Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 141920212223242526 LastLast
    Bump - is anyone else seeing a DBcache issue with the 5.x version?
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    I think I might have resolved the DBcache issue for me, by increasing the flush setting of Reset Doctor from the 9MB I had to 12MB. Perhaps version 5.x uses more memory than 4.x.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I think I might have resolved the DBcache issue for me, by increasing the flush setting of Reset Doctor from the 9MB I had to 12MB. Perhaps version 5.x uses more memory than 4.x.
    I suppose it depends on how much you have to start with.

I've not seen a DBcache problem.

My 680 has a cut down ROM which means MemInfo reports a total of 32mb, and after a ResetDoc flush, which is set at 14mb, I have 29mb free.

From what I've seen v5.xx.xx takes 10mb.

On the other hand, my 650, with a custom ROM, has 14mb total, 13 mb free and I set ResetDoc to clear at 10mb. V4.xx.xx works fine on that, but I feel that v5.xx.xx might be too much for it?

So how much total/free does the Centro have?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  4.    #464  
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Bump - is anyone else seeing a DBcache issue with the 5.x version?
    I think that happened to me once, that's all. Sprint Treo 755p.
    I use reset doctor to reset the dbcache so it usually does it before Mobile XT fully loads and it works fine from there. Sometimes while clearing it on exit it crashes into a soft reset but not all the time.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I use reset doctor to reset the dbcache so it usually does it before Mobile XT fully loads and it works fine from there. Sometimes while clearing it on exit it crashes into a soft reset but not all the time.
    Try Off Flush set it to 100% , fast , only on power button works great never a db cache problem.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    I have my Reset Doctor set to do a full cache clear at 6MB and haven't seen the DB Cache problem on either my 755p or Centro yet, although I haven't used v5.x much yet.

That Off Flush sounds intriguing. I'll have to check it out.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Interesting development with v5 on my 680 tonight. It was running fine in "View Map" mode (i.e. it wasn't guiding me somewhere), and the Treo's phone rang. When I hit the green button, the whole phone went through a warm reset. That never happened to me on v4.

Since it's only happened once, I don't know if it's the norm or a fluke.
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
    Interesting development with v5 on my 680 tonight. It was running fine in "View Map" mode (i.e. it wasn't guiding me somewhere), and the Treo's phone rang. When I hit the green button, the whole phone went through a warm reset. That never happened to me on v4.

Since it's only happened once, I don't know if it's the norm or a fluke.
    It could be that your 680 was at a low level of DBcache when you started MobileXT, and then when the phone app launched it caused the crash as the DBcache was too low.

Out of interest, I assume your 680 did a normal Reset, not a Warm Reset which puts the Palm into Safe mode and needs another Reset before normal operation can be resumed
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    Try Off Flush set it to 100% , fast , only on power button works great never a db cache problem.
    Thanks, that is a great program. It's quicker than reset doc and much more convient!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    It could be that your 680 was at a low level of DBcache when you started MobileXT, and then when the phone app launched it caused the crash as the DBcache was too low.

Out of interest, I assume your 680 did a normal Reset, not a Warm Reset which puts the Palm into Safe mode and needs another Reset before normal operation can be resumed
    Yes, true: a normal reset. And the phone rang while running MobileXT today, and everything was fine.

Would this "Off Flush" program be a good thing for me to try? I hate adding any "automatic" apps, since my 680 is really stable (except for above) right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
    Yes, true: a normal reset. And the phone rang while running MobileXT today, and everything was fine.

Would this "Off Flush" program be a good thing for me to try? I hate adding any "automatic" apps, since my 680 is really stable (except for above) right now.
    I've been aware of Off Flush but have not used it myself.

One worry with it is that it slows down the Palm when it flushes when you turn off, and knowing that sometimes my Treo may not turn off when I think it has, is a worry that I'd rather do without.

It sounds like you tend to avoid risky apps, in which case I should bring this to your attention, from the "home" of Off Flush, 1SCR:

Off Flush with option to flush only with button off OffFlush v2.0
    **Update** This is the newest Off Flush v2.0 - there have been some requests for it because it's less dangerous and faster than the original versions.

This is a stable version of Off Flush that has the check box to enable the program to flush the cache only when you use a button to turn off the pda, if your cache is also below the limit that is set. This ensures that the cache will not flush with auto off and possibly interupt a process.

The button used to turn off the pda does not have to be the power button. It can also be a hard button that has been mapped to power off. It has not been tested with "turn off" apps.

**Other users have reported some issues with Off Flush and this app is no longer supported by the developer. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK**
    PS I added the Red to highlight it.

Off Flush may well work very well, but if you avoid the 99% stable ResetDoc, then I'd totally avoid Off Flush, especially if it's developer is not supporting it
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Off Flush may well work very well, but if you avoid the 99% stable ResetDoc, then I'd totally avoid Off Flush, especially if it's developer is not supporting it
    Hmmm. Thanks much for that info. Guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen too often.
    I haven't seen db cache problems on a t680, but i use a stripped custom rom with 34Mb available.

A free dbcache cleaner is "Flush-it"
    http://miska.borec.cz/index.en.php
    I'm new to the Garmin switching from TT6 but my setup is not standard. I downloaded XT 5 from Garmin and installed on my 755p by means of a card reader. I also bought City Navigator 2008 for my Garmin 296 but found the street use of that unit not as good as TT6 and XT 5 seems better than the 296 also. I am using my own card (4GB).

Someone on this list mentioned the use of the map tool to install the maps on the device, is that the tool that came with the maps (Map Source)? The XT program on my 755p tries to connect to Garmin to validate my product key (I used the one from City Navigator) but says it can't find the server. I verified the network connection is good.

Any ideas? Am I trying to do something that is not supported? I will contact Garmin but when it comes to Treos, this list is the way to go.
  16.    #476  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Well, I am extremely disappointed. The GPS "shutting down" issue is still present. It's not cool (or safe) to have to pull the battery out while driving at 75mph. I was practically praying that the issue was something in 4.X that was screwing up data sent to the device, OR SOMETHING.*sigh*
    Update: You're right Mike, the problem is still there. For me at least, XT rarely "crashes" the GPS unit any more, whereas under 4.X it crashed the unit frequently. Still, under 5.X, sometimes I get a lot of "lost satellite connection" announcements. Sometimes I get none. When it does disconnect, have to wait a while before it re-connects. It eventually does if I wait long enough, but if I need a location fix quickly, I can "cheat" by pulling the battery out - as Mike says, not recommended practice!

One thing I noticed is that disconnects happen a lot more frequently in urban areas and when I have Garmin Online traffic data enabled. If I'm in rural areas without many roads or any traffic information to process, I rarely get a disconnect. Sometimes if I'm in a rural area and drive into a city, right away I'll get a disconnect. So the disconnects seem to have something to do with the amount of processor time that Mobile XT is using - as though Mobile XT isn't "minding the store" (the Bluetooth connection) when doing heavy duty processing. Just a guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Still, under 5.X, sometimes I get a lot of "lost satellite connection" announcements. Sometimes I get none. When it does disconnect, have to wait a while before it re-connects. It eventually does if I wait long enough, but if I need a location fix quickly, I can "cheat" by pulling the battery out - as Mike says, not recommended practice!
    Interesting. So am I. I never had the problems with v4 that you guys had -- mine never ever crashed once and only lost satellites once. With v5, I have no crashes (other than the one I reported above), but get frequent "lost satellite" problems. I usually shut the program down and re-start it, but even then it takes a while before I'm back.
  18.    #478  
    Hmmm... mine sometimes seems to lose the connection completely when I soft reset the system, to the point that I do need to do the three-handed battery removal / driving shuffle.

As they say, "the technology works well.. but it doesn't work perfectly..."
    Gave up on Garmin for good ... doesn't seem to work well with 680.

Went through Hell and Back at least 6x and spent too much time & money to get it running. It's way too slow no matter what GPS reciever I use, SDHC Cards and etc.

Back to TomTom for me! I'll use Garmin when i'm stuck somewhere that TomTom's maps don;t show the type of roads or area.

It's too bad ... Garmin on Nokia N95 runs so smooth and nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
    Back to TomTom for me! I'll use Garmin when i'm stuck somewhere that TomTom's maps don;t show the type of roads or area.
    ...but TTN's maps are now more than obsolete... ...and Garmin is a huge memory hogs so that I cannot really even install it on my Treo 650!
    Ciao,
    Giangi