Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Someone that i know has a cingular treo 650 and recently it has started having some issues with the call quality. It has good signal on it and i already have them do a hard reset and the problem is still there. What is happening is while on a call the person on the receiving end of the call heres nothing but choppy voice quality. This happens all the time and it always sounds like its breaking up. Im looking for any suggestions as to what may be causing this or if a new phone is in order. Thanks for the help.

Ty
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I've had the same problem through five 650s.

If it is a Cingular user I suggest they make sure they have the newest sim available. Not only should it be a 64k sim, but it should also be a new style 3g sim.

That was the advice I got from a high level tech at Cingular...and guess what...it made a difference.
    --Nelson
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    that was my next question to the person i am helping and i think they still have the old 32k sim. I work at a radioshack so i will have to see if we have the new 3g ones in, i know we have the 64k. Does cingular upgrade sim chips for free if you have an old one b/c i know we charge 25 bucks for it.
    Good point about the SIM chip upgrade... however, another thing to double check is the version of the firmware.

..Handspring...\..........Palm.........\.........Palm........\.........Palm......\.....Motorola.....
    .VisorDeluxe.../............Vx.........../........M-100......./......Treo650.../.......Droid........
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    i upgraded the firmware when they got it so unless they have came out with a new version since 3 or 4 months ago then it should be good. I have a 700p now so i dont really follow the 650 anymore. Does anyone know if cingular upgrades the sim for free?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcd2004 View Post
    that was my next question to the person i am helping and i think they still have the old 32k sim. I work at a radioshack so i will have to see if we have the new 3g ones in, i know we have the 64k. Does cingular upgrade sim chips for free if you have an old one b/c i know we charge 25 bucks for it.
    I was not charged. The tech suggested that I go to a company store (as opposed to an agent).
    --Nelson
    What would be different?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterrk View Post
    What would be different?
    the old sim cards cant pick up on the new towers/technology as well as the new ones can. The old sim cards are the pretty much all white ones that say 32k, then they switched the the blue and white 64k, and now they have the 3G sims.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterrk View Post
    What would be different?
    I can't tell you why it works...but...in my case it improved the call quality that folks at the other end of the call hear. I used to get constant complaints that my calls were choppy at the other end. Those comments are almost gone. However...no one says that it is great sound quality.
    --Nelson