Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pconley View Post
    I finally decided to go ahead & order a dash mount for my vehicle;
    Let me know how that works out for you! I really want one as well, the manual even says that you shouldn't just set it on the dash.

Oh wait- do you mean a mount for the Treo or for the GPS?

Either way I want mounts for both!!
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Let me know how that works out for you! I really want one as well, the manual even says that you shouldn't just set it on the dash.

Oh wait- do you mean a mount for the Treo or for the GPS?

Either way I want mounts for both!!
    The mount I just ordered is for my Treo. I've read a few messages where others have the Proclips Treo mount, they've said it's kind of expensive & they weren't kidding. I think I paid something like $35 just for the cradle, plus about another $30 for the mount. I guess with this brand you need two pieces - I'm not really familiar with these since I've never owned a mount before. I didn't want one that would suction to the inside of the windshield (although I've heard that in my state they're illegal anyway) but I also didn't want one that would be permanantly stuck to my dash or attached to my cigarette lighter. I have an older vehicle but it's not old enough that I want to "mess up" the inside with a permanent mount & there's not enough room & it'd be too low by the lighter. I'm really curious to see how it installs - apparently it somehow slides in between the dash & the controls ?? It claims to be easy.....

For my GPS unit, I actually have a nice little semi-hidden tray beneath my dash where I can put it while I'm using it & it stays out of the way - and I can have it plugged in & charging while it's in that area. If I don't plug it in I set it in the cupholder. When I'm not using it I keep it in my purse. Guess that's not an option for you?!

Patti
    The mount I just ordered is for my Treo. I've read a few messages where others have the Proclips Treo mount, they've said it's kind of expensive & they weren't kidding. I think I paid something like $35 just for the cradle, plus about another $30 for the mount. I guess with this brand you need two pieces - I'm not really familiar with these since I've never owned a mount before. I didn't want one that would suction to the inside of the windshield (although I've heard that in my state they're illegal anyway) but I also didn't want one that would be permanantly stuck to my dash or attached to my cigarette lighter. I have an older vehicle but it's not old enough that I want to "mess up" the inside with a permanent mount & there's not enough room & it'd be too low by the lighter. I'm really curious to see how it installs - apparently it somehow slides in between the dash & the controls ?? It claims to be easy.....

For my GPS unit, I actually have a nice little semi-hidden tray beneath my dash where I can put it while I'm using it & it stays out of the way - and I can have it plugged in & charging while it's in that area. If I don't plug it in I set it in the cupholder. When I'm not using it I keep it in my purse. Guess that's not an option for you?!

Patti
    I purchased the mounts from ProClip for my Honda Element. I don't know if I'd call it permanent but, as you say, it snaps into part of the dash and there are self-adhesive strips for it to stick to other parts of the dash. I like it, I got the swivel version so I can alter the view depending on glare. I got a suction cup version for my wife's car.

Also, I downloaded STOIC to allow the screen to remain on (when it is charging), so I have chargers for both cars.
    I've been using the Garmin Mobile 10 Mobile XT software on my Verizon Treo 700P since Christmas and unfortunately I'm returning it to TigerGPS for a refund.

When it works--it's really slick. I really, really loved the thing. But--you simply can't count on it to be working when you need it. It just doesn't play well with my 700P.

Soft resets, hard lockups randomly occuring frequently for me. At one point this weekend- it soft reset the phone upon exit (which happens too frequently) and then whenever I attempted to reenter Mobile XT it would reset everytime. Tried all sorts of troubleshooting to get it to work as I really needed the thing at the time--tried making sure the bluetooth GPS receiver was off before opening the software--tried making sure all wireless services were off and disconnected. Got home the next day and tried reloading the Garmin Mobile XT on another laptop I had and then loading it all on another 2GB SD card to see if I could simply keep a clean installed set on another card to load in my phone if this happened again. It didn't work either-reset everytime.

Now I have no choice but a hard reset--reinstall of all phone software--reinstall of the Garmin Mobile XT software from scratch-all told I bet I spent 3hours reinstalling everything to get it working again. I succeeded--but today I used it and just got so frustrated with all of the resets and lockups--back it goes to TigerGPS. It's a shame.

Just thought others might want to know there appear to be issues. Might be me--but--I'm fairly Treo and computer experienced--so I feel like it's not operator error and I know the 700P has multitasking issues--but--dang--even turning any conflicting things off and having plenty of memory on the phone and a 4 GB SD card with lot's of room--the Mobile XT software just doesn't like my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by slats View Post
    When it works--it's really slick. I really, really loved the thing. But--you simply can't count on it to be working when you need it.
    My feelings exactly. It's weird, I've had it working in conjuction with ChatterEmail, and then I've had it reset or lock with nothing else running.

Today it totally hard locked the device while driving, and I couldn't recover the Treo. The red light was on solid and not even the "pop the SD card out" trick would do anything. I had to pop the battery.

I'm holding out for a software upgrade.

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Yeah--it hurts my feelings to send it back. But--I'm able to now with only a restocking fee. I'm afraid if I keep it --and they don't really decide the Treo's are important enough to fix their software for--well--it will be too late.
    Besides--as many lockups as I've had while driving--I'm afraid I'm gonna end up wrecking as I attempt to reset and reload on the fly (I know--I agree not too every time I start the software--and I wouldn't do it if it wouldn't lock up and reset!). Either that or I'll have a stroke or heart attack as I know my blood pressure has got to be going up the more it happens!!!

Hope it gets fixed though--cause it really is a neat thing to have when it works and I've always liked Garmin stuff since I've used it for years when flying.

Dan H.
    Last edited by slats; 01/09/2007 at 08:42 PM. Reason: misspelling
    Slats, I'm sorry to hear you're sending yours back, but you sound like you're having even worse problems than I am. I have random occasional resets but that's pretty much it - I don't have any lockups.

I'm also really hoping for a software fix to be available SOON - I don't want to have to send it back. I haven't been able to call Garmin again the last few days but I think I can call tomorrow to see if they have any more info. (In fact, I think I'll send them another email tonight!) I hope plenty of other 650 or 700 users have been contacting them too - if they know a lot of us are having problems hopefully they'll get it resolved faster.

I'll update with any info. I get from them.

Patti
    I hope plenty of other 650 or 700 users have been contacting them too - if they know a lot of us are having problems hopefully they'll get it resolved faster.
    How/where have you been contacting them? I'd like to add my voice too!

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    How/where have you been contacting them? I'd like to add my voice too!
    I've sent emails to techsupp@garmin.com & so far have gotten responses within 24 hours, sometimes within only a couple of hours. The email correspondence I've received so far has included my message & has been from the same person each time.

I've also called their Tech Support line at 1-800-800-1020 (support hours are listed as 8-5 central time, but last week they told me they're now open until 7 pm central) - I've talked to at least 3 different people on the phone but they all seem fairly knowledgeable. I've called in the evening when I get home from work, and have had to wait on hold at most a couple minutes.

Good luck, post back if you get any new info. since I haven't heard anything back yet.

Patti
    Folks-
    I am so sad/mad that this doesn't work better. I've been checking this board for months, waiting for it to come out, and then for reviews. I want to go with Garmin rather than Tom Tom because I like the Navtec maps, and the fact that maps and POIs are kept more current. I expected more from Garmin at this point, but have not given up hope that they will get it working. I guess I just need to decide whether to wait even longer for a fix, or to give up and get Tom Tom.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Dog Doc View Post
    Folks-
    I am so sad/mad that this doesn't work better. I've been checking this board for months, waiting for it to come out, and then for reviews. I want to go with Garmin rather than Tom Tom because I like the Navtec maps, and the fact that maps and POIs are kept more current. I expected more from Garmin at this point, but have not given up hope that they will get it working. I guess I just need to decide whether to wait even longer for a fix, or to give up and get Tom Tom.
    If you want the Garmin maps/POIs, why not just use Que rather than Mobile XT? As several of us have discussed, it works extremely efficiently and extremely well. Of course you lose the 3D view and on-line services, but how important is that really? Even when I was testing Mobile XT (before going back to Que) I found myself using the 2D view quite often, sometimes the 3D view is disorienting (at least to me.) For me on-line services is a non-issue since I don't subscribe to a data plan (don't wan't to pay Verizon $540/yr just for that.) Just a thought anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    why not just use Que rather than Mobile XT?
    How do those of us that bought the GPS 10X, which included Mobile XT, acquire Que? Can we do so as a free "downgrade"?

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  13.    #53  
    The software is available for free download from

http://www.garmin.com/support/downlo...ls.jsp?id=1441

It certainly works on both the Treo 650 and 700p. I don't know if anyone has tried to use it with the 10X receiver, but my strong suspicion is that it will work - if nothing else, Garmin is very good about forward and backward compatibility.

If you decide to downgrade, let us know how it works.
  14.    #54  
    By the way, I just noticed that a new version (dated Jan. 12, 2007) of Mobile XT is now available on Garmin's website:

http://www.garmin.com/support/collec...t=010-00579-00

Has anyone tried it yet?
    By the way, I just noticed that a new version (dated Jan. 12, 2007) of Mobile XT is now available on Garmin's website:

http://www.garmin.com/support/collec...t=010-00579-00

Has anyone tried it yet?
    Hey, thanks for the heads up! I had tried signing up on the Garmin site to be notified of updates but that appears to be broken, so I wasn't aware there was an update.

I just downloaded it & will post back with my results.

Thanks again!
    Patti
    Last edited by pconley; 01/16/2007 at 07:12 PM.
    So.... I removed the original software using the "Remove" option within XT Setup, & then I removed XT Setup using the Treo's Delete menu option. Then I did a hotsync, & according to the increased amount of free memory (from around 10 to 17M free) on my device I assumed it was gone.

Then I downloaded & ran the installer for the update, but popping my sd card out & then in again isn't detecting anything, it's not continuing the install process.

Any suggestions?
  17.    #57  
    I tried installing the latest version of Mobile XT and I have the same problem. When I Hotsync and do the remove/insert SD card trick, all I get is a message saying "The startup application for this card cannot be run." OK, what am I supposed to do now? I guess yet another call or email to Garmin tech support is in order...
    At least you're getting a message - I get blips when I pop the sd card out & put it back in, but no messages of any kind.....
  19.    #59  
    Wow, an error message. Now that's progress!
    Has ANYONE gotten the latest (1/12/07) update to install?
    Wow, an error message. Now that's progress!
    Has ANYONE gotten the latest (1/12/07) update to install?
    I guess I'll give it a whirl tonight. You guys were scaring me off, but I guess more data will help the community as a whole.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast