Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer View Post
    OK, just tried putting Volume Care on my 680. It definitely boosts the speaker phone volume enough to make it usable (not super-loud, but definitely a vast improvement).

BUT.... strangely enough, the handset volume is actually louder when I DON'T enable VolumeCare. Using the 680's native volume control, I'm able to get the headset significantly louder that I can with VC.

Weird huh?
    Very weird!! I haven't found that to be the case on mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    Very weird!! I haven't found that to be the case on mine.
    It's so bizarre that we could encounter such vast variations across basically the same model device. Maybe it's just the way the different apps we have installed are interacting with the 680's OS? Can't figure it...
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I'm wondering if it is just happening on a call, and varies from call to call on each phone. It sounded like it was worse for people in vehicle.

Could it be the echo cancellation cutting the speaker to much? Especially if there is more background noise?

I know the T650 microphone leaked too much for echo cancellation to work properly (actually not cancelling). But maybe the T680 is too agressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by juancuero View Post
    I'm wondering if it is just happening on a call, and varies from call to call on each phone. It sounded like it was worse for people in vehicle.

Could it be the echo cancellation cutting the speaker to much? Especially if there is more background noise?

I know the T650 microphone leaked too much for echo cancellation to work properly (actually not cancelling). But maybe the T680 is too agressive.
    Unfortunately, I have the low-volume issue in quiet rooms as well as in-car. Signal strength does not make a difference nor does a post, hard reset, clean setup. I'm just glad it's not a huge issue for me right now.
    "That's right Ice-man, I am dangerous"
    I tried both volumecare and Butler. as I put sound into 'boost' it actually got quieter(!) then louder as I increased the volume above this point. I never found either apps to particularly help (certainly not like on the 650).

Palm: go see how loud a Nokia is on speakerphone. that's what we expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer View Post
    OK, just tried putting Volume Care on my 680. It definitely boosts the speaker phone volume enough to make it usable (not super-loud, but definitely a vast improvement).

BUT.... strangely enough, the handset volume is actually louder when I DON'T enable VolumeCare. Using the 680's native volume control, I'm able to get the headset significantly louder that I can with VC.

Weird huh?
    The handset volume is probably a configuration problem in your installation of VolumeCare.

Here is the recommended settings for VolumeCare on the Treo 680:

1) use AUTOMATIC MODE (this is very imporatant unless you have really mastered VolumeCare)
    2) Make sure you continue to hit the Volume UP button during a phone call until the bottom bar moves!

VolumeCare has been measured to increase both the SpeakerPhone and the HandSet volume by 10 decibels.

You can also increase the default boost level for each call by doing the following:

1) Select ADVANCED MODE
    2) Tap on the Configuration button next to ADVANCED MODE
    3) Use the 5-way navigation button to arrow down so the BLUE ring is in the check box next to the desired speaker type
    4) Press the 5-way navigation LEFT button one time. This will move the BLUE ring to the Boost Level configuration control for the desired speaker.
    5) Press the RIGHT 5-way navigation button 1 or more times. Remember that each press of the 5-way RIGHT will increase the overall sound level. So use your own judgement on how many times to actually increase the level. Perhaps try it one click at a time and then make a phone call.
    6) Return to the main screen of VolumeCare
    7) Select AUTOMATIC MODE

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff... that really helped!
    Following up....

Just got the replacement yesterday. Let it warm up to room temp. Put in a freshly charged battery. Put in the SIM. Called my voicemail. Hit speakerphone and............. low volume.

Hmmmmm.

Checked volume.... full

Even with Volume Care installed on my original, it was not at all loud compared to the ringer, alerts or music/movies played through the speaker. I had my hearing tested not too long ago and I know that my hardware is fine too.

Harumph.

Violence and much footstomping notwithstanding, anyone have any good ideas?
    "That's right Ice-man, I am dangerous"
    hmm, has anyone else received their replacement yet from palm? did it fix the issue?

This thread made me think of people who hold the phone a foot away from their ear and yell into the phone.....grandpa?
    Okay...I'm just posting this for new Treo owners who may not know, so don't blast me or call me a smart***

You do have to adjust the volume control for calls in each individual situation. Turning the volume up when not on a phone call will increase the ringer volume. but not the call volume. While on a call you have to increase the ringer volume for the earpiece and then enable speakerphone to increase the speakerphone volume. There are three different volume controls. At least that is the case on my 650 and 680.
    i have both 750V and 680
    both handsets have equal volume on speaker and internal while on phone and music etc.
    the 650 I had is no comparison to either phone the 650 sucked.

if it matters, I got an unlocked Palm directly from PALM on Jan 10 2007, maybe earlier devices had the volume problem..
    Have trouble with the speaker (only during phonecalls) of my phone I mailed Palm support about it. It's "the other problem" (b.t.w. first one is about the battery)
    This is their answer:

"There is a "trick" to it, to reset the battery's memory you could do following; take the battery and SIMcard out, after 2-3 min. insert the battery again but leave the SIM out, keep it charged overnight and please do not use the device while performing above standing action.

The other problem, I've tried it myself with several devices and carriers, can not be solved, not even after repair, the speaker is okay, you've said it yourself, music, games, ringtones its all good quality.
    Telephonecalls are in inferior quality compared to the above apps, thats "normal", its rather a carrier thing, the soundquality of a telephone call.

If you have any further questions please contact us again.

Kind Regards, Brian Petrick
    Palm Technical Support"
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123