Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Guess what? There's yet another new posting of Mobile XT - but on the GPS 10 page, not the Mobile 10 page:

http://www.garmin.com/support/downlo...ls.jsp?id=1913

This one is dated 1/16/07, whereas the version on the Mobile 10 page is dated 1/12/07. The version number listed on the web pages is the same for both (4.00.40p) but the downloaded files have different names. The one you download from the GPS 10 page is version 4.00.24 and is made for the GPS 10 according to the file name, wheres the one downloaded from the Mobile 10 page is version 4.00.40 according to the file name and does not state specifically which receiver it goes with.

This is all perfectly clear, isn't it?
    Maybe it's clear to someone, but that someone isn't me!!!
  2.    #82  
    I contacted Garmin's tech support about the "The startup application for this card cannot be run" problem. Here is the first response I got:

"First of all let me make sure you are using the Mobile 10X and not the gps 10 these are 2 separate units and one will not work with the smart phones..."

HUH???? I've been using the GPS 10 with my smartphone for a year!!! (Not that it really matters, my problem is with installation, not communication with the GPS receiver.) I think at this rate it will take a long time to get any sort of sensible answer. I'll first have to educate Garmin's tech support about how their products work.
    Quote Originally Posted by pconley View Post
    but now I don't have any maps. I can't for the life of me remember at the moment how I originally installed them on my phone!
    Don't feel bad, I just installed the maps less than a month ago and I already forgot how I did it.

I do know I downloaded this program:
    http://www.garmin.com/support/downlo...ils.jsp?id=209

But I don't remember why. I think there is a tool called "Map Install" that installs to the PC, and it lets you select which map regions you want and then Hotsync them. I'm on my Mac right now otherwise I'd check for you.

At least you are farther along, but it sucks you had to take such drastic measures!
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  4.    #84  
    To install detailed maps:

1. Start MapSource
    2. From the drop-down menu in the upper left hand corner of the MapSource screen, Select "City Navigator North America v8" or whatever your installed map DVD is.
    3. Click on the "Map tool" icon on the toolbar along the top of the MapSource (that's the one that looks like a stylized version of Minnesota, outlined in yellow and black.)
    4. On the map, click the regions for which you want detailed street maps. Zoom in/out and scroll left/right/up/down to see all the regions of interest.
    5. Select Transfer / Send to Device from the menu bar, and select your Treo (as specified by your Palm user name)
    6. MapSource will create one humongous file with all of your maps in it. It will be named GMAPSUPP.IMG. If you select the entire US, the file will be over 1 GB in size. Make sure you have enough space on your SD card.
    7. Do a HotSync. Get a cup of coffee, take a 10 mile run, read the newspaper, and take a nap while you're waiting...
    8. "Enjoy" your Garmin Mobile 10 system.

To install a base map (there must be an easier way but this is what I found works every time...)
    1. Insert your Map DVD
    2. From the pop-up installation menu, select "Palm device"
    3. Select "Custom Setup"
    4. Select "Install Basemap"
    5. Select your preferred basemap. I choose "WorldWide" since the whole world basemap with 5 mile resolution is "only" 32 MB, which is small compared to the SD card capacity. And it comes in handy for those times you need to know the major roads and cities in Sri Lanka.
    6. Select Next/Next
    7. HotSync
    8. Enjoy
    Well, it took me a little time, but after some sleep & some time away from this whole situation, I finally found what I needed - but I have to say it wasn't easy.

When I put in the cd there was no choice on the autorun menu to install maps, so I looked at the cd's file structure through Windows Explorer. There's a directory called MapInstall that seemed like a logical enough place, but that folder contains one *.cab file & a bunch of *.msi files. I really expected to see an *.exe file to install the maps, so I wasn't finding what I needed. The file to install the maps - for your future reference & mine - is the *.msi file for your language. The description in Windows Explorer for these *.msi files does say "windows installer package" - but when I'm looking for an *.exe file & not finding it I tend not to notice these things.

Double-clicking on the appropriate *.msi file starts up the map installer & allows you to choose the states you want to install.

Sheesh!!!! Now I really REALLY hope the reset issue has been fixed in this update......
  6.    #86  
    Well I got Mobile XT to install. One of those cases where I don't know what I did right all of a sudden. I THINK the problem was, after you HotSync the installation files, at some point you get a dialog box saying something like "do you want to replace Startup.prc with the newer version?" and I thought, yeah, sure. Well apparently that was the wrong answer. When I just answer "no" to any question like that then XT would install.

The other problem was that I did the card out/in trick but XT said there wasn't enough DB Cache. So I ran MemInfo (free app) and selected "flush DB Cache" and finally XT installed. Mobile XT seems to run fine now but I haven't been able to exercise it much yet BECAUSE...

... my GPS 10 receiver crashed! It won't communicate with either the Treo or the laptop. I can't even turn it off, I just get the blinky blue light! Since there is no reset button, I guess I'll have to wait until the battery dies, charge it up and restart it.
    I can't even turn it off, I just get the blinky blue light! Since there is no reset button, I guess I'll have to wait until the battery dies, charge it up and restart it.
    Good gravy! I'll be really glad when we get past these crazy issues.

Isn't there a battery in these things that we could replace in the future? Can you remove the battery?
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by pconley View Post
    Isn't there a battery in these things that we could replace in the future? Can you remove the battery?
    Not without taking the device apart and presumably voiding the warranty.
    Not without taking the device apart and presumably voiding the warranty.
    Oh, I forgot - you have the GPS 10 receiver. That's one nice thing with the Mobile 10 receiver - the battery is removable & replaceable. Too bad....
  10.    #90  
    Yes, I have the GPS 10. Ok, the battery discharged (how often are you impatiently waiting for the battery to discharge???) and now FINALLY everything seems to be working. The Mobile XT installer file name says version 4.00.28, but the GPS info page says 4.00.40, which makes more sense. I still have to put this version through the paces to see if I want to keep it or go back to Que (again...)
    Had to drop our daughter off at the Metrodome this afternoon, so I thought I'd try out the updated Mobile 10 software on the drive there & home.

For the most part it was fine, but the screen redraws sure seemed slower than before at some times. At one point the voice directions started breaking up a bit, then the screen blanked out (it didn't reset but the screen turned white), and then I decided to reset it. Even though the screen wasn't displaying anything the voice directions were still there, but I didn't like not being able to see the map. Once I reset it, it seemed fine the rest of the trip, but I'll have to try it out on more routes to see how it goes.

I'm going to email Garmin Tech Support again & tell them they have to check out these forums about our experiences. Last week when I talked to one of the techs, they also gave me this email address to send info. to - gpalmbeta@garmin.com - so I think I'll send the same info. to both of these addresses. Supposedly the "gpalmbeta" one is going right to the engineers who work on the software.
  12.    #92  
    My experience thus far with the latest release of Mobile XT is that it is quite stable compared to the beta versions. It works fine, is fast, and does what it is supposed to do BUT

1. I still dislike (1) the way huge data fields reduce the displayed map area to a "cinemascope" of maybe 160 x 320 pixels and (2) the lack of 5-way button support; using the 5-way with Que is often easier than thumbscreening on XT, especially considering that going backwards through the menus requires continually pressing "back...back...back" on XT as compared to just using the 5-way with Que.

2. It only runs fine as a stand-alone program. If for example I try to run XT in the background with PocketTunes in the foreground or vice versa, I often get a crash. I don't know whether this is a strictly a memory issue (I have 5.6 MB free) or a real software problem independent of memory. If I do a DB Cache flush then the likelihood of crash decreases, so I suspect memory. I had no such problems with Que, with which I had about 9.5 MB free after everything is installed.

3. The on-line services are nice, but the one that REALLY counts (traffic, so you can generate least-time routes based on current traffic conditions) is not implemented as far as I can tell.

So even though the released (non-beta) version of Mobile XT is now stable as a stand-alone program, I'll probably go back to Que "for good," meaning at least until I get a 700p or something with more memory.
    I agree, the new version seems more stable. I went on a few trips and did a lot of start and stops, closing and reopening Mobile XT, and I didn't get a single crash or reset. I also played with a multi-stop plan, and added a stop and reordered them while travelling. Pretty neat.

I didn't try the Beta version, only the version that shipped with the unit.

I agree with a lot of what bobodobo said above, except the traffic. That seems to work fine for me. I travel up and down I93 between NH and Boston, and there is tons of traffic. I can reroute around the traffic events, which "beep" and popup a little "caution sign" when it detects them while travelling. If it detects during the routing, it appears to just route around them. There is a preference that allows you to turn this feature on or off.

I have yet to receive a phone call while navigating. We'll see.

I also don't like how the screen turns off all the time. I read a review that said this software didn't do that, so I was excited. I expected a preference option but there isn't. I read in the manual I think that you have to set your device not to turn off if you don't want it to. Not ideal. TCPMP works how I'd expect. Mobile XT does wake up when you get near a routing point though, which is good. It also responds much better to the power button. Faster, and that's also where I got most of my crashes I think- clicking power quick to view the map.

I still haven't received a response to my email. I may try the email pconley suggested.

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    I agree with a lot of what bobodobo said above, except the traffic. That seems to work fine for me.
    Really? How do you do that?

If I go to Tools / Garmin Online / Subscription status, it says that my active services are Weather, Fuel Prices, Hotels, Weather and Traffic. All the services other than traffic work fine.

If I go to Tools / Garmin Online / Traffic, I get a message saying "Detail Maps Don't Support Traffic." Then I dismiss the message, and I get a blank pages saying "traffic events." I can't even get a list of traffic events, much less routing with traffic considerations. But I have the latest City Navigator v8 DVD, which is what I think you have.

Also, the Garmin Mobile 10 web page doesn't even mention traffic, except for the traffic.com banner at the top of the page, which just takes you to traffic.com's home page. I'm not sure how one even signs up for traffic services, if that can be done. my.garmin.com doesn't offer traffic as an option.

Any suggestions (well, other than to contact Garmin, which I will...)
  15.    #95  
    I also don't like how the screen turns off all the time. I read a review that said this software didn't do that, so I was excited. I expected a preference option but there isn't. I read in the manual I think that you have to set your device not to turn off if you don't want it to.
    Try OnCradleOn - a small free app. It keeps the Treo screen from turning off when it's plugged in (which it usually is in your car.) Also good when you want to use the Treo as a nightlight in a dark motel room. And you can disable it if the need arises.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I also don't like how the screen turns off all the time. I read a review that said this software didn't do that, so I was excited.
    I think you read my review. On my Verizon Treo 700p, the first release of the beta stayed on. All the releases since then turn off when the auto-off timer expires.

I've emailed back-and-forth with Garmin about this issue for weeks, even going as far as hard-resetting my Treo and installing only Mobile XT. Still turns off.

Garmin insists that they can't reproduce the problem.

Please email them at the beta address and let them know that I'm not the only one with the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    Please email them at the beta address and let them know that I'm not the only one with the issue.
    Done!

Try OnCradleOn - a small free app. It keeps the Treo screen from turning off when it's plugged in (which it usually is in your car.)
    I don't have a car charger at the moment.

Really? How do you do that?
    Heh, I have no idea! I registered, and yes, same DVD. When I go there I see traffic events, and like I said they pop up while navigating. I did tell it that it could connect to the net whenever it wants since I usually have ChatterEmail checking email most of the time.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    I've also been seeing traffic info. & routes seem to take traffic into account. Yesterday when we were on our way home from the Metrodome, my husband told me how he was going to go home. I asked him why he wasn't using the Garmin instructions & he said "because that's not the best way home from here". A few minutes later we ran into quite a bit of traffic & were barely moving & then he said "oh, maybe that's why your gps wanted us to go the other way - that's pretty cool!"

Oh yeah, I read in another post somewhere on Treocentral about OnCradleOn & downloaded it about a week ago. It's very cool & seems to work with no problems whatsoever.
    Last edited by pconley; 01/21/2007 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
    I had some WEIRD behavior today.

I was following a route, and one of the times I woke up the display, I saw a direct line between my position and my destination, and no street info. In the lower right instead of "detail map" or whatever it usually says it said "no map".

I tapped on the text at the top of the screen to see the route info (which had been working not too long before) and it said "Route information is not available for off-road trips" or something. My first thought was that perhaps I had mistakenly not installed a map for the area I was in, but I was pretty sure I selected the entire state.

I ended up having to close and reopen Mobile XT, and it started working fine again. Never seen that one before.

I was however pleased that there were no crashes or resets, and I had Chatteremail running the whole time.

Again, I didn't receive a phone call, and I didn't receive any email, so we'll see.

I sent this info to the beta email address.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    Here is the response I received. It sounds like they are saying to me that they know and can't do anything about it... whereas with you they are saying "huh, works fine for us"

From: "Garmin Mobile XT Palm Mobile Beta" <GPalmBeta@Garmin.com>

Thanks for your response. I will gladly forward your thoughts over to engineering regarding the power off setting while in navigation mode.
    The biggest problem with that is becuase there is no really good way to shut it off. Most of our setting features (such as britness control, audio control...) come directly from the Palm itself. There is not really a descent way of turning off/on while swapping between navigation mode and non navigation mode.

Warmest Regards,
    Ted
    Last edited by mikepikefl; 01/22/2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added more info to quote

--Andrew Tanenbaum
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast