Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Seidio will release quite a few new accessories for Treo 680 soon. The release starts with swivel lock rubberized holster, standard and extended batteries, crystal case/rubberized case and more

If you would like to get on the list to be notified when any of the new accessories is release, please send an email to
    Treo680@seidio.com

David Chang
    Seidio
    forum@seidio.com
    Last edited by seidioseidio; 12/06/2006 at 02:15 PM.
    Sweet. I'm sure I will be only one of the few thousands to buy both of your extended batteries
    From what I understand, the super-extended battery is already available--it's the 650 2400mah extended battery. What isn't available yet is the new back required to use that battery. The more interesting battery, to me, is the one that will still fit within the 680 form factor. I hope that will be out as soon as the new back is out for the super extended battery. I'd like to start with the extended one to see if it is satisfactory before going up to the super-extended.
    Not to mention the cases to accomodate the newly fattened device.
    Can you tell us whether the extended battery is being designed to fit inside the original casing or whether it will require a special battery cover?
    I'll be interested in both the holster and the standard size battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    From what I understand, the super-extended battery is already available--it's the 650 2400mah extended battery. What isn't available yet is the new back required to use that battery. The more interesting battery, to me, is the one that will still fit within the 680 form factor. I hope that will be out as soon as the new back is out for the super extended battery. I'd like to start with the extended one to see if it is satisfactory before going up to the super-extended.

This is killing me, and I HATE to call a vendor out on a forum, but they have been soooooo vague and elusive with me via email, I owe this to the forum to share.

after David started this thread, and people asked the question I have asked now about 8 times with NO RESPONSE, I emailed David directly today and asked the following question:

Q:Will there be an extended battery that fits within the current from factor of the Treo 680?

You eluded to this in a thread a few weeks ago, so I want to make sure that this is cleared up, and I would like to have an extended battery, but have the option of keeping the current form factor!!!

A: "HI Mattew,

Our product group is still working on this project. We do not have the conclusion yet. Sorry.

To me, (unless I hear otherwise) it is starting to look like they will only have a choice of either a standard (not extended) replacement battery that fits within the current case, or the Extended battery with the replacement case back, which is, as David has eluded to earlier, double the battery life of the current 680 battery.

They are not willing to go on the record with what they are developing, or planning to release, so those that are "on the fence" may just return the 680, and then there will be no need for the product at all. This makes no sense to me at all.

I have been a customer of Seidio for a long time, and plan to continue being a customer. I just wish that they would be a little less like Palm in regards to communication about their new products.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    So, Seidio promises a product and a timeline, runs into snags (from a supplier, act of entity, etc.), and can't deliver.

What do you think would happen then?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    This is killing me, and I HATE to call a vendor out on a forum, but they have been soooooo vague and elusive with me via email, I owe this to the forum to share.

after David started this thread, and people asked the question I have asked now about 8 times with NO RESPONSE, I emailed David directly today and asked the following question:

Q:Will there be an extended battery that fits within the current from factor of the Treo 680?

You eluded to this in a thread a few weeks ago, so I want to make sure that this is cleared up, and I would like to have an extended battery, but have the option of keeping the current form factor!!!

A: "HI Mattew,

Our product group is still working on this project. We do not have the conclusion yet. Sorry.

To me, (unless I hear otherwise) it is starting to look like they will only have a choice of either a standard (not extended) replacement battery that fits within the current case, or the Extended battery with the replacement case back, which is, as David has eluded to earlier, double the battery life of the current 680 battery.

They are not willing to go on the record with what they are developing, or planning to release, so those that are "on the fence" may just return the 680, and then there will be no need for the product at all. This makes no sense to me at all.

I have been a customer of Seidio for a long time, and plan to continue being a customer. I just wish that they would be a little less like Palm in regards to communication about their new products.
    Hi Mathew,

I think I told you what I know up to today. This is one of difficulty projects we are working on. Up to today, We do not have any concrete conclusion yet. I just honestly tell you what I know. I do not want to promise you anything we can not deliver.

David Chang
    Seidio
    Dsc@seidio.com
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Hi Mathew,

I think I told you what I know up to today. This is one of difficulty projects we are working on. Up to today, We do not have any concrete conclusion yet. I just honestly tell you what I know. I do not want to promise you anything we can not deliver.

David Chang
    Seidio
    Dsc@seidio.com
    I appreciate the fact that we actually have a response in the thread, David!! Several people are very interested in this topic, and I think the concern is that everyone gets beyond the 30 day trial of the 680, only to find out that there will be no better battery available other than to add a new cover and weight to the 680. I am more or less just trying to do what others here do and advocate for the forum members here while I have the time now to get the information.

For me, the device is a keeper no matter what. I just want to know what my options are going to be, and accessories (cases, etc) are going to matter if we are going to have to buy a different case backing. I really like the form factor of this device, and obviously, as many here have stated, if an exteded battery can be obtained that fits within this form factor, I would buy 2 of them last week at 20% what palm charges for a spare right now!!!

Thanks again for responding. I am hoping now that we can count on you to keep us updated on the progress of this project.
    Rewards Network

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post

I just wish that they would be a little less like Palm in regards to communication about their new products.

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONO.

No.

Seidio is being honest. They are in no way like Palm, which ignores users outright. If not for Seidio listening to power users, we wouldn't have half the USEFUL accessories we currently have.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    NONONONONONONONONONONONONONO.

No.

Seidio is being honest. They are in no way like Palm, which ignores users outright. If not for Seidio listening to power users, we wouldn't have half the USEFUL accessories we currently have.
    Ok. I agree with your point, and Seidio is indeed a GREAT company - I own many of their products, but that is what frustrated me about all of this. They (David) had eluded to an extended battery for the 680 and 750 that would fit within the current form factor weeks ago, and now appear to be doing a bit of side stepping. Their "Honesty" is now only because I have been pushing for them to respond in this forum, to a topic about which they have been avoiding, since they have had no answer. If they had just initially answered, as they are now "We don't know yet....give us some more time to figure it out" , it would have been so much easier.

As a power user, I also agree that I would be lost without all that I have gotten through Sedio in the past, but that has also raised my expectations as well. I spent alot of money (I mean authorized alot) with Seidio through the last company I worked for, and my expecations continue, even as single user just buying for myself now.
    Rewards Network

man chill out....this device was just released....give people/companies time to manufacture the extras for it!

as for the 30 day thing.....return it and when the extras come out buy it again!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    man chill out....this device was just released....give people/companies time to manufacture the extras for it!

as for the 30 day thing.....return it and when the extras come out buy it again!
    Ditto - it's nice to have someone from Seidio monitoring this forum and trying to keep us all informed. If Palm would release more specifics to their "sub" vendors of accessories then perhaps they could launch a product that would have all of the extras that us power users want.......

But to expect the vendors to have accessories for a newly tweaked design inside of the 30 day return window - well that's not fair to the supplier.

One of the problems of being an Early Adopter is: lack of useful accessories, software conflicts and "complaining" about all of the above. If we are going to be early adopters - these are the things that we will have to put up with until the accessory suppliers can catch up. It has been this way for 10 years and it will always be this way.

Think back to the original forum: Visor Central - when I purchased my first Visor Graphite edition - there were no springboard accessories for it. It took 6 months or so for enough springboard's to really be of an impact. Now all of those companies that bought into the springboard supply chain - have very little to show for it.

It's the same with the 680, Seidio has to be cautious for design etc until they find out what form factor differences their are (and plenty relative to the 650) and if their will be enough interest to invest in the production of any accessories.

Now that Palm has disco'd the 650 - Seidio will have to have a fire sale on those accessories and decide about the 680's footprint etc.

So back to the original "quote" - return it if what is needed is not available in the next 30 days and then buy it when the accessories are there to support it in the fashion desired.

But lets not alienate David and shut down communication from Seidio in the process. I signed up for the email alerts - that's good enough for me.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    ... Seidio has to be cautious for design etc until they find out ... if their will be enough interest to invest in the production of any accessories.

Now that Palm has disco'd the 650 - Seidio will have to have a fire sale on those accessories and decide about the 680's footprint etc.

Sad but true...and not good for us. I imagine that Seidio is starting to see a silver lining in selling us the 2400 that is the 650 extended battery. They can get rid of that otherwise dead inventory and sell us extended ones--along with a bulge most of us don't want.

Which means we may not get the extended battery at 1500-1600 mah they had originally contemplated, because it would not also give them the advantage of getting rid of the old 650 battery as a new 680. I would really have liked to get the smaller one and see if I could tolerate it before changing the (relative) slimness which was one of the buying points.
    Except that 650/700 users may not want a bulge either in which case the 2400 is still a perfect fit. It would be in their interest to have all three if possible.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I think Seidio is being unfairly criticized by some. I can't find a single post wherein they said or even implied that they would build an extended 680 battery within the existing form factor. Sure it was asked a lot, but they never said they would.

Nor have they said they wont.

Seidio doesn't have to answer this question (today or any other day) just because it is important to us.
    Whether they did or didn't really doesn't matter. Companies have the right to change direction based on additional market information if they so choose. Just good business practice. Be happy that there's a company like Seidio out there making quality products for these devices in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies View Post
    Whether they did or didn't really doesn't matter. Companies have the right to change direction based on additional market information if they so choose. Just good business practice. Be happy that there's a company like Seidio out there making quality products for these devices in the first place.
    Yes, they did say they were planning two batteries, one that would fit the existing form and one that would require a new case back.
    Perhaps this is a dumb question, but why wouldn't Palm put the largest possible battery in the 680 that fits in the case? Why would they make it smaller than what could potentially fit?

I guess what I'm asking is how would Seidio make a battery that is the same size but has a higher capacity? Do they have a patent for some special battery technology that Palm is unable to use or does not know about?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast