Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    A positive report here now that I finally got around to installing Mobile XT for the Mobile 10 on my Sprint 700p (last post here was #36).

My initial problem was that I could not get the card to autolaunch (reported by myself here and by others in this thread). Turns out that the problem was BackupMan. When I removed BackupMan, autolaunch was restored. No amount of FileZ tricks with start.prc and moving around all sorts of files could make the installation work; it appears that autolaunch needs to work in order to install Mobile XT. Garmin tech. support was friendly and tried to help but had no idea what I was talking about.

Once I figured this out, it's been smooth sailing with both the initial install and the update. The only minor glitch on the initial install is that it hung on the Mobile XT "glass timer" icon at the very end of the detailed map install. However, this was after all the file copying, and Mobile XT worked fine after a soft reset.

Haven't used it very heavily yet, but I experienced only one reset in several days of use before the update was installed tonight. Haven't tried traffic or any of the online features. After the update, no problems with receiving calls, including with my Jabra JX10 headset. Love the sensitivity of the GPS receiver which is much better than my Garmin i5 unit (great, cheap unit). However, screen redraws are much slower than the i5.

While I haven't had a chance to use this intensely yet, so far looks like a nice setup for only $170. The bonus is that I can use it on my laptop as well. Waiting for MacOS version as this is one of the few Windows-only applications I still use.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanuy View Post
    While I haven't had a chance to use this intensely yet, so far looks like a nice setup for only $170. The bonus is that I can use it on my laptop as well. Waiting for MacOS version as this is one of the few Windows-only applications I still use.
    Ah. A pet peeve!

Don't hold your breath. Here's a Garmin press release trumpeting their immediate support for OSX:

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/corporate/011006.html

It's dated January 10th. Of last year.

Not that I've been waiting or anything...
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I've sent an email to the beta address pointing out the traffic issue as it relates to NT/non-NT maps. I'll post here when they reply.

I note that the 4.00.40p is no longer listed as a beta, but as a release. Hopefully they're still responding to issues...
  4.    #124  
    I'm also in contact with Ted at Garmin about the traffic issue. I have a hunch. For those participating, could you answer the following simple questions:

1. How big (how many MB) is your map set?
    2. Is it a continuous block of maps, or are there gaps in it?
    3. What basemap are you using?

Thanks for your participation.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post

1. gmapssupp.img is 261.2M
    2. There are gaps. Mine has NC-SC-VA and CA-OR.
    3. Basemap is Americas Autoroute Basemap

I've sent Ted a copy of my mapfile, so hopefully they can sort this out.

Quote of the day, from Ted:
    "Let me ask you question, when you had seen this 'detail maps don't support traffic', do you have your card inserted?"

Always refreshing when tech support assumes that I'm a complete *****.
    A positive report here now that I finally got around to installing Mobile XT for the Mobile 10 on my Sprint 700p (last post here was #36).

My initial problem was that I could not get the card to autolaunch (reported by myself here and by others in this thread). Turns out that the problem was BackupMan. When I removed BackupMan, autolaunch was restored. No amount of FileZ tricks with start.prc and moving around all sorts of files could make the installation work; it appears that autolaunch needs to work in order to install Mobile XT.
    Not trying to be dumb by asking the obvious - Did you contact the BackupMan people to let them know what you've discovered? I emailed them about doing backups since installing Mobile XT - I've had to exclude all of the Garmin files before doing a backup, otherwise it stops the backup & resets my phone. I also recently sent them the link to the Mobile XT update on the Garmin site, so they can look at the files to figure out what the problem is. It sounds like this is related?
    I'm also in contact with Ted at Garmin about the traffic issue. I have a hunch. For those participating, could you answer the following simple questions:

Thanks for your participation.
    1. 53.4 MB
    2. I only have 3 states installed: Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin
    3. My basemap says Worldwide Routable Basemap & is 31.9 MB

Hey, for an un-related question - how many of you use BackupMan for your backups? Ted at Garmin is saying that appears to be the cause of the installation problem (not continuing the install process upon insertion of the sd card) some of us have had. He said he tested it on his end & was able to duplicate the issue when he installed BackupMan.

Oh, & last night I installed TealLock - it looks like it might also cause conflicts, because I couldn't even get into Mobile 10 today until I moved TealLock to my card (every time I selected Mobile 10 my phone would reset). It won't do me much good there....!
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pconley View Post
    Oh, & last night I installed TealLock - it looks like it might also cause conflicts, because I couldn't even get into Mobile 10 today until I moved TealLock to my card (every time I selected Mobile 10 my phone would reset). It won't do me much good there....!
    I don't use BackupMan. I heartily recommend Resco Backup. No problems with Mobile XT, and it has saved my data many times.

I'm running TealLock Standard 6.11 and not seeing any problems there - but I'm on a 700p.
    Not trying to be dumb by asking the obvious - Did you contact the BackupMan people to let them know what you've discovered? I emailed them about doing backups since installing Mobile XT - I've had to exclude all of the Garmin files before doing a backup, otherwise it stops the backup & resets my phone. I also recently sent them the link to the Mobile XT update on the Garmin site, so they can look at the files to figure out what the problem is. It sounds like this is related?
    Oh, oh, pconley. I would have paid good money to know what you just typed 18 hours ago.

Last night, I noticed for the first time that my Backupman backups were corrupted. For whatever reason, I was thinking it had to be SD card related. I did e-mail them, and they suggested that I reformat the SD card. After spending an incredible amount of time reformatting, reinstalling, debugging, I came to the realization about 3 hours ago that it was the Mobile XT files.

Good to know that a solution is to simple exclude the files (no big deal for now). However, the problem I have now is that Mobile XT, reinstalled off my card, is much slower than before. The card itself had been backed up onto my PC, reformatted, and restored from the PC.

What can I do to get it back up to the previous speed? What is causing the slowdown?

If I reinstall from scratch, can I start with the newer version on the web page plus MapInstall (already on my PC) and bypass the DVD? Do you think that will help?
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    I don't use BackupMan. I heartily recommend Resco Backup. No problems with Mobile XT, and it has saved my data many times.

I'm running TealLock Standard 6.11 and not seeing any problems there - but I'm on a 700p.
    No need to remove Resco Backup to install Mobile XT?
    Ah. A pet peeve!

Don't hold your breath. Here's a Garmin press release trumpeting their immediate support for OSX
    I hear that one. I read that same page and got excited, but nothing else on it.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    I was also going to suggest emailing the Garmin beta email address so maybe they might be able to recognize the issue for other people, or maybe shed some light on the issue (although judging by the responses lately I doubt it).

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    That's funny! I just removed Teal Lock last night and I seem to have less problems! I just discovered the "PalmInternals" tool and decieded to try it out.

I'm still up in the air about security apps, and TealLock doesn't "wow" me to the point of buying it yet.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote of the day, from Ted:
    "Let me ask you question, when you had seen this 'detail maps don't support traffic', do you have your card inserted?"

Always refreshing when tech support assumes that I'm a complete *****.
    Yeah I got a response about the "offroading" issue where the map stops working for no apparent reason:

When you seen this, could you see the map with the roads and everything? Some times inserting the SD_Card into the reader it doesnt read it properly (only on occasions ive noticed). in that case, it wasn't reading your card. when you exited Mobile XT software did you take the card out and put it back in? We have only seen this happen, when you somehow create a route without your card inserted with a map.
    It happens WHILE navigating, and restarting Mobile XT only seemed to fix it.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    I have been on the fence about a backup solution too! This would be a good deciding factor! Please keep us updated.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Ok, I think I'm seeing a pattern (correct me if I'm wrong). Bitimage and I have the GPS 10, which came with the non-NT version of City Navigator. We're trying to upgrade from Que to Mobile XT (if you can call that an upgrade) by using the downloadable version of XT from Garmin's website. Mikepikefl and Pconley have the Mobile 10 (the newer receiver) which came with the NT version, and presumably installed Mobile XT from the DVD.

So the question is, is it the receiver or the map set or the version of Mobile XT on the DVD vs. that on Garmin's site? The receiver shouldn't matter, and the map set shouldn't matter if you believe Garmin's assertion that the only difference between NT and non-NT is the way the maps are compressed on the DVD.
    It looks to me to be the map data. I installed my map data from my DVD, and we all appear to be running the same downloaded version of Mobile XT.

I was going to ask if your map data came from a Que install originally.

It seems they don't know everything about their own product, so maybe the "only difference" also affects the traffic and map integration...

PS- Wow, I guess I had some catching up to do. Did I break any etiquette rules about spamming a thread???
    Last edited by mikepikefl; 01/25/2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: PS

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I haven't had any issues - just remove and reinsert the SD card, the Mobile XT installer runs.

I've got Resco doing automatic nightly backups and keeping the last 10. Nice when you realize that crash last week corrupted one of your apps...
    Oh, oh, pconley. I would have paid good money to know what you just typed 18 hours ago.

Last night, I noticed for the first time that my Backupman backups were corrupted. For whatever reason, I was thinking it had to be SD card related. I did e-mail them, and they suggested that I reformat the SD card. After spending an incredible amount of time reformatting, reinstalling, debugging, I came to the realization about 3 hours ago that it was the Mobile XT files.

Good to know that a solution is to simple exclude the files (no big deal for now). However, the problem I have now is that Mobile XT, reinstalled off my card, is much slower than before. The card itself had been backed up onto my PC, reformatted, and restored from the PC.

What can I do to get it back up to the previous speed? What is causing the slowdown?

If I reinstall from scratch, can I start with the newer version on the web page plus MapInstall (already on my PC) and bypass the DVD? Do you think that will help?
    Dang it! I'm sorry I didn't think to post that info. earlier - it didn't occur to me to post it here & to mention it to Ted at Garmin until recently. I'm sorry .....

You should be able to install the Garmin software from the web page plus MapInstall; that's actually what I did when I installed the update. I don't know what to tell you about the speed, though, because my Mobile XT seems to run slower now too but I don't know why.
    I don't know what to tell you about the speed, though, because my Mobile XT seems to run slower now too but I don't know why.
    I have a three hour trip coming up, and I am seriously considering using nRoute on my laptop instead of MobileXT. I can hardly get it to run well on a 40 minute trip, when I delicately prepare my Treo and pray for no phone calls, and turn off email even thought I am totally addicted to email.

*SIGH* Less than ideal.

--Andrew Tanenbaum

Regarding Resco Backup - does it allow you to either restore your entire device to one of several recent backups or to just restore individual files? That's one thing BackupMan does that I really like. I tried out some other backup software recently (I don't remember which one it was) & it didn't give you these options - you could only restore to the last 1 backup, & there was no option to only restore individual files.

Regarding TealLock - I have 6.11, but I haven't paid for it yet. Is yours a registered (paid) version? It could be that it works differently for the 650 than the 700p, but it might also be related to registered vs unregistered. I tried this out a couple weeks ago & I really liked it (previously I've used mSafe but it doesn't have as many options as I'd like, although TealLock has more than I really need) & I was planning on registering it, but not until I can make sure it'll work with Mobile XT!
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast