Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Has ANYONE gotten the latest (1/12/07) update to install?
    Ok, so it seemed to work fine for me.

Here's what I did. Since you guys mentioned uninstalling, and that didn't work for you, I didn't do it.

1) I downloaded and ran the installer.
    2) Followed the instructions, did the hotsync, turned on the GPS 10X.
    3) Shut off my phone. (I should have turned on Bluetooth but forgot)
    4) Ejected and reinserted the card
    5) It said "There is an older version, do you want to reinstall?" I said yes
    6) It said it finished, and needed to reset
    7) It reset, came back up and started looking for the GPS...
    8) At this point TealLock kicked in, I unlocked the device, and then it hard locked. Oops.
    9) I took the card out, reset using the reset hole.
    10) I unlocked TealLock, and re-inserted the card
    11) Garmin setup ran again and said "The latest version is already installed, do you want to run it now?" I said no.
    12) I turned on Bluetooth, and re-ran Mobile XT
    13) It found the GPS, and I looked in Settings... About and noted the version was indeed the new version.

Hope this helps other people. As for stability, I'm going to try it out on my drive home from work tonight.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by pconley View Post
    I had tried signing up on the Garmin site to be notified of updates but that appears to be broken, so I wasn't aware there was an update.
    I've been having the same problem. I guess I should email them about the mailing list being broken. I didn't understand what happened the first time the email bounced, but when I manually tried to sign up AGAIN and it bounced, I read the error message more clearly.

This whole product delivery seems to have been rushed through. I was reading the anticipation for it's release for months, and maybe they succumbed to the pressure or something. Oh well.

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Ok, so it seemed to work fine for me.

Here's what I did. Since you guys mentioned uninstalling, and that didn't work for you, I didn't do it.

Hope this helps other people. As for stability, I'm going to try it out on my drive home from work tonight.
    Glad to hear you were able to install, let us know how it works - hopefully no more resets?????
    If so, I may just do another hard reset & wipe everything off (again), then I should be able to install the update. I just don't like having to resort to that drastic of an approach - it took me hours to reinstall everything on my phone.
    Ok so because I can't leave well-enough alone, ended up having to reinstall today. I got carried away "trimming down" the install. I removed all the extra voices for languages I don't speak, and all the extra help files for languages I don't read.

Then I got the bright idea to remove the install files because, duh, I'm done installing, and I was tired of having the installer start every time I popped in my card. THEN I decided to remove the extra language stuff from the device (XTSetup_*). Apparently that's not a good idea. And of course I couldn't just reinstall from the card.

So here is an updated install guide that I managed to do without any hitches!

1) I re-ran the installer.
    3) Shut off my phone.
    4) Turned on bluetooth
    5) Ejected and reinserted the card
    6) It asked if I wanted to install, I said yes
    7) It said it finished, and needed to reset
    8) It reset, as soon as it reset I popped out the card
    9) I unlocked TealLock
    10) Bluetooth was off, even though I turned it on before the reset. So I turned it on, again.
    11) I re-inserted the card, Garmin setup ran again and said "The latest version is already installed, do you want to run it now?" I said yes.
    12) It found the GPS, and ran fine.

So I ran a couple small tests, on my way to lunch and back. It worked well. I had one reset while messing around, I don't remember what I was doing. It said it was a "Fatal Exception". And I messed up the install before my drive home from work, so I couldn't run that test. Ooops.
    Last edited by mikepikefl; 01/18/2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added info

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Ok so because I can't leave well-enough alone, ended up having to reinstall today. I got carried away "trimming down" the install.
    I actually found this quite funny, because it sounds EXACTLY like the kind of thing I'd do....!

So here is an updated install guide that I managed to do without any hitches!

1) I re-ran the installer.
    3) Shut off my phone.
    4) Turned on bluetooth
    5) Ejected and reinserted the card
    6) It asked if I wanted to install, I said yes
    7) It said it finished, and needed to reset
    8) It reset, as soon as it reset I popped out the card
    9) I unlocked TealLock
    10) Bluetooth was off, even though I turned it on before the reset. So I turned it on, again.
    11) I re-inserted the card, Garmin setup ran again and said "The latest version is already installed, do you want to run it now?" I said yes.
    12) It found the GPS, and ran fine.
    I'm really glad to hear that this worked for you. Unfortunately, I'm still having the same issue (I even tried again, by following your sequence, to see if somehow it would just work). I get stuck at step 6 - I eject & reinsert the card, and . . . . . . . nothing happens (well, other than my Treo blips when I eject & again upon insertion). No messages, no errors, nothing to continue the install.

I feel like I must be missing something? I'm at a loss as to what else to do other than a total wipe & reinstall on a bare Treo, but I want to avoid that if I can - unless someone can tell me how to do it with less hassle?

I called Garmin yesterday from work but they couldn't really tell me anything helpful. The tech was going to walk me through the install but I kinda have to be by a computer to do that, preferably my own. I called again yesterday when I got home from work & got a tech who said all of the techs that can help me with this particular product leave at 5.... it was a little after 6. I tried again tonight just in case I might luck out, & got the same tech as last night (and he remembered I had called & talked to him yesterday)!!! He was really nice & tried to help, he actually went looking for anyone who might know anything about this product, but the person he found suggested things like - making sure my firmware is up to date (been there, done that), wanted to know what size, brand & speed my sd card are (1GB, Lexar, um... "regular"?) Ultimately he was no help. It's really tough because I absolutely can't call their tech support from 8-5 because it turns out those are my exact hours....
    I eject & reinsert the card, and . . . . . . . nothing happens (well, other than my Treo blips when I eject & again upon insertion). No messages, no errors, nothing to continue the install.
    Weird. That sounds like the "autorun" feature is not working. I'm not an expert on Palm internals or anything, so I don't know if it's possible for it to be disabled by something- a program, an option, or even your firmware (I know Sprint, Verizon, etc like to customize these things).

I wasn't even aware of this autorun feature until I was researching security programs.

On your SD card, under \PALM\ anything named "Start.prc" should be executed when the card is inserted. Can you use FileZ to see if it's even there? If not maybe we can put it there!

Let me know how that works out.

PS- Here is a link i found by searching for "start.prc" that talks about this exact problem: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ight=start.prc
    Last edited by mikepikefl; 01/19/2007 at 07:50 AM. Reason: added link, fixed incorrect info

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    On your SD card, under \PALM\ anything named "Start.prc" should be executed when the card is inserted. Can you use FileZ to see if it's even there? If not maybe we can put it there!

PS- Here is a link i found by searching for "start.prc" that talks about this exact problem: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ight=start.prc
    Yes, I looked & that file IS there.

I initially thought maybe I somehow had done something screwy, but I had this exact same problem when I first attempted to install the beta update. That's why I eventually hard reset my phone, removed everything from my sd card, & I even un-installed Palm desktop from my pc (after I made a copy of the files, so I could get my data back later). Then I re-installed Palm desktop and did a hotsync to my phone - & only then was I able to install the beta. Unfortunately it was a long & tedious process to re-install all of the programs & copy the previously copied database files back to the new palm directory.....

I'm thinking the only way this could happen would be if something got hosed up when I used the uninstall option within the Mobile XT setup file? But why would it cause problems for me & not for you???

Since my husband also has a Treo 650, I got to wondering last night, so I popped my sd card out of my Treo & put it into his. Lo & behold the screen asked me if I wanted to install Mobile XT on his phone! That tells me there's not necessarily anything wrong with the installation process, but that yes, something is wonky with my phone..... again - I have to think it has to do with the un-installation of the previous version.

Any more ideas?

Oh, & how's the update been running for you? Any less resets than before?

Patti
    Last edited by pconley; 01/19/2007 at 12:46 PM.
    I have to think it has to do with the un-installation of the previous version.

Any more ideas?

Oh, & how's the update been running for you? Any less resets than before?

Patti
    Do you have the "Reinstall" option in the XTSetup program? Maybe that would start it? I can't remember if we already tried that.

So yes, it appears to be running better... but I also haven't had many opportunities to give it a good work out. I'm out sick from work today so I didn't get to do my 45 minute commute.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Do you have the "Reinstall" option in the XTSetup program? Maybe that would start it? I can't remember if we already tried that.
    No, I don't have that, because I... uh.... don't have the XTSetup program anymore. When I did the uninstall of the previous version it said I could delete XT Setup, so I did.

I'm out sick from work today so I didn't get to do my 45 minute commute.
    Gee, I'm not sure which is worse - not feeling well or a 45 minute drive to work? I guess it depends on the traffic.....
    No, I don't have that, because I... uh.... don't have the XTSetup program anymore. When I did the uninstall of the previous version it said I could delete XT Setup, so I did.
    Ok here's my next idea!

Use FileZ or something like that, and copy from your SD card \Garmin\Apps\Palm\XTSetup* to Internal. If that doesn't work, just start copying stuff from there over until it does. :-)

Then try to use XTSetup to reinstall. Phew!

If I have to, I can remove everything, get the install to the point where you are, and see what should be there.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    OK, I may be either there or really close now..... I copied over all the files from that directory that start with XT - when I just did the XTSetup files it didn't get any further. The only file I couldn't copy over was XTLib.prc - that one said there was an error & it was going to stop copying (go figure).

After I copied over the files I did a soft reset, then a screen said some files were missing from XT Setup & to go into XT Setup & select Reinstall. I did that, then I got a message that said "the handheld has been prepared for installation - please reinstall the Garmin Mobile XT software by inserting the card" but just ejecting it & pushing it back in didn't do anything - but I left my GPS receiver at home today so hopefully that's the key?

I'll have to try when I get home (in a couple hours) to see if I'm there yet & I'll let you know.

Thank you for helping me - I know I wouldn't have gotten to this point on my own - I was really expecting that I'd have to do a hard reset & start that process again. Now I may not have to resort to that!!!

I'll update you on my progress when I get home - I'm going to check this out first thing!!
    I just got home, turned on my GPS thing, popped out the card & popped it back in, still nothing......!
    Argh.
    I'm running out of ideas.

My last two are:

-Try clicking "Reinstall" again. It can't hurt.

- Soft Reset again. It seemed like the autorun worked after the soft reset? Or did I misunderstand that?

I wish I knew of a way to manually run "start.prc". One last idea... Copy the files from /Palm/ to /Palm/Launcher.

You should be able to select the card as an app category, and maybe run it from there? I'll try it on mine and see what happens.

Well I tried it and it didn't work. I even tried renaming start.prc to test.prc. Either way it didn't show up in the SD card category.
    Last edited by mikepikefl; 01/19/2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: added info after trying something

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    I'm going to wait a little bit - I've been bugging my husband for some time to update his firmware, he's actually doing that right now (finally!!). After he finishes with that, I want him to try my sd card again & see if inserting it still brings up the "do you want to install Mobile XT" message on his phone. If not, that might mean something.....?
    Even if it does still work in his, I might be able to compare the files on his with mine, & figure something out that way.

I can't remember - is your 650 with Sprint too? If so, are you running the latest firmware version?
    I can't remember - is your 650 with Sprint too? If so, are you running the latest firmware version?
    Yeah I have Sprint (it says it in my sig ), and I'm running 1.13a (I think that's the latest).

Good luck!

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Duh! I've even looked at that but I didn't notice it in the last couple of messages...(out of sight, out of mind!)

Hey, I also have another idea - but it may not be something that would work. When we do the Sprint firmware updates, they say to create a temporary username to hotsync to. Would it work if I wiped everything off my phone, hotsynced to a temporary user id, installed Garmin (assuming it would install!) then hotsynced again to my own user name? Or would Garmin disappear once I went back to my own user name?
    I'm going to wait a little bit - I've been bugging my husband for some time to update his firmware, he's actually doing that right now (finally!!). After he finishes with that, I want him to try my sd card again & see if inserting it still brings up the "do you want to install Mobile XT" message on his phone. If not, that might mean something.....?
    OK, so get this - he just finished updating his Sprint firmware, we popped my sd card into his Treo & ............... NOTHING HAPPENED.

Now what in the world do you suppose that means?

I think I may still just have to do a hard reset after all & go that route..... too bad.....
  18.    #78  
    Just as another data point, I'm on Verizon (latest ROM, 1.05a) and I don't get nothing, I get the "The startup application for this card cannot be run" message.

But why is it that earlier beta versions of Mobile XT would at least install with the ol' SD card out/in, even if XT didn't run well enough for me to keep it on the Treo?
    Well, I was FINALLY able to get it to install, but I'm feeling like my brain leaked out because I'm not sure what to do now.

I did a hard reset on my phone, copied my backed up files to my desktop & deleted everything from the original <hotsync named> file in my backup directory. Then I did another hotsync so my phone was blank & none of my data was in my backup directory. Then I ran the Garmin updated installer & everything seemed to install fine to my phone, but now I don't have any maps. I can't for the life of me remember at the moment how I originally installed them on my phone!

I guess even though it's not that late (just after 10 pm), it must be time to get a good nights sleep.......
    Last edited by pconley; 01/19/2007 at 10:04 PM. Reason: edited first sentence
  20.    #80  
    Guess what? There's yet another new posting of Mobile XT - but on the GPS 10 page, not the Mobile 10 page:

http://www.garmin.com/support/downlo...ls.jsp?id=1913

This one is dated 1/16/07, whereas the version on the Mobile 10 page is dated 1/12/07. The version number listed on the web pages is the same for both (4.00.40p) but the downloaded files have different names. The one you download from the GPS 10 page is version 4.00.24 and is made for the GPS 10 according to the file name, wheres the one downloaded from the Mobile 10 page is version 4.00.40 according to the file name and does not state specifically which receiver it goes with.

This is all perfectly clear, isn't it?
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast