1.    #1  
    I keep getting resets every couple of days, sometimes in the middle of a call.
    I have hard reset it and so on to no avail. Not running any after market software.
    I have insurance but the phone is only 4-5 months old and I would like to get a new one (not refurb) WITHOUT using the insurance.

Should I go to the sprint store and demand a new one not using my insurance?

Should I just call sprint on the phone and try to get one? What number should I call just *2?

Any other things to try to get new one from sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnauman View Post
    I keep getting resets every couple of days, sometimes in the middle of a call.
    I have hard reset it and so on to no avail. Not running any after market software.
    I have insurance but the phone is only 4-5 months old and I would like to get a new one (not refurb) WITHOUT using the insurance.

Should I go to the sprint store and demand a new one not using my insurance?

Should I just call sprint on the phone and try to get one? What number should I call just *2?

Any other things to try to get new one from sprint?

If it's only 4-5 months old, it should still be under the Sprint warranty. So yes, I'd ask for a new one under warranty, not insurance. I've found, however, that it's hard to get Sprint to acknowledge intermittent problems. If it doesn't happen while they have the phone, they tend to deny there's a problem.

Good luck,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Give them a written note with a CrashPro log of crashes when you turn in your phone for testing. That note usually ends up in the hands of a clued-in rep. At least that's how I got a new 650 after mine started the "reset every 15 minutes" game.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Just use the magic words..."let me speak to a supervisor".
    While the first phone rep may not be helpful, the supervisors usually are.
  5.    #5  
    what is a crash pro log?
    I have only been able to pull up the last crash with the ##error# code
    Did the crashes start after a recent install or "event" that you can remember?

Glitches can be software or hardware.

If you wish to pursue the software angle:

Hot sync to back up.
    1. Hard reset. (This puts it back to factory state.)
    Run virgin for 2 days.
    Resets = get new hardware.
    No resets? Then do a CLEAN INSTALL:

2. Hard Reset your 700P, creating a "just out of the box" 700P (unless it is just out of box)

3. Rename your backup folder on your PC to backupold (Programs>Palm>userid>backup to backupold) ...Hopefully that's the path that Handspring used, but you get the idea. (The backup folder houses the 3rd party software you have installed in case a back up from a hard reset is necessary -- renaming the folder takes it out of the loop.)

4. Before you proceed, right click the Hotsync Manager icon in the program tray, choose Custom and check the action of your PIM conduits (Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Contacts); if any are set to "Handheld overwrites desktop", change them to either Synchronize or DT overwrites HH - otherwise, you will delete all the PIM data on the desktop.

5. Hot Sync the 700P to your userid.

You should have a clean Treo 700P with only your PIM data brought back.

Run this way for 2 days . . . . . No resets. . . . .move onto re-installing 3rd party software FRESH: (one at a time and run each for awhile to see if the resets start to see if there is a conflict with one of these programs.)

. . . . . . install your desired 3rd party software fresh onto the 700P -- NOT from a backup! (Also, get the newest version, while you are at it.) When you Hot Sync again, a new backup folder is created, with the freshly installed 3rd party software backed up the way the 700P likes it.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/05/2006 at 08:56 PM.
  7.    #7  
    this is resets with no after market software at all. I had the tethered mode hack but did a hard reset and did hot sync and still having the problem
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Mine resets at least 2 times a day. Sometimes just sitting by itself it the charger. I am starting to see why people are abdonind the POS in droves.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnauman View Post
    this is resets with no after market software at all. I had the tethered mode hack but did a hard reset and did hot sync and still having the problem
    Sounds like a hardware issue to me.

What is Palm's manufacturers warranty? (I have always paid the $6 for loss and repair, so I do not know.) Just had a 23 month old 650 changed out(refurb)for a bad SD slot.

Anyway -- take it to the Sprint store. At 4 to 5 months, it should be replaced, if not -- invoke the insurance. (If they had not told me my replacement was a refurb -- I would not have known -- other than it did not come in a complete new box with cables, CD and such. I would not be too hung up on getting a "new" one.)

Good Luck.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/06/2006 at 12:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Did the crashes start after a recent install or "event" that you can remember?

Glitches can be software or hardware.

If you wish to pursue the software angle:

Hot sync to back up.
    1. Hard reset. (This puts it back to factory state.)
    Run virgin for 2 days.
    Resets = get new hardware.
    No resets? Then do a CLEAN INSTALL:

Cheers, Perry.
    Perry

Can't seem to get by step one!

Could you recommend where I could find a "virgin" to run with? . . . .
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    Perry

Can't seem to get by step one!

Could you recommend where I could find a "virgin" to run with? . . . .

Your left hand?

12.    #12  
    spent two hours on the phone with sprint trying to get my treo replaced after only owning it for about 3-4 months. Went from treo tech support to palm to sprint to finally asking for supervisor who wouldnt even send me to rentention when i asked. Went into the store and tech looked at phone saw last reset but said phone was fine.
    So finally called retention. Got a guy named Ben who was really nice guy.
    Sent me a new treo 700p next day air with a bag to send the old phone back in.
    All the time they wanted me to use my insurance, send the phone to palm for repairs(2 weeks) or get a refurbished phone and pay some fee.
    Anyway got a new one for free.
    Noticed the new one has the sprint logo on the battery cover and a piece of foam inside the battery cover to keep the cover tighter for no squeaks. The siedo 2400 battery fit perfect.
    Hardware issues should be replaced, although a refurb would not have bothered me.

However, you did all you could to show it was not software related. Once software corruption is eliminated as the problem -- there should not be a question about replacement. Too bad it took that much additional "discussion" with the Sprint folks. My Sprint store has always been customer oriented. (I always prefer the face to face then the over the phone dialogues . . . . . . . and retentions has always been fair.)

I am glad you have your new one!

Cheers, Perry.
    Yup, sounds like typical Sprint phone support - very time consuming. In situations like this you will *always* get Sprint blaming anything but the hardware, especially if it's over the phone.

If you have a Sprint corporate store within a reasonable proximity, your best bet is to back it all up, give it a hard reset and walk in with whatever evidence you have at the ready (crashpro log is a great idea). Wait in line, and when you give the rep the phone ask if you can talk with the tech directly about the issue - try not to let them shluff you off and play telegraph with your description of the problem to the tech - it's gonna waste your time. If he refuses or can't - then don't tell the rep the problem - SHOW the rep the problem and also SHOW the rep that you have NO 3rd party software on the device. Tell them you bought this expensive phone because you wanted "the best" because it's important to your business, and (enter issue here) is not an acceptable behavior for a phone. Be kind but firm in that you need this resolved with a repair or replacement *today* as the phone is vital to your business.

I've found the store people occasionally clueless (esp about the Treo) but usually doing their best to help - just be firm in what you want and make sure they understand that you need a properly functioning phone - whether under warranty or insurance replacement. Dealing with these Treo issues over the phone will take several years off your life trying to resolve them.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.