Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Giangi View Post
    ...but TTN's maps are now more than obsolete... ...and Garmin is a huge memory hogs so that I cannot really even install it on my Treo 650!
    you can always try the old garmin "que"
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=010-00378-00

un po' antiquato, ma...
    Quote Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
    you can always try the old garmin "que"
    Uhm... interessante! but can it read current maps? otherwise I will not even try to load it!!
    Ciao,
    Giangi
    Oh my God! I just seen the pictures into the PalmOS guide pdf and it's awful! ...I will not try it and stick with TTN v6...
    Ciao,
    Giangi
    ...but TTN's maps are now more than obsolete... ...and Garmin is a huge memory hogs so that I cannot really even install it on my Treo 650!
    I've got Garmin on my spare T650 as a backup to my T680.

On the T650 I've got a cut down custom ROM, which means I have 13mb of free NVFS cache.

Add in CleanStart to reduce the number of apps loading after a reset, and I've got a T650 which is quite happy with Garmin
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    On the T650 I've got a cut down custom ROM, which means I have 13mb of free NVFS cache.
    Mine is cutted too but I use it everyday so it has only 8,3mb free...
    A friend of mine has moved from T650 to HTC some month ago, recently I asked if he still had it and eventually he gave it to me for free because he wasn't able to power it on!!
    I have tried many way to resume it but nothing... I have even opened it following a tutorial but... so now I only have a spare battery and a spare recharge unit...
    Me too I was thinking about using it only for Garmin, after having stripped down to a bare level the rom!
    Btw, the problem is that there is no way to move something on the SD, everything must stay on ram! (at least I wasn't able to move anything)
    Ciao,
    Giangi
    Mine is cutted too but I use it everyday so it has only 8,3mb free...
    We are talking about the same memory are we, as the amount of NVFS cache is not affected by what you install for use everyday.

MemInfo quotes me as having 11mb of free Storage Heap(Flash), which is what some people refer to as RAM, and 13mb of free NVFS DB Cache(RAM).

Very simply, the more you take out of your ROM, the more DBCache you will have. Unless the custom ROM you used had other goodies put back in, which could then reduce your free DBCache to less than standard.
    Thought of the day :
    Very simply, the more you take out of your ROM, the more DBCache you will have. Unless the custom ROM you used had other goodies put back in, which could then reduce your free DBCache to less than standard.
    Actually I have only a couple of things added to the rom after the "clean up", but I HAVE trimmed it even further from the original size for my 1.20 ENA which is 8,4Mb to 7,1Mb using a different RomUpdaterApp.prc

Last time I did a rom refresh I saved these info:
    Storage Heap Size: 24030KB
    Storage Heap Total Free: 9184KB
    NVFS DB Cache Size: 12671KB
    NVFS DB Cache Total Free: 12358KB
    NVFS DB Cache Largest Free Chunk: 9430KB
    Dynamic Heap Size: 5440KB
    Dynamic Heap Total Free: 4783KB
    Dynamic Heap Largest Free Chunk: 4568KB

- Largest ROM size 7.136.768
    - Current ROM size 6.484.581
    - Wasted Space
    Ciao,
    Giangi
    If only Garmin made their ver on Palm not to be so graphicly nice & ease up on the memory hog, it might run as smooth as TomTom Navigator.

I tested my N95's Garmin, along with my 680s Garmin & TomTom.

Garmin wise, N95 wins ... But it's still pretty slow compaired to TomTom on the 680.

If Apple allowed TomTom on the iPhone, that will destory every unit in it's path! With the screen that big, it will be better then a stand a lone units.

Let's hope TomTom will becoming to the Pre, before Garmin comes out with the Nuvi phone.
    Last edited by E2EK1EL; 01/25/2009 at 12:05 PM.
    Whew! after reading all those posts from #1 it gave me a headache and looks like im going to give up trying to buy myself a freedom gps 2000 keychain.

I too have a treo 650 and downloaded garmin mobile xt for my device from garmin website.

After all those reading i feel like this combination will not work on me.

Never had a problem with my HTC Tytn II (never should have sold it). It worked perfectly with the garmin xt with my north america map and philippine map.

Should any of you guys have made it work please help us
    Not much going on in this thread now, so either:

- Everyone is happy as the software is bug free, or
    - Everyone has given up on using it on their Palm due to the bugs.

I'm in the latter, but for two reasons.

Firstly, GPS units are so cheap now that it's just as easy to buy a bug free standalone unit, than try to keep MobileXT working on my Palm.

Secondly, I found that the older Garmin BT unit I was using was getting outdated, but the newer units do not seem to be compatible and the feed back from Garmin on this did not help.

I still like the concept of using GPS on my handheld, but think the lack of support from Garmin has killed it off for me.

Currently I'm about to buy a Zumo 660 for use on my bike, but Garmin have cocked up the launch of that model, having to stop shipment while they sort out a problem with the update to the firmware that came out within a week of the first units shipping.

So how about previous fellow MobileXT users on Palm, what are you doing currently on the GPS front?
    Thought of the day :
  11. Zcu
    Using Mobile XT on my centro and love it !!!!!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaQ2 View Post
    Whew! after reading all those posts from #1 it gave me a headache and looks like im going to give up trying to buy myself a freedom gps 2000 keychain.

I too have a treo 650 and downloaded garmin mobile xt for my device from garmin website.

After all those reading i feel like this combination will not work on me.

Never had a problem with my HTC Tytn II (never should have sold it). It worked perfectly with the garmin xt with my north america map and philippine map.

Should any of you guys have made it work please help us
    Hrm. works fine for me on my centro. I love the keychain, and have mobile xt running maps on my 4gig sd card. I use this combo 2-3 times a week. I just wish I could figure out how to update the maps without having to buy the whole new card. I hear Garmin is going to discontinue the product since the palm os is dead.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    I went from my Garmin XT running on my Centro, to a Garmin Nuvi for a few weeks, and then back to Garmin XT on the Centro. Why?

- Didn't need/desire a separate device -- liked the fact that my phone worked great for what I wanted to do
    - The Garmin XT has a nice advantage over the AIO devices... integrated internet for Google POI searches, lowest fuel searches, traffic, etc. On all the Nuvi's, etc, you're forced to pay for such "access" on per month basis.

The only downside, is that when I use my BT headset during a phone call, I temporarily lose the GPS signal.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Interesting replies, thanks.

One problem for me is that my 680 suffers from the 'phantom pauses' on a regular basis.

A hard reset and a limited re-install of my many apps might fix it, but I'm loathed to do it.

Perhaps I need to do it and try MobileXT again
    Thought of the day :
    Interesting replies, thanks.

One problem for me is that my 680 suffers from the 'phantom pauses' on a regular basis.

A hard reset and a limited re-install of my many apps might fix it, but I'm loathed to do it.

Perhaps I need to do it and try MobileXT again
    Given the limitations of Palm OS, I also found myself having to build the perfect mixture of tweaks to ensure that all my apps work, especially with resource hogs like Garmin XT.

Some things I found that helped, which I still use today for my Centro:
    - running Lightspeed for Garmin, GoogleMaps, and Blazer, with a 221 x 2.5 = 552 CPU setting
    - running RLock to lock down any problematic apps that run in the background
    - running Reset Doctor to keep the DBcache cleared (there's other apps to do this)
    Well I've done my Hard Reset and re-install, and my 680 is a lot more snappy.

MobileXT is a lot more stable now, so perhaps I owe Garmin an apology

It does work better in 2D mode, so I'm sticking with that for now.

I'd forgotten that 5.00.10p had got the new "next Turn Box" top left. Very handy.

I don't suppose Lane Assist would work if I added the newer maps

BTW Headcase, thanks for the tips.
    I also use the free CleanStart app (instead of UnCache) which helps increase DbCache and increase free Dynamic Heap memory, by letting you decide which apps 'load' at a Reset.
    Thought of the day :
    Well I've done my Hard Reset and re-install, and my 680 is a lot more snappy.

MobileXT is a lot more stable now, so perhaps I owe Garmin an apology

It does work better in 2D mode, so I'm sticking with that for now.

I'd forgotten that 5.00.10p had got the new "next Turn Box" top left. Very handy.

I don't suppose Lane Assist would work if I added the newer maps

BTW Headcase, thanks for the tips.
    I also use the free CleanStart app (instead of UnCache) which helps increase DbCache and increase free Dynamic Heap memory, by letting you decide which apps 'load' at a Reset.
    Glad to have helped. By the way, which apps are you having CleanStart hold back from loading at reset? I figured that since most of my apps run often and many run in the background, it wouldn't matter much if I took that approach versus running Reset Doctor to keep cleaning our the DBcache when it begins to run low.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Glad to have helped. By the way, which apps are you having CleanStart hold back from loading at reset? I figured that since most of my apps run often and many run in the background, it wouldn't matter much if I took that approach versus running Reset Doctor to keep cleaning our the DBcache when it begins to run low.
    A shorter list would be those that CleanStart allows to load.

As I understand it, after a Reset the OS will load every app in the main RAM memory. Those that do not need to be loaded will be un-loaded, and those such as ones that trigger 'alarms' will be left loaded.

So Butler, Phone Techinican, Reset Doctor, RLocker, APT, CallRec etc will stay loaded, but things like Card Reader, DiddleBug, FileZ, MobileXT etc will un-load.

These un-loadings can fragment your memory.

By using CleanStart I get larger free chucks of NVFS dbCache and Dynamic Heap memory, which help make it run better.

I have a profile set in CleanStart for MobileXT, which will allow MobileXT and a very few other apps to run, so if I want to use MobileXT I have maximum memory available, but I also have a General profile, which excludes MobileXT.

Hope that all makes sense

From what I've seen, Reset Doctor flushes the dbCache well, but does not have an effect on the Largest Chunk, which can make a big difference.
    Thought of the day :
  19.    #499  
    I've found that just a Backup to SD / Hard Reset / Restore (e.g. from RescoBackup) clears up a lot of space, even without reinstalling all the apps. I just did that on my old 650 and my free space went from essentially zero to over 10 MB!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Not much going on in this thread now, so either:

- Everyone is happy as the software is bug free, or
    - Everyone has given up on using it on their Palm due to the bugs.

So how about previous fellow MobileXT users on Palm, what are you doing currently on the GPS front?
    I still use my 680 with both the Freedom and Garmin 10x receivers, and they work fine (I prefer the Freedom as it's easier to clip onto something and it's smaller, but the Garmin 10x provides a battery charge indication in Mobile XT which is handy). I use this combo primarily when traveling as my other GPS's are more bulky and/or require the mount (Zumo 450) to be usable. I've had no bugginess with the 680/Mobile XT.

For car and motorcycle I use other Garmin models (Streetpilot and Zumo). The Zumo is great on the bike, and I do sometimes use it in the car (with speaker mount).

I actually came here to search/recall if there's a quick way to get waypoints from MapSource into Mobile XT without re-entering them as contacts or converting them into POIs...