Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pconley View Post
    Regarding Resco Backup - does it allow you to either restore your entire device to one of several recent backups or to just restore individual files?

Regarding TealLock - I have 6.11, but I haven't paid for it yet. Is yours a registered (paid) version? It could be that it works differently for the 650 than the 700p,
    Resco lets you restore a full backup or select specific files to restore.

My Teallock is a paid version. I don't know if you're going to be able to get it and a big app like XT to play well together - the 650 is always so memory-starved.
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    Resco lets you restore a full backup or select specific files to restore.

My Teallock is a paid version. I don't know if you're going to be able to get it and a big app like XT to play well together - the 650 is always so memory-starved.
    I was using the trial. I may just go with BluePill, and bet on the fact that I realize I lost my phone!

As for memory starvation, this is one thing I still get confused on. If I remove apps from the device (whether deleting or moving to the card) does that free "RAM"? I've read so many posts, and made a custom ROM, and I still don't know. I think "DBCache" is what confuses me.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  3.    #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    I have a three hour trip coming up, and I am seriously considering using nRoute on my laptop instead of MobileXT. I can hardly get it to run well on a 40 minute trip, when I delicately prepare my Treo and pray for no phone calls, and turn off email even thought I am totally addicted to email.

*SIGH* Less than ideal.
    Seriously, try down-grading to Que. It is not fancy but it is BOMB PROOF. And it will use the same maps as Mobile XT. I don't even have to re-create the humongous map file (GMAPSUPP.IMG) when I switch back and forth between Que and XT.
  4.    #144  
    It looks to me to be the map data. I installed my map data from my DVD, and we all appear to be running the same downloaded version of Mobile XT.

I was going to ask if your map data came from a Que install originally.

It seems they don't know everything about their own product, so maybe the "only difference" also affects the traffic and map integration...
    Yes I originally had a Que install, but I re-created my map set after installing Mobile XT. Didn't change a thing. But the only common thread so far seems to be NT vs. non-NT versions of the DVD. But I'd still like to hear if anyone with a FRAGMENTED map set can get traffic. So far no go on that either, but the data set is too small to draw a conclusion.

By the way, on the backup programs, I've never used backupman. I've used BackupBuddy and I'm now evaluating Resco Backup. I think I'll be switching to Resco, but neither causes any interference with Mobile XT or Que as far as I can tell.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    As for memory starvation, this is one thing I still get confused on. If I remove apps from the device (whether deleting or moving to the card) does that free "RAM"? I've read so many posts, and made a custom ROM, and I still don't know. I think "DBCache" is what confuses me.
    Take a look at:
    http://www.resco.net/palm/explorer/NVFS.htm

and

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...case=obj(35222)
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    Dang it! I'm sorry I didn't think to post that info. earlier - it didn't occur to me to post it here & to mention it to Ted at Garmin until recently. I'm sorry .....

You should be able to install the Garmin software from the web page plus MapInstall; that's actually what I did when I installed the update. I don't know what to tell you about the speed, though, because my Mobile XT seems to run slower now too but I don't know why.
    OK, in my quest for speed: I deleted all XT files on the Treo and the SD card and reinstalled 4.00.40p without the initial DVD install. Then I used Man Install to install all the N. America maps. 2 initial observations/questions:
    1. The world-wide basemap did not install. How do I get this back?
    2. Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, and PEI did not install. This as also true the first time I installed the maps. Any idea why?

