Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    If nothing else you could use the GPS 10x with your laptop and Garmin's nRoute program for Windows. Surprisingly this works even on a Mac with Virtual PC (if you have a PowerPC Mac) or Parallels (on an Intel Mac). Check out this post for details. But still, using a laptop is so much less convenient than the Treo; I hope you find a solution before facing the Boston gauntlet.
    Thanks for the info. I have a Powerbook G4, but I don't have Virtual PC. I have a pretty sweet Dell from work though.

I meant to take the Dell with me just in case... but forgot. The Treo must have known, and reset about 10 times during the trip, often during critical points. Tunnels and parking garages are the enemy!

But seriously, the resets got old. I said words in front of my 16 month old I don't usually say.

I was thinking about trying non-3D mode, to see if that's less resource intensive. If not, I will try Que. But the lack of traffic will be lame- I totally got spoiled. Although if it WORKS, I suppose it'd be worth it.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Thanks to Ted, I was able to fix my speed problem. The SD card was formatted in FAT32. When I reformatted it in FAT16, even without any reinstallation (backed up and restored using my PC), speed became very useable again.

Looking back at this whole experience, I can blame all my problems on Backupman
    1. Backupman prevented autolaunch from working, preventing installation
    2. Backupman crashed trying to backup Mobile XT files
    3. Backup man support suggested reformatting my card as a solution to #2 leading to all my subsequent speed problems

If not for Backupman, everything would have worked out well from the beginning for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanuy View Post
    Thanks to Ted, I was able to fix my speed problem. The SD card was formatted in FAT32. When I reformatted it in FAT16, even without any reinstallation (backed up and restored using my PC), speed became very useable again.
    Hmm that's stinks. I have my card as FAT32 and made a custom ROM with the FAT32 driver.

I guess wasting 200MB might be better than slow maps? Although I bet it won't fix the crashes.

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Hmm that's stinks. I have my card as FAT32 and made a custom ROM with the FAT32 driver.

I guess wasting 200MB might be better than slow maps? Although I bet it won't fix the crashes.
    Interesting. I don't have any special formatting on my card, so I can verify it has nothing to do with the crashes. I've been getting a reset just about every time I open Mobile XT now. I just sent another email myself asking for other suggestions for that problem..... It's useable, but annoying.
    Are you using a 2GB or smaller card?

If so, then all the FAT32 threads say that you should format to FAT16, or FAT, for maximum speed.

The only real gain in formating to FAT32 is if your card is bigger than 2GB, in which case the FAT32 driver enables you to use cards greater than 2GB
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Are you using a 2GB or smaller card?

If so, then all the FAT32 threads say that you should format to FAT16, or FAT, for maximum speed.

The only real gain in formating to FAT32 is if your card is bigger than 2GB, in which case the FAT32 driver enables you to use cards greater than 2GB
    Ok it appears I don't know what I have any more.

I had to go and find this post I made a while ago: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=21

So I am actually using the FAT32 driver (which allows faster access) with a FAT16 2GB card. I verified it using SoundRec. So I guess this isn't my issue. Unless the FAT32 driver itself and MobileXT don't like each other- but it seems too low level to matter in this case.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    mikepikefl, did you ever get Que to work the 10x?

Now that I've solved the speed problems, I can actually use the thing and find all the bugs and crashes you guys are experiencing

3 specific questions:
    1. Does your Treo ever get in a state where it cannot be turned off (but everything else is working) and needs to be reset in order to be turned off? I think this is Mobile XT at work but am not certain.
    2. When I have both the 10x and a Bluetooth headset paired to my 700p, I can answer a call on the headset but no sound gets trasmitted either way. Is that what everyone else is experiencing?
    3. Is everyone else also missing maps for Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, and PEI?
  8.    #168  
    3. Is everyone else also missing maps for Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, and PEI?
    FWIW, I have City Navigator v8 (not the NT version) and I have detailed maps for all those places.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I got an email today from Ted at Garmin (very helpful guy) who confirmed that one needs the NT version of City Navigator to get traffic. He also confirmed that the traffic module has no relation to the receiver (GPS 10 or Mobile 10) and that they have systems in their shop with GPS 10 receivers doing traffic. He agreed that Garmin's web page is not quite accurate - there ARE differences between non-NT and NT versions other than just the data compression format.

Question is, do I need to pay $75 for the cross-grade to NT? I'm making the case to Garmin that since I bought my GPS 10 system AFTER the release date of City Navigator NT v8, and the NT version is required to run their latest software compatible with my device, I should be entitled to a free cross-grade. We'll see...
    I also made this request, which Ted forwarded to someone in customer support. They sent this almost-incoherent reply:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for contacting Garmin International, I will be very happy to
    assist you. I have been asked to contact you in regards to the question
    about the NT version of the City Navigator North America maps version 8. The
    GPS 10 unit that you have came with the version 7 non-NT which it is
    compatible with. You then received the update to version 8 also non-NT, the
    NT version is not an upgrade to the non-NT version, it is basically the same
    program. The difference in the NT and the non-NT, is that the NT is more
    compressed so the images take up less memory. The GPS 10 is not compatible
    with the NT maps, the new Garmin Mobile 10 is NT compatible. The updates and
    downloads for the GPS 10 shows under additional software a download for
    (Garmin Mobile XT for Palm OS with GPS 10 Ver. 4.00.40p as of Jan 16, 2007),
    it is not listed there, but there should have been a disclaimer indicating
    this is a Beta version. It is also intended for the Palm OS not the Pocket
    PC OS, and there is no guarantee that it will work with the Palm OS.

In order for a customer who has a non-NT mapping program, and they purchase
    or acquire a new or different GPS unit that is NT compatible, if the new
    unit does not come with the NT the customer would need to purchase the new
    NT mapping program as an additional purchase. The NT update can only be
    offered if there is an older NT version registered to the customer already.
    I apologize for any misunderstandings in the use or compatibility of the GPS
    10 with the NT maps. The retail price of the NT version is $139.27.

------------------------------------------------------

So, to summarize: there is no difference between NT/non-NT except compression. And that the GPS10 can't use the NT maps. Version 4.00.40p is a beta, for Palm OS, not Pocket PC, and there is no guarantee it will work with Palm OS. (?!) In any case, no upgrades! Pay full price!

WTF?

We already know that the NT maps are different, they have the traffic data. I expect that the NT maps would work fine with the GPS10, as Ted recommended we upgrade to it to fix the traffic issue (has anyone tried GPS10 with the NT maps?)

I guess I have to ask Ted again to verify that the NT maps will work with the GPS10. In any case, I'll wait for the next version (v9) to come out before making another full-price purchase just for traffic.

Sure would be nice if Garmin appreciated the efforts of their beta testers more. I've done multiple installs, hard resets, and clean tests all to nail down issues that Garmin initially insisted were not reproduceable. The members of this group tracked down the NT/nonNT map issue when Garmin was totally unaware of it.
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
  10.    #170  
    I got exactly word-for-word the same response. This is ridiculous because

1. As Ted told me, "We have GPS10's here that work with traffic as well. The traffic module has no relation to the receiver itself."

2. As Ted told me, ""I have just gone to the web page that describes the difference between City Navigators and have noticed the same as you did that they only speak of the compression differences. I will report this and try to have it fixed. Very sorry for the inconvenience."

3. The customer service guy seems to think we have Pocket PCs, not Palm OS units!

It's amazing how helpful Ted at gpalmbeta@garmin.com is, and how useless the techsupp@garmin.com people are. I have not once gotten a response from the latter source that wasn't filled with mistakes. On the plus side, they are pretty quick about sending useless replies.

Now that I've solved the speed problems, I can actually use the thing and find all the bugs and crashes you guys are experiencing

3 specific questions:
    1. Does your Treo ever get in a state where it cannot be turned off (but everything else is working) and needs to be reset in order to be turned off? I think this is Mobile XT at work but am not certain.
    2. When I have both the 10x and a Bluetooth headset paired to my 700p, I can answer a call on the headset but no sound gets trasmitted either way. Is that what everyone else is experiencing?
    Interesting, maybe the speed problems I was noticing were no where near what you were noticing.

I have not tried Que yet, but I'm going to CA for two weeks (anyone else going to RSA 2007???) so I'm going to try to install it and give it a whirl... especially based on what was said above... unofficial Beta version and PocketPC and all...

As for your questions:
    1) Yes I think I have had that problem, as well as the opposite "can't turn on".
    2) I have never been brave enough to try that, and I think it even says that with the 650 it's not supported.
    3) I didn't try those places, sorry. If I ever have to travel there I'll be sure to try to load them.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    When I had Que installed on my 700p, it simply wouldn't link with my 10x.

I can tell I am missing those maps because if you go to Manage Data -> Maps and select detailed maps, it tells me those are missing. And yes, I have driven to PEI before (for my honeymoon!).
    When I had Que installed on my 700p, it simply wouldn't link with my 10x.

I can tell I am missing those maps because if you go to Manage Data -> Maps and select detailed maps, it tells me those are missing. And yes, I have driven to PEI before (for my honeymoon!).
    Hmm... Maybe I don't want to waste time trying to get Que working with my 10x... that would kind of suck...

Although, I guess for the greater good of the community, I should give it a whirl and report my results.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  14.    #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    ... In any case, no upgrades! Pay full price!
    After firing a pointed email back to Garmin's tech support, they offered to sell me the NT maps at the "upgrade" price of $75. Just for the ability to have traffic-aware routing on maps that I already own... Heck, I can buy a whole new Mobile 10 system with NT maps for about $170 including the newer, more sensitive receiver. Not sure if either path is enough better than the status quo...
    Ok so I installed Que from the link provided.

I don't know which app does what, this is totally different!

So far I haven't been able to connect to my GPS 10x with Que, but it could be user error.

Any suggestions?

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  16.    #176  
    Have you tried pairing the GPS 10x with the Treo, like you would any other bluetooth device? I realize it's not supposed to be necessary when you use Garmin's installer, but it might be worth a shot.
    Have you tried pairing the GPS 10x with the Treo, like you would any other bluetooth device? I realize it's not supposed to be necessary when you use Garmin's installer, but it might be worth a shot.
    I ALMOST did that myself last night. So thanks for the tip, I just tried it. It doesn't appear to be doing anything, but I'll give it a minute.

I also emailed Garmin. Maybe Ted can tell us if it's even possible, and if so what hoops we have to jump through.
    Last edited by mikepikefl; 02/02/2007 at 06:21 AM. Reason: typo

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Ok so I installed Que from the link provided.

I don't know which app does what, this is totally different!

Don't worry about all the different apps. Basically you would normally only use QueMap, which may display as Map in your launcher.

Map will display you road map. If you press the Left or Right 5-way it will load / unload the other modules for you, as required.

However you need to run the QueSetup app separately, this should show that you are running version 2.2
    It will also show you your Unit ID. It will only show an ID after you have successfully paired with the BT unit. If there is no unit ID, your maps will not display as it's the way the copy protection works, just like the Mobile 10 software.

Go back to Map and Right key into QueGPS. This is where you try to pair up for the first time. The first thing that should happen, after you have asked it to connect via the menu option, is the battery ICON top right will show your BT battery level, even before it finds any satellites. This is a good indication if the software is finding your BT unit.

Hope that helps.
    Thought of the day :
    I ALMOST did that myself last night. So thanks for the tip, I just tried it. It doesn't appear to be doing anything, but I'll give it a minute.

I also emailed Garmin. Maybe Ted can tell us if it's even possible, and if so what hoops we have to jump through.
    It should Pair via the BT setup. It should ask you for a code. Off the top of my head it's either 0000 or 1234
    Thought of the day :
    Well it's official- the GPS 10x will not work with Que... for now. It appears they are going to "backport" the 10x to the Que for us! But the catch is that you need non-NT maps. Also another confirmation that NT-maps are somehow different. Here's the whole response:
    Hi Mike,

Ted asked me to look into this problem for you. I'm sorry you are having troubles with our Mobile XT software. We are currently looking into some problems that are created by 3rd party applications, so I'll be sure to add Warden to our list.

I verified that there is a problem connecting to the 10x from the older bQue software. This seems to be a timing issue that was fixed in Mobile XT. I'm working on pulling these changes back into the bQue project and with any luck we will release that software within 3-4 weeks.

One final note regarding the bQue software: It was released before Garmin had NT maps, and doesn't support the newer map format. You will need non-NT maps to use bQue, so any NT maps that came with your 10x won't work. As far as I know, we have no plans to update bQue to support NT maps at this time.

Thanks for your comments, I will email you again when you can download a new 10x-supported version of bQue.

Brad

--Andrew Tanenbaum
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast