Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The fit and finish on my 680 seems to be superb, with the bizarre execption of the SD card door. It is warped and no matter what I do, I can't keep the door completely closed.

I stays kind of open and it really cheapens the fit and finish.

Anybody else experiencing this challenge?
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Mine fits perfectly... I'd get another one if I were you.
    I have no problem with mine either. Could your SD card not be seated completely?
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Mine fits perfectly too, though I do worry that the little tabs will break off over time. Make sure you slide the tabs all the way in before you try to close the hatch.

Dunc
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    A number of people have complained about this door, but mine sits perfectly flush. I wonder if there's a quality assurance issue going on.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    The door is flimsy just like the stylus. Thankfully the reset button is not behind it. I rarely if ever take the SD card out, so it shouldn't be an issue for me.
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    I concur. The door is quite flimsy.
    David
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Me too...a fingernail challenged person :P
    I agree the door is flimsy, however it should fit flush. Mine fits perfectly flush.
    the door is indeed flimsy, and mine doesnt sit flush. I was concerned about this, but i thought i might get one with even worse problems. But it sucks it doesnt just snap into place

If anyone has experienced this, can you please say whether you returned it or not. Or if you came up with a fix for the problem.
    Last edited by capo031; 01/02/2007 at 04:43 PM.
    I agree, the SD door is pretty cheap. Hopefully I'll keep my card in there and not mess with it much.
    Door is flimsy, doesn't shut flush at the top (the 750v is better in this respect). I returned mine, but not for the door. My main issues were poor phone voice quality, intermittent bluetooth problems, and several spontaneous resets. The 680 would have been my primary device if Palm hadn't deliberately made it a lower end model. A few more bucks and improvements like the door cover, bringing back a flashing LED, and few more things would have made a difference.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Flimsy door can be solved by gently pulling the door all the way out and bending it towards the Treo, pressing on where the tabs connect with the door to fold it down (the top of the door bent towards the Treo). I fixed my flimsy door this way, and whenever I do need to open the door, I gently pull it all the way out so I don't bend the door where it connects to the tabs anymore (like I used to ).
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
  14.    #14  
    I was at the palm store in San Francisco a few days ago and I noticed that all the new Treo 680s that they had just recieved into stock did NOT have the door defect.

Food for thought.

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

couple of questions....there are "second rev of 680's" being released? how did they address the sd card door issue on these phones? did they use a new material or hinge method? my 680's door works but it's as flimsy/weak as they come.

thanks for the heads up!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
    Flimsy door can be solved by gently pulling the door all the way out and bending it towards the Treo, pressing on where the tabs connect with the door to fold it down (the top of the door bent towards the Treo). I fixed my flimsy door this way, and whenever I do need to open the door, I gently pull it all the way out so I don't bend the door where it connects to the tabs anymore (like I used to ).
    this isn't anything like any of the battery "tricks" is it? joking! thanks for the suggestion and advice.

have fun
  17.    #17  
    All I can say is that the new Treos I saw were correct. I assume Palm caught the huge flaw and fixed it. I don't so much care about how flimsy the door is if it stays in place, but when it juts out it looks highly defective.

Waddaya mean by fixed? The tabs were tighter, or something?
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Yep the door is flimsy..but so are a lot of aother media card doors on devices te past few years - got a nikon 5200 5.1 MP camera and all the doors on it are flimsy plastic/rubber , same with my canon elura 100 - haven't torn/broken one door or hinge yet...if you're careful and not in a rush it'll be OK. As to the not being flush with the phone - def a defect in some - mine's flush.
    mine is flush but flimsy as most are.

would be niced if they (Palm) addressed other issues first on their "second rev" phones
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast