shows up as a drive or something to allow the drag and drop. I wonder how Missing Sync handles that on a Mac?? Perhaps drag the .cab into the installer window?
    From their website is seems extremely easy:

"To install files or applications in Windows Cabinet (CAB) format, simply drag them to The Missing Sync, and they will be queued. If your device is connected, files will begin copying immediately, and a progress bar provides status."

http://www.markspace.com/images/shot_ms_wm5_install.jpg

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter