Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I am a medical device sales rep and have been using some form of a Palm based phone from Sprint since 1998. I used one of the old grey scale flip phones to the I300 and then the Treo 600 and now the Treo 650. The 650 has been used for about a year. So I have a history with the Palm OS system and like it. I use versamail for Outlook as my primary e-mail application when I travel to stay in touch with corporate and customers. So I donít have to lug my laptop along. I do not use any Documents to Go applications but could certainly use it.

Sprint service has gotten continually worse in my neighborhood and house over the last 4 years. While giving Sprint the benefit of the doubt that they would fix it, they havenít. My phones signal strength bounces around from Roaming to 1 to 2 bars of strength to No Service all in the span of several minutes all while sitting on my desk. This was true of the 600 as well. And I have experienced UNBELIEVABLEY BAD customer support over the last 3 months. But thatís an entirely different post.

So now my Sprint contract is finally up. I intend on going with Cingular as many of my neighbors use it and it seems to be the only service that works consistently in my home and hospitals that I work in. I tried a 700W with Verizon and service was no better than Sprint.

So my question is to go with the Treo 680 with Cingular or to maybe go with the BlackJack or even the Blackberry Pearl? The 680 seems like a lateral move but maintains the touch screen and familiar Palm OS. But the BlackJack is intriguing with WM5 and the Windows Office Applications. And the Blackberry Pearl seems a very interesting option as well with its word recognition in e-mail and text. I also like the option of long battery life with the Pearl.

Does anyone have any experience moving from a Treo 650 to a BlackJack or a Blackberry Pearl, or vice versa, and what was your learning curve, happiness with the switch, etc.?

I carry my Treo 650 phone with a silicone skin in my pocket. I refuse to use a holster. So the problem with the Pearlís trackball getting jostled and turning the ringer off or making mystery calls from my pocket could be a deal breaker.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Akayak View Post
    I am a medical device sales rep and have been using some form of a Palm based phone from Sprint since 1998. I used one of the old grey scale flip phones to the I300 and then the Treo 600 and now the Treo 650. The 650 has been used for about a year. So I have a history with the Palm OS system and like it. I use versamail for Outlook as my primary e-mail application when I travel to stay in touch with corporate and customers. So I donít have to lug my laptop along. I do not use any Documents to Go applications but could certainly use it.

Sprint service has gotten continually worse in my neighborhood and house over the last 4 years. While giving Sprint the benefit of the doubt that they would fix it, they havenít. My phones signal strength bounces around from Roaming to 1 to 2 bars of strength to No Service all in the span of several minutes all while sitting on my desk. This was true of the 600 as well. And I have experienced UNBELIEVABLEY BAD customer support over the last 3 months. But thatís an entirely different post.

So now my Sprint contract is finally up. I intend on going with Cingular as many of my neighbors use it and it seems to be the only service that works consistently in my home and hospitals that I work in. I tried a 700W with Verizon and service was no better than Sprint.

So my question is to go with the Treo 680 with Cingular or to maybe go with the BlackJack or even the Blackberry Pearl? The 680 seems like a lateral move but maintains the touch screen and familiar Palm OS. But the BlackJack is intriguing with WM5 and the Windows Office Applications. And the Blackberry Pearl seems a very interesting option as well with its word recognition in e-mail and text. I also like the option of long battery life with the Pearl.

Does anyone have any experience moving from a Treo 650 to a BlackJack or a Blackberry Pearl, or vice versa, and what was your learning curve, happiness with the switch, etc.?

I carry my Treo 650 phone with a silicone skin in my pocket. I refuse to use a holster. So the problem with the Pearlís trackball getting jostled and turning the ringer off or making mystery calls from my pocket could be a deal breaker.

Thanks

FWIW, I am a road warrior/regional account exec for a Hardware/Software solution Co. I have used the 650 for the last 2 years on Cingular, and was Curious about WM and the BlackJack when it came out. Granted I only tried it for 4 days, but it was more than enough for me to realize that after 12 years with Palm OS, I was ecstatic 4 days later when I got my hands on the 680. And if I am going to use a device that needs to have 2 batteries (blackjack comes standard with 2 batteries due to short battery life), I might as well have the 680 and carry a spare as I am doing now. I felt lost on the BlackJack (although it it small and cool looking, it is too small for my big man hands).

as for the Pearl, I am not knowledgeable about it at all, but my concerns would be the same as yours, besides the fact that I would not use a blackberry device because of the number of apps available for palm os, and the fact that I love the touchscreen on the treo, etc, etc, etc. I could go on and on.

You WILL need extended batteries for the 680 (available for Seidio in 2 - 3 weeks) if you are a power user like me.

My 2 cents.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    I am a Family Medicine physician and have used Palm OS since its inception. It has always served me well as an organizer and reference (which is plentiful under Palm OS) but it is so important for me to have flawless bluetooth compatibility for my car (05 BMW 325ci) that I am really, seriously considering the tmobile Dash which I hear is perfect with the BMW bluetooth car kit. I am struggling with the fact that it has no touch screen and less intuitive and has fewer medical apps, reference. Anyone want to try to talk me out of going to the dark side?
    I was very impressed with the Blackjack, but decided against it since it was not compatible with the BMW blutooth system in my car. But after playing with the Treo 680, I have to admit that things just work better in Palm OS than in Windows Mobile. What impressed me about the Blackjack was the size and the capability -- it has 3G which means super fast internet. It also had access to Cingular Video -- their streaming video service.

If you don't need those extra things and you use your phone mostly for voice calls, email and messaging, then the Treo 680 is definately the better phone. The touch screen makes it so much easier to navagate around. Things that take 10-12 button clicks in Windows Mobile only take 2-3 button clicks or screen taps on the Treo.

As far as the Blackberry Pearl, my dad just got one yesterday. What is nice about this phone is that it is the size of a regular phone. But again, it is not as intuitive as the Treo. Everything is menu based. What is nice is that you have push email.

My dad is basically a novice when it comes to computers and smartphones. I doubt he will ever use anything except making phone calls and checking his email. He also didn't want a large phone. I showed him the Treo, but he said it was too big. So I felt the Pearl woudl be good for him as it would be easy for him to just make phone calls and check his email.
    Eric, did any of the phonebook (contacts) move over to the BMW so that you can make phone calls without touching your phone? That is the big deal for me.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I had both the Pearl and the Dash. Both are nice phones, but the Pearl integration with the Mac leaves a lot to be desired. The Pearl is a nice little phone, great email and decent applications...you'll click more than with palm OS, but it's pretty intuitive and the small size cannot be beat. I have one that I will sell for a great price (contact me backchannel) if someone wants to try one. It just is not Mac friendly enough to make it worth it for me.

The Dash was more Mac-friendly with Missing Sync for Win Mobile, but I gave it up after a week because I wasn't crazy about their native email client (flexmail is a better alternative--i need IMAP4 push), and their browser did not support Javascript so to properly display Ajax pages. The wi-fi too, wasn't all that. I decided that the times I really need wifi, I really want a laptop. Wifi on a PDA (any PDA) is like trying to suck a watermelon through a straw, thanks to less than full featured browsers and tiny screens.

Other than that I can highly recommend it, if you don't mind the Windows interface. It really isn't bad, it is just that I have a lot of accessories invested in the treo, my wife uses one, and I can't go without my tomTom navigator which is not yet available for the Dash. So it was the 680 for me.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    You can't really go wrong with any of these devices. For you, it will come down to what you want. Do you like the idea of a touchscreen, and a nice form factor? Do you like a having a full keyboard. What camera (if any) do you want in the device.

What OS intrigues you? Most carriers offer you a 30 day trial. Heck, try all of them out. Each device will offer you something different.

I work with a service desk, and we support WM, and Blackberry devices. We offer no support for POS. Despite this, I choose to use a 680. For me, it does what I need it to do, and it does it well.

Good luck in your search.
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbeanie View Post
    Eric, did any of the phonebook (contacts) move over to the BMW so that you can make phone calls without touching your phone? That is the big deal for me.
    I don't have my 680 yet, but there have already been a few people that have confirmed that the 680 works with the BMW system. But just like all other Treos, it does not download your entire phonebook, but instead only downloads the contacts you have in your favorites. I'm pretty sure this was an intentional feature by Palm. Scrolling through all your contacts on your BMW system (or any car system) can be time consuming if you have a very long contact list. So this makes it easier in that it only downloads the ones you want.
    Yes, I'm using a 680 with a 2006 BMW 330i. It downloads the favorites to the car and seems to work fine. One nice feature is the signal strength shows up in the radio display and updates as the signal changes (it didn't do that with a 700p).

For the original poster, you eventually will be able to get a Treo 750 from Cingular. Almost the same form factor as the 680, a really cool dark blue rubberized paint exterior and WM5 with high-speed UMTS data.

I would recommend you look at the must have features you need and decide the device from there. For me, I'm in a quandry since the 750v has the high-speed data I want, doesn't use Palm OS (which I prefer Palm OS but it's not a must have) and work terribly with the bluetooth in my car. The 680 uses Palm OS, work great with my car, but has no high-speed data and isn't quite as high quality as the 750v.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    I don't have my 680 yet, but there have already been a few people that have confirmed that the 680 works with the BMW system. But just like all other Treos, it does not download your entire phonebook, but instead only downloads the contacts you have in your favorites. I'm pretty sure this was an intentional feature by Palm. Scrolling through all your contacts on your BMW system (or any car system) can be time consuming if you have a very long contact list. So this makes it easier in that it only downloads the ones you want.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Yes, I'm using a 680 with a 2006 BMW 330i. It downloads the favorites to the car and seems to work fine. One nice feature is the signal strength shows up in the radio display and updates as the signal changes (it didn't do that with a 700p).
    Hey...I noticed you had a 700p and now a 680. I have a question for you that is unrelated to this thread, so I will PM you.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hey MattM2G? OOOOOOHHHHHHH-!!! Are you going to the NC game in Glendale? Let me know. I rented a motorhome and got a RV parking spot outside the stadium. Going to have several kegs and hot dogs. TV for those who can't get tix...

Thanks to everyones suggestions. I went with the 680 and Cingular is working unbelievably compared to Sprint service. Good ridance to them after 8 years of my loyalty and their crappy customer service.

Off to get a skin on ebay...

Go Bucks!!!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    One other thing...

Anyone want to buy a Sprint Treo 650? It's in great shape. Just didn't work for me in my cave in CO.

Make an offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akayak View Post
    Hey MattM2G? OOOOOOHHHHHHH-!!! Are you going to the NC game in Glendale? Let me know. I rented a motorhome and got a RV parking spot outside the stadium. Going to have several kegs and hot dogs. TV for those who can't get tix...

Thanks to everyones suggestions. I went with the 680 and Cingular is working unbelievably compared to Sprint service. Good ridance to them after 8 years of my loyalty and their crappy customer service.

Off to get a skin on ebay...

Go Bucks!!!

Thanks for asking!! Quite a funny story actually. I have been sweating the polls the last week, because my connection for tix is a Friend of the Gator program!!! As a Buckeye fan, it is a very ironic situation, but I am sooo glad it worked out the way it did. I have had rooms booked at the Mondrian in Phoenix for over a month (Through a business connection), and I would have most likely still gone, but would have a harder time getting tickets. So we have GREAT seats, and are looking forward to a weekend of fun. It's been many, many years since I have partied like a college student. Send me a PM and let me know where you will be and we will stop by and trade 680 stories!!!

IT could also be a HUGE winter though, because I am originally from Chicago, and a lifelong BEAR FAN (My family has had season tickets for 50+ yrs)!!! So if the bears go to the super bowl, I am going to HAVE to find a way to go to Miami as well!!! I may have to take out a 2nd mortgage to finance my first quarter of 2006, or just sell alot more!!!

Go Bucks!!! Go Bears!! Go Treo 680!!! WooooooHooooooo
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    I've concluded that it all amounts to preference in terms of which OS is better. I've been a PDA user since the early Palm Pilot days. When the Pocket PC devices were first released by Compaq, I made the switch. It was great that there was relatively seemless integration with the Windows Desktop.

Once the converged devices came out, I was interested in having one. I tried the Treo 600 and sent it back within 48 hours. But the Treo 650 was ok. I was flexible enough to use the Palm OS again even though I had grown quite comfortable with the Pocket PC. Because of the reset issues and volume issues with my three different 650s, I finally went back to Windows devices.

I've been using them since then. I have had the iMate JAM, Qtek 9000, Qtek 9100, iMate JAMin and most recently the TyTn. I'm an early adopter and just keep on upgrading to the latest and greatest. Just the other day, I tried the 680. I sent it back when it royally screwed up my Exchange Server. But at least I was willing to try Palm again.

Ultimately, the Palm OS is desperately in need of an upgrade. For those loyalists who think that anything but Palm is the dark side, more power to you. If it works for you, it works for you. But I can tell you this. The Treo 680 cannot match the power and capability of the TyTn or any of the recent Windows Mobile devices. I agree that the form factor of the Treo series is remarkable. That's what caught my attention; not the outdated Palm OS.

So, if you depend on seemless enterprise integration, the Windows devices may be quite ahead. This is definitely so if you want to sync with an Exchange Server. Otherwise, the Treos may just do the job for you.
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post

For the original poster, you eventually will be able to get a Treo 750 from Cingular. Almost the same form factor as the 680, a really cool dark blue rubberized paint exterior and WM5 with high-speed UMTS data.

I would recommend you look at the must have features you need and decide the device from there. For me, I'm in a quandry since the 750v has the high-speed data I want, doesn't use Palm OS (which I prefer Palm OS but it's not a must have) and work terribly with the bluetooth in my car. The 680 uses Palm OS, work great with my car, but has no high-speed data and isn't quite as high quality as the 750v.
    Would you share with me how you paired your 680 with your BMW? I have a 2003 BMW 330i and found it worked fine with my Treo 650. However when pairing with the Treo 680, the car and 680 both say the pairing was successful but when I turn the car off and turn it back on, though it indicates it has connected, I get a "no phone" message when I try to scroll down the favorites list. I really appreciate any help you can give me because if I can't get it to work I will have to take it back and just use my old Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I've been a PalmOS guy since I got into this PDA thing. I was unsure myself and even as I ordered the 680 I was wondering about BlackJack or even thinking I should wait for the WM 750...??? Well, My nephew just got the B/Jack and it's very nice in many ways but I love my new 680 EVEN BETTER and even more than the 650 I had for the past year. It's funny, since I've had my new 680 for almost a week I haven't even thought about the new 750 any longer!

The 680 rocks hands down!!!