Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526 LastLast
    Palm OEM Reciever kit it is.

LOL watch Garmin does come out with the update right after i get this reciever
    Palm OEM Reciever is made by HOLUX! WTF is up with that?

They both use the SAME battery too!
    FYI, I received word from Ted at Garmin that the new release is out! I'll be downloading and installing tonight!

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/do...=138&pID=11413
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Wow, the UI is a *lot* different... I like it. Added Garmin Online features. Some nice new changes (Where Am I? has buttons for closest hospital, police station and fuel). But I still can't import a route successfully... Otherwise seems to work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
    Palm OEM Reciever kit it is.

LOL watch Garmin does come out with the update right after i get this reciever
    Well had a feeling this would happen, thanks mikepikefl for the headsup. Gonna try this new ver tonight on both of my receivers and see if it works on the Holux M1000. I hope they fixed the NMEA sorting.
    So far, I like the new version a lot -- especially the Google Local tie-in (sweet!).
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Well had a feeling this would happen, thanks mikepikefl for the headsup. Gonna try this new ver tonight on both of my receivers and see if it works on the Holux M1000. I hope they fixed the NMEA sorting.
    Please tell me I'm doing something wrong and it's working for you, cause to me it's still not working, but I've messed with so many variables I'd have to do a backup and a hard reset to be 100% sure...I don't understand why the Windows Mobile version never had this problem to begin with...
    Gave the new Garmin a test run ...

Holux M1000 still doesn't work well, NMEA not sorted.

Palm OEM GPS Receiver is still a tad slow .... not as fast and smooth as TomTom

What setup does you guy have? Maybe I'm doing something wrong here.

Here's mine

Treo 680 + Palm OEM GPS Reciever
    SD Card A) 1GB or B) 2GB formatted at Fat32k @ 16k
    Map 3D mode, not fully zoomed in, *zoomed out 3x on “-“
    Auto Zoom - Disabled
    Dim Small Street - Disabled
    Quote Originally Posted by fgjruiz View Post
    Please tell me I'm doing something wrong and it's working for you, cause to me it's still not working, but I've messed with so many variables I'd have to do a backup and a hard reset to be 100% sure...I don't understand why the Windows Mobile version never had this problem to begin with...
    Not your fault, it still doesn't work. I assume your using the Holux M1000?
  10.    #450  
    Wow, 450 posts and 54,000 views of this thread. Who wulda thunkit?

It had been almost a year since the last update. I had begun to think that Garmin had cast this product line adrift. Some observations in addition to what has already been said:

1. The connection to the GPS (Garmin GPS 10x in my case) and location determination is MUCH faster.
    2. So far, no “crashes” of the GPS 10x where it wouldn’t communicate with the Treo and wouldn’t even respond to its own power button. This was a big problem with the previous version of Mobile XT as previously discussed in this thread.
    3. The display and interface overall is noticeably slicker. Also, the virtual buttons are more self-explanatory.
    4. Map redraws (e.g. when changing scale) