Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    An issue here is that volume levels are very subjective. What is soft to one person may be loud to another. That's not a chip on the shoulder.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasAtty View Post
    Alright folks, some of you need to remove the enormous chip from your shoulder. It seems clear that some people are having a problem that others are not having. Is that uncommon? If it were, this forum would not exist.

I haven't loaded any software on the device that was not included on the CDs. I guess the Yahoo! app could be doing something, but I don't think Palm would've included it without thoroughly testing it on the device. I think one of the posters above had a good point with the idea that the mic might be causing the problem, I don't know. But I do know that the speakerphone on my Arctic 680 doesn't work very well. The ringer is really loud, and so is music played through the speaker, but I can't use the speakerphone in my car without holding it right up next to my ear . . . which pretty much makes it useless to me. Could it be a problem on the Arctics only? Doesn't seem likely, but who knows.

Regardless, some of you should drop the "what's wrong with you people" crap. Nothing is perfect, and there are usually problems that arise with new devices. This seems to be a problem for some.

hmm, i've been using my treo since yesterday and the speakerphone is extremely low-volume, as in barely audible! i have to hold mine up right next to my ear in the car too!! i have an Arctic one...

maybe it IS an artic prob?? ugh.

ETA: btw, the speaker is super loud for other functions- ringtones, music, alerts, etc.

Palm Vx->Palm m505->Palm Tungsten T3
    Wow, that's incredible! There must be something wrong, I've used a Graphite Cingular and a Crimson unlocked and both were not like that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gandrtm View Post
    hmm, i've been using my treo since yesterday and the speakerphone is extremely low-volume, as in barely audible! i have to hold mine up right next to my ear in the car too!! i have an Arctic one...

maybe it IS an artic prob?? ugh.

ETA: btw, the speaker is super loud for other functions- ringtones, music, alerts, etc.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasAtty View Post
    Alright folks, some of you need to remove the enormous chip from your shoulder. It seems clear that some people are having a problem that others are not having. Is that uncommon? If it were, this forum would not exist.

I haven't loaded any software on the device that was not included on the CDs. I guess the Yahoo! app could be doing something, but I don't think Palm would've included it without thoroughly testing it on the device. I think one of the posters above had a good point with the idea that the mic might be causing the problem, I don't know. But I do know that the speakerphone on my Arctic 680 doesn't work very well. The ringer is really loud, and so is music played through the speaker, but I can't use the speakerphone in my car without holding it right up next to my ear . . . which pretty much makes it useless to me. Could it be a problem on the Arctics only? Doesn't seem likely, but who knows.

Regardless, some of you should drop the "what's wrong with you people" crap. Nothing is perfect, and there are usually problems that arise with new devices. This seems to be a problem for some.
    I have an Arctic, and my speakerphone is fine. I don't think it's necessarily a color thing. But it's clear that there's a bit of variance here from unit to unit. If you can't hear it in your car, there's definitely a difference between your unit and mine.

If you're having issues, try getting Palm to swap out the unit and see if it makes a difference.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    An issue here is that volume levels are very subjective. What is soft to one person may be loud to another. That's not a chip on the shoulder.
    That may not be, but this:
    No offense but maybe some of you need to see a doctor.
    . . . certainly seems to be. The question about laying the phone down on its back wasn't a "chip on the shoulder," but it sure seems like a "you're a dumbass" thing.

Whatever.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Interesting situation for me...

The first time I used speakerphone (as I mentioned in some thread) it was pouring out with my kids talking in the back motoring down the highway. I could hear everything. Clear and Loud.

Yesterday, I used my speakerphone again. It was a beautiful evening, no rain, no kids, just me alone in the car (but again on the highway). This time I could hear it, but not well and did need to ask the caller to repeat herself a number of times. It was quiet and garbled.

Wierd. Maybe it is not only dependant upon device, but location and signal as well. The first call for me was in Virginia. The latter call in CT. Both said full bars, but clearly seemed to be me a signal variation. Intersting...
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Please don't be offended but I find that inconsistent. Apparently, VolumeCare CAN blow your speakers, according to what you say, if you "use all of that increase in excess."

I think what you mean to say is VolumeCare SHOULD not blow your speakers, not that it "can not" blow your speakers. But I'll send you an email as you suggest.
    I am not trying to be confruntational or unprofessional with this post.

I was simply trying to make the following point: The user of the Treo is the one that turns the volume up too loud. VolumeCare does not, by itself, adjust the volume level or press the volume keys to a point where a speaker might be damaged. The user of the phone does that. VolumeCare only provides the ability to use all of the untapped volume available in the device. If the Treo user chooses to adjust your phone past the point where VolumeCare presents a warning and past the point where you detect speaker distruption, then the user is at fault - not the software.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Jeff
    (I'm posting this in 2 relevant threads so sorry if you have read this already)

I have an unlocked 'Copper' 680 and there is definitely an issue with low volume in the phone app. The hardware is fine since the ringer volume is really loud at only half volume settings (4) and PTunes plays really loud and clear - I am extremely happy with the quality of the speaker. BUT when I try and use the speaker as a speakerphone (hands free) it is very quiet and muffled at full volume (using the left side volume button to max it out).

So at least for me it seems to be a software issue with the phone app.
    I have an Artic 680 that works beautifully in -almost- every way, but the speakerphone volume is about 1/10th what my Treo 600's was. Likewise compared to my wife's Treo 650.

I just got off the phone with the Palm Store from whence I bought the little gem, and the woman I spoke with was quite familiar with the speakerphone problem on the Treo 680. In fact she finished my sentence when I began to tell her about the volume problem on the 680, she said "it's not loud enough, right?" She sent me to have a brief conversation and troubleshooting session with Tech Support when a case number was assigned, and they sent me back to the Palm Store, who readily agreed to send me a NEW Treo 680. The nice lady told me it would arrive in a few days.

Let's hope since she was obviously aware of the problem that there were an isolated number of units from a bad production run or with questionable components or some such, and that my new unit has no speakerphone volume problems. We'll see soon enough...
    Did you get the impression there's a problem with BOTH the speakerphone AND earpiece?

My speakerphone volume isn't bad, but the earpiece..yikes.
    Having same issue with the earpiece and speakerphone volume. It's way too low and I can barely hear from them even at full volume. Compared to the treo 600 the volume is mediocre.
    Hey gang. I wanted to see if anyone had found out anything new on the issue of low speakerphone volume.

I didn't realize I HAD a problem until I tried to use the 680 in the car. it was impossible even at full volume. As a controlled test, I put my SIM back in my 600 and could easily hear the other party. As with others, the ringer volume is great, but not so much with the speakerphone.

It's taken me two weeks of tweking to get the phone to where I like it (battery "conditioning" still pending completion), but I need that speakerphone option.

Any thoughts?
    "That's right Ice-man, I am dangerous"
    well, I called Palm support, and my Arctic's getting replaced.
    I also called Palm Support. Ran me through a warm and soft reset (again). Then a hard reset (again). No dice. Got a trouble shooting number. Looks like I'm sending it back. Of course, this has to happen as it looks like my battery is starting to hold its charge. I'm keeping the 'trained' battery
    Sounds like Palm is pretty quick at replacing a 680 - my copper 680 has really low speakerphone volume.

Anyone know if Palm stores will even-exchange an unlocked 680 bought from palm's web site?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
    Sounds like Palm is pretty quick at replacing a 680 - my copper 680 has really low speakerphone volume.

Anyone know if Palm stores will even-exchange an unlocked 680 bought from palm's web site?

On the one hand, the CSR was very friendly. So was I, because this is an annoyance vs. a critical matter. She said that they were backlogged with exchanges and were trying to get things out in a day, but that it might take two or more. Again, not a biggie in my case. On the other hand, I did have to go through tech service to get the repair number that would allow the CSR to go through with the exchange in the first place.

SO, the deal is if you think you want to exchange/repair your unit for a technical issue, you have to first go through the tech line (813-313-4913 in the US, nope, not a toll-free number). Be prepared to run through soft, warm and hard resets (back up your data first). If it is unsolvable, then they will give you a repair number. Then call the CS number (800-881-7256) for the exchange or return. As long as you don't let the aggravation of the process get to you (it's just a big toy and you should have things backed up anyway, right?), it only takes about 30-45 min from start to finsh.

Unfortunately, I can't speak to whether or not a Palm store will accept an exchange. I would assume that you would at least need a repair ticket number. Good luck!
    My problem is, that some (actually most of them) of the TREO original alerts - to me all sounds really bad - are cracking up the speaker. Its like big distortion, obviously that speaker can't handle Treo's own sounds even when volume set to mid.

I find ths to be surprising. Usually other brand phones/gadgets do play factory sounds loud and clear. Only fraction of Treo's are played without any overboosting/distortion effect.

Anyone else having the same experience?
    I also have the very low volume issue on my copper 680. I actually think I remember using the speakerphone on the day I got it and that it was working great; but now whenever I try to use the speakerphone it's simply to low to be usable.

So... is Volume Care able to "fix" this shortcoming in the Treo 680's, or is it really something in the hardware or ROM of the device itself that VC just can't compensate for?
    I've found that VolumeCare definitely helps the speakerphone volume issue, but it's still not as loud as I was used to on the 650. That said, I still love this 680!
    OK, just tried putting Volume Care on my 680. It definitely boosts the speaker phone volume enough to make it usable (not super-loud, but definitely a vast improvement).

BUT.... strangely enough, the handset volume is actually louder when I DON'T enable VolumeCare. Using the 680's native volume control, I'm able to get the headset significantly louder that I can with VC.

Weird huh?
    Last edited by mhzimmer; 12/19/2006 at 09:27 PM. Reason: small correction
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast