Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Ted at the gpalmbeta email address must be busy this morning answering emails, because I also received a response from him this morning asking for more info. I just responded so it will be interesting to hear how he responds, if there is anything he can shed light on. I also sent him the link to this thread so he can read about our experiences, hopefully he'll actually take the time to do that.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    I had some WEIRD behavior today.
    I was following a route, and one of the times I woke up the display, I saw a direct line between my position and my destination, and no street info. In the lower right instead of "detail map" or whatever it usually says it said "no map"....
    I get the "no map" thing every once in a while with Que. I suspect that if your BT receiver (which is the hardware key that lets you use the maps) drops out for a few seconds, Que or Mobile XT thinks you're pirating the maps and so disables them. My experience is the same, i.e. that a soft reset clears the problem every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    I get the "no map" thing every once in a while with Que. I suspect that if your BT receiver (which is the hardware key that lets you use the maps) drops out for a few seconds, Que or Mobile XT thinks you're pirating the maps and so disables them.
    Oh interesting, I didn't even think of that. I'm still trying to find the optimal place in my cars for clear satellite view AND good BT reception. The odd thing was that it was still tracking my position... so maybe it happened and then couldn't recover.

My experience is the same, i.e. that a soft reset clears the problem every time.
    I actually didn't have to soft reset. I just closed Mobile XT, and then reopened it. Next time I will try to disable then re-enable the GPS and see what happens.

I'll also post the response I get from Garmin on here since I sent the same info in my post.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Thanks so much for your quick response.
    All I can say is 'wow'! You, and others have surely had some difficult times (looking back on the forum). We have seen so many people install the Mobile XT software just fine.

We want to fix any and all problems that are associated with the Mobile XT software. Please, I encourage you contact this email address regarding additional concerns you might have with the Mobile XT. As it currently stands, you have managed to install (FINALLY) properly onto your Palm device. But unfortunetly, we obviously cannot fix what ever was creating so much difficulty for you-becuase we obviously don't know. My best guess is due to other applications installed when trying to install the Mobile XT software. Reason I say that is becuase on the forum, it sounded like at a time you did a hard reset (got it to the purchased out of box palm setup) and it worked. There are many palm applications available, and we cannot support testing the Mobile XT software against ALL that are available.

If you or anyone else happens to come across any additional problems and you have a minute to document what you did to possibly create these problem. Please send them to me, and I will do my best to see that its fixed.

Warmest Regards,
    Ted
    www.Garmin.com

Garmin Mobile XT Palm Mobile Beta
    GPalmBeta@Garmin.com
    It's encouraging that he's asking us to contact them with problems, but I'm a little disappointed he's assuming the problems are due to other applications installed....
  5.    #105  
    Ok, here's Garmin's response to my question about how to get traffic on Mobile XT when all the other on-line services other than :

"At this point, we have not seen this specific issue. I have reported this to our engineers to look into further. Unfortunately, at this time, we do not have a resolution to this issue. The only suggestion I can make at this moment is to make sure that you have the latest firmware on your unit."

It's obviously a canned response for any problem they don't feel like responding to, it was obviously cut and paste (in a different font) from the rest of the message. And it obviously has no bearing on the problem, since I already told them I have the latest software (City Navigator, Mobile XT and the GPS 10 firmware).

It's nice that Garmin is very fast in responding to inquiries, but it's too bad their responses are never useful. Maybe TomTom is better - there is no issue because you KNOW you won't get any reply from them (or so I've read - I've never owned one of their products.)

UPDATE: Well, I've gone back to Que AGAIN. Just too many crashes with Mobile XT, even the release (non-beta) version, probably because of limited memory on the 650 rather than inherent instability of XT itself. If one can't at least (1) navigate (2) listen to music and (3) answer a phone call, it doesn't work for me. IMHO the routing with real-time traffic info considered was the only "must have" feature of XT not present in Que, but I couldn't get that to work. Yes the 3D view, address book integration and on-line services in XT were nice, but not important enough to struggle with the memory issues. Que requires WAY less system resources and I can easily do (1) - (3) above at the same time. I won't be trying Mobile XT again until I have a phone with more memory like the 700p.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 01/23/2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Ok, so now I've had a chance to play with the latest beta.

I found that the problem with the display turning off goes away if you have the Treo connected to an external power source. I can even see that being a design decision, as leaving the Treo forced on could run down the battery if you forgot to exit the Mobile XT app.

That doesn't explain why Garmin claimed they couldn't reproduce the issue.

On the traffic issue, I also get the 'Detail Maps don't support traffic' message. I'm wondering if only certain maps (large cities like LA, etc) have the support.

mikepikefl: What does yours show under Tools-Manage My Data-Map Sets-Detailed Maps?

The app seems to be getting more stable. I was able to get text messages and incoming phone calls while testing yesterday without problems. I still occasionally get a reset on launching XT, but that's more likely due to the Treos iffy memory handling.
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    On the traffic issue, I also get the 'Detail Maps don't support traffic' message. I'm wondering if only certain maps (large cities like LA, etc) have the support.
    ... I'm in the LA area and I get the same thing, even when the GPS has a fix and thus knows I'm in LA.
    ... I'm in the LA area and I get the same thing, even when the GPS has a fix and thus knows I'm in LA.
    I get the traffic info., I wonder why you guys don't? I'm in MN, & traffic delays always show up as yellow or red on the roads - whether in the downtown area or the suburbs, and there's a yellow diamond in the lower right corner of the screen I can tap on for more info.

I've still had a few resets - most often when launching Mobile XT. I guess I'm no worse off with this update than I was with the original software, but I'm not sure if I'm any better off after going through the uninstall re-install hassles.
    mikepikefl: What does yours show under Tools-Manage My Data-Map Sets-Detailed Maps?
    It says:
    Code:
    City Navigator North America NT v8
    Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Washington, NO

treo2G
    236.9MB
    Treo2G is my 2GB SD card. I don't get why the listed states are cut off... I have most of the North East, Florida, and some of the West Coast.

I also noticed I do have the world wide base map- which I didn't know I had. Thanks!

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  10.    #110  
    I have "City Navigator North America v8." Notice that "NT" is missing. I guess it doesn't matter, since MikePike is an NT-guy and I'm not, and we both have the problem. According to Garmin's site, the ONLY difference between them is the way that the map data bases are compressed on the DVD.

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake, I didn't read the above posts carefully enough. I guess that (so far anyway) there is a pattern here, NT folks get traffic, non-NT folks don't.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 01/24/2007 at 05:02 PM.
    Well-I thought I'd just give you guys an update since I returned my Garmin Mobile XT to TigerGPS and decided that instead of paying a restocking fee that I'd simply exchange it for the TomTom 6 Navigator bundle for about $80 more. They don't charge the restocking fee if you exchange for something of equal or greater value. TigerGPS was customer friendly and prompt throughout this whole process-charging me no shipping and offering to pay for my shipping cost for the return. They simply added the additional cost of the TomTom to my credit card and shipped this to me quickly. I couldn't have been more pleased with the whole process.

So--I see that Garmin is working on our issues and I've been lurking around this thread hoping that it would quickly be a happy ending. But--still having some reset issues unfortunately I see.

Since I've owned both systems now-although not for very long-I will give a quick comparison of my first impressions of the TomTom 6 Navigator vs. the Garmin 10 Mobile XT.

The TomTom is clearly much more stable on my Verizon Treo 700p. Some things I like better about it-but-if the Garmin had been reliable-I would have preferred to keep it. For one thing it was $80 less expensive. It seemed a bit slicker in it's display (smoother drawn lines and curves and I preferred the color schemes) as well as better voice commands in my opinion. The maps seemed better too as most people have stated. I fly out of the Statesville, NC airport for a living and the TomTom doesn't seem to even know that an airport is there (unless I'm missing something being a TomTom newbie).
    But--time will tell how well the maps are done and how accurate they are-they haven't led me astray yet.

But-and it's a big 'but'- the TomTom seems more capable of customizing the display and things. The customizable display settings on the TomTom have many more options if I remember correctly compared to the Garmin. More info is displayed.

The TomTom also doesn't seem nearly as intrusive into the Treo's workings. I believe most if not all of the program is living on my SD Card with all the maps. The Garmin seemed to dig it's roots into the Palm as well as using the SD card. When uninstalling the Garmin software you find that you have to sort of keep digging out the roots to get rid of it all.

I like the zoom slider on the TomTom when you browse the maps. Having to tap the Garmin's plus or minus signs as you zoomed in or out was kind of a pain. The menu system seems more user friendly on the TomTom too as you have to back out of the Garmin one page at a time which was annoying.

The TomTom came packaged very nicely and had an AC charger as well as a 12 volt charger with all sorts of connectors that work both with the TomTom satellite receiver and also my Treo. Overall, I'm pleased with the TomTom but not "wowed" by it like I sort of was with the Garmin at first.

The TomTom's satellite receiver is similar in size and weight to the Garmin's but with about half the battery life (according to the specs). You cannot easily open the TomTom to remove the battery like you can the Garmin's either. Has itty bitty torx like screws or hex screws in it's four corners--which makes me think I'm not supposed to open the thing-and I won't.
    Of course- I know with the Navigator 6 software you don't necessarily have to purchase TomTom's satellite receiver like you must for the Garmin software. Another plus for the TomTom.

Overall--I'm pleased with it--it works reliably from what I've seen. Haven't received any phone calls or emails yet while using it though. Seems to not interfere with my Treo Bluetooth headset connection (sometimes the Garmin messed it up).
    Kinda miss my Garmin--cause it really was just fat slicker for some reason.

No resets so far in 3 days of moderate use on the TomTom. One time for some reason the satellite receiver seemed to simply turn off and I lost my map until I turned it back on and shut off the Navigator program on the phone and then restarted it. It found where I was quickly and resumed the routing I'd been on. Don't yet know what happened there-maybe the funkiness of the Treo's bluetooth simply dropped the receiver and it shut off because of it--who knows. I'll be researching this problem and see what it's all about.

Sorry if this post seems kinda helter skelter and choppy and like it's jumping around--but--you get the idea.

I really hope Garmin takes the time and effort to fix the issues that we have been having and doesn't pass it off on our "conflicting software". That may or may not be true--but--I'm skeptical if it's on our end.

I'll be lurking. It's interesting to read this thread to me. But--I'm not the most exciting person either.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I have "City Navigator North America v8." Notice that "NT" is missing. Could that matter? According to Garmin's site, the ONLY difference between them is the way that the map data bases are compressed on the DVD. But maybe there's really more to it than that?

Interesting. I also have the non-NT version, and no traffic support. I think we're on to something here. I sent an email this morning about the issue, when they reply I'll update them with this info.

How does one get the NT version? I'm using the v8 DVD that Garmin sent me.
    The last few days have been VERY unstable for me. The "offroading" thing happened a couple times, and I've had LOTS of resets.

I've had crashes like "Emul68KMain.c, Line: 403, illegal instruction 7D00 at address 7309A276", the "PACE Data Store Reserve":
    MemoryMgr.c chunk overlocked, and of course the classic "Fatal Exception".

Sometimes it will crash while navigating, then when I go back into it, it crashes almost immediately, and the THIRD time I go back in (sometimes hours or days later) it will think it's still navigating.

*SIGH*

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    I guess it doesn't matter, since MikePike is an NT-guy and I'm not, and we both have the problem.
    Wait, I'm confused. Which problem do we both have? The "offroading" problem? I wasn't sure if you were talking about the traffic problem... (which I don't have).

PS- My first reaction was "No! I'm a Linux guy not an NT guy!"
    Last edited by mikepikefl; 01/24/2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added PS

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Wait, I'm confused. Which problem do we both have? The "offroading" problem? I wasn't sure if you were talking about the traffic problem... (which I don't have).

PS- My first reaction was "No! I'm a Linux guy not an NT guy!"
    And it's really confusing, since bobodobo's post used to say something different, which I replied to.

I think this is the current situation:

Me and bobododo: Have traffic problem, have v8 non-NT mapset.
    mikepikefl: Traffic works, and has NT mapset.

Right?

Anyone else want to check their mapsets?
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    I think this is the current situation:

Me and bobododo: Have traffic problem, have v8 non-NT mapset.
    mikepikefl: Traffic works, and has NT mapset.

Right?

Anyone else want to check their mapsets?
    I think this accurately describes the situation. I think a tie breaker from pconley would shed more light, since we know traffic works for her!

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  17.    #117  
    Very sorry for the confusion. In my usual drunken stupor I messed up, trying to correct and re-correct my posts.

The problem at hand is no traffic, and so far it seems to occur only for non-NT versions of City Navigator. But let's see who else posts here and does or does not have traffic capabilities and does or does not have the NT version.
    I happened to run across the DVD that came with Mobile 10 and figured I'd list some of the details from the front:

Garmin Setup and Map Data DVD
    Garmin Mobile XT
    City Navigator North America NT v8

On the back with my serial number is:
    Garmin Mobile XT & nRoute
    City Navigator North America NT
    VERSION 8

And finally, on the DVD:
    Setup and map data for the Garmin Mobile 10 with nRoute
    Version 8.00
    DVD Disk 1 of 1
    007-01191-00 Rev. A

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    I think this accurately describes the situation. I think a tie breaker from pconley would shed more light, since we know traffic works for her!
    Sorry, sorry, it's been a busy day. I do have the "NT" version - my info. says City Navigator North America NT v8..... so - I think that IS a tie of 2 for each so far.....

Oh, & just to recap - are we all running the latest software update - 4.00.40p? (Assuming there's not already a newer one!)
    Last edited by pconley; 01/24/2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
  20.    #120  
    Ok, I think I'm seeing a pattern (correct me if I'm wrong). Bitimage and I have the GPS 10, which came with the non-NT version of City Navigator. We're trying to upgrade from Que to Mobile XT (if you can call that an upgrade) by using the downloadable version of XT from Garmin's website. Mikepikefl and Pconley have the Mobile 10 (the newer receiver) which came with the NT version, and presumably installed Mobile XT from the DVD.

So the question is, is it the receiver or the map set or the version of Mobile XT on the DVD vs. that on Garmin's site? The receiver shouldn't matter, and the map set shouldn't matter if you believe Garmin's assertion that the only difference between NT and non-NT is the way the maps are compressed on the DVD.