As for speed, it is still slow, much slower than it was before, actually. Before, it could be a little slow in responsiveness, but now, there are these long delays/lag periods (mostly but not always when redrawing) where I cannot do anything and sometimes results in temporary disconnection with the 10x unit. Is this what others are experiencing? Any idea why? Could the missing basemap be part of the problem? Or did the DVD-based installation wizard include some sort of optimazation that we aren't getting by going straight to 4.00.40p and Map Install?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Seriously, try down-grading to Que. It is not fancy but it is BOMB PROOF. And it will use the same maps as Mobile XT. I don't even have to re-create the humongous map file (GMAPSUPP.IMG) when I switch back and forth between Que and XT.
    Can both be installed at the same time? Any problems/tricks to do that? Where do I get Que? (I purchased a Mobile 10.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    I don't use BackupMan. I heartily recommend Resco Backup. No problems with Mobile XT, and it has saved my data many times.
    Just installed Resco Backup. Bye bye Backupman (and another $15).
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanuy View Post
    Can both be installed at the same time? Any problems/tricks to do that? Where do I get Que? (I purchased a Mobile 10.)
    I haven't tried installing this along with Mobile 10, but I know earlier in this very same thread you'll find the link to download the Que software. I downloaded it & saved it to my desktop, but I didn't want to chance it (or give up on Mobile 10) just yet.
    Just installed Resco Backup. Bye bye Backupman (and another $15).
    Oh, say it ain't so?! I've been holding out, waiting to see if BackupMan will fix the issue before I throw in the towel (& kiss that money goodbye). I haven't heard anything back from them but I'll keep after them to see if/how they respond......
    OK, in my quest for speed: I deleted all XT files on the Treo and the SD card and reinstalled 4.00.40p without the initial DVD install. Then I used Man Install to install all the N. America maps. 2 initial observations/questions:
    1. The world-wide basemap did not install. How do I get this back?
    2. Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, and PEI did not install. This as also true the first time I installed the maps. Any idea why?

As for speed, it is still slow, much slower than it was before, actually. Before, it could be a little slow in responsiveness, but now, there are these long delays/lag periods (mostly but not always when redrawing) where I cannot do anything and sometimes results in temporary disconnection with the 10x unit. Is this what others are experiencing? Any idea why? Could the missing basemap be part of the problem? Or did the DVD-based installation wizard include some sort of optimazation that we aren't getting by going straight to 4.00.40p and Map Install?
    Sorry, I don't know the answers, maybe someone else can help. I wouldn't think you'd need the DVD because people who upgraded from Que to Mobile 10 don't have the same DVD, but maybe there's something there regarding the maps?

I have to say, tonight on the way home from work I was impressed (although I admit I'm sometimes easily impressed). My daughter sent me a text message while I had Mobile 10 running, & I texted her back a response. When I exited from the text messaging screen, I was on the regular applications screen, not in Mobile 10 where I'd started out. I waited to see if the directions & map would just somehow work again even though I wasn't in Mobile 10 any more - and they did!!! Now maybe this isn't a surprise to anyone else on this thread, but it was pretty cool to see that you don't have to keep Mobile 10 open, like I thought you did. I had assumed that when you wanted to do something else you would have to exit from Mobile 10 and then go back in & select "Where To?" again & kind of start over. Very cool.
    Sorry, I don't know the answers, maybe someone else can help. I wouldn't think you'd need the DVD because people who upgraded from Que to Mobile 10 don't have the same DVD, but maybe there's something there regarding the maps?
    I found some world-wide basemaps here. It seems to work but no improvement in speed. It's version 3.01. What version do you guys have?

I have to say, tonight on the way home from work I was impressed...
    You said before that XT was getting slower. Is it better again? Did you do anything to make it faster?

What is frustrating to me is that after my initial install (DVD Wizard then 4.00.40p) the speed was adequate. Ever since I started shuffling things around on the SD card (diagnosing Backupman problems) and even after a complete reinstall (starting at 4.00.40p, not the DVD), it is basically so slow that it's unusable. I am seriously considering starting all over with the DVD.
    I found some world-wide basemaps here. It seems to work but no improvement in speed. It's version 3.01. What version do you guys have?
    Beats me - where can you find this info? When I go into Tools, Manage My Data, Map Sets, I can pick "Worldwide Routable Basemap" but the next screen just tells me how much memory it takes up, no version.

You said before that XT was getting slower. Is it better again? Did you do anything to make it faster?
    No, but keep in mind I did say I'm easily impressed and this is my first ever GPS so it's got a pretty high cool factor.

Seriously though, if I don't stare at it all the time (like I did at first) it doesn't really seem so slow - even though I do think it's a tad slower than the out of the box software was running when I first installed. Have you contacted Garmin - Ted (the guy who seems to respond to all of our questions) at the palmbeta email address does seem like he wants to help resolve our issues. Although I wasn't too thrilled to hear that BackupMan was causing a conflict, he figured it out well before I would have (I knew I had to exclude files to make it work but I really thought it was Mobile XT's fault). If it wasn't for you figuring this out I would never have suspected it was causing any problems.
  14.    #154  
    I've gone Que -> XT -> Que -> XT -> Que, so I have some experience here.

I doubt one can install both Que and Mobile XT at the same time, since both are programs that run in the background and would stomp on each other for possession of the Bluetooth receiver if you tried to run them at the same time.

The download page for Que is http://www.garmin.com/support/downlo...ls.jsp?id=1441

The key to installing Que is to be sure that you've completely uninstalled Mobile XT using the "XT setup" application, then using FileZ to go in and delete all remaining files starting with MobileXT or just XT. Then install Que from Garmin's directions. To save some space, you can delete all the foreign language files, i.e. those with _itIT, _esES, etc. in the file name (but don't delete the English files!)

To re-install your basemap or detailed maps, see post #84 in this thread.
  15.    #155  
    I got an email today from Ted at Garmin (very helpful guy) who confirmed that one needs the NT version of City Navigator to get traffic. He also confirmed that the traffic module has no relation to the receiver (GPS 10 or Mobile 10) and that they have systems in their shop with GPS 10 receivers doing traffic. He agreed that Garmin's web page is not quite accurate - there ARE differences between non-NT and NT versions other than just the data compression format.

Question is, do I need to pay $75 for the cross-grade to NT? I'm making the case to Garmin that since I bought my GPS 10 system AFTER the release date of City Navigator NT v8, and the NT version is required to run their latest software compatible with my device, I should be entitled to a free cross-grade. We'll see...
    With my performance being as bad as it is, I am thinking: has anyone else experienced much better performance with the DVD release version (4.00.10p, I think) than with 4.00.40p? Tempted to revert back to the earlier, DVD version.

Another question: is anyone who started with the 4.00.40p installer getting decent performance?

I think I will give Que a try.

How can I contact this Ted guy by e-mail?
    With my performance being as bad as it is, I am thinking: has anyone else experienced much better performance with the DVD release version (4.00.10p, I think) than with 4.00.40p? Tempted to revert back to the earlier, DVD version.

Another question: is anyone who started with the 4.00.40p installer getting decent performance?

I think I will give Que a try.

How can I contact this Ted guy by e-mail?
    gpalmbeta@garmin.com
    Tried Que, but it could not find my 10x unit. So back to the original version of XT (4.00.10). Has anyone had success with pairing Que (Palm) to the 10x unit?

One thing I noticed, however, was that it is FAST! I hope they quickly get XT to near-Que speeds. There were also a few crashes and annoying error messages that popped up after every reset ("Incorrect version installed").
    I might try Que and post my results. I'm going into Boston tomorrow for the day, so I will DEFINITELY need something that works. Boston's roads are ridiculous.

I'm nervous about removing MobileXT and then not being able to get Que working in time... That city is reason number 1 I wanted a GPS!!!!
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  20.    #160  
    If nothing else you could use the GPS 10x with your laptop and Garmin's nRoute program for Windows. Surprisingly this works even on a Mac with Virtual PC (if you have a PowerPC Mac) or Parallels (on an Intel Mac). Check out this post for details. But still, using a laptop is so much less convenient than the Treo; I hope you find a solution before facing the Boston gauntlet.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 01/27/2007 at 10:11 AM.
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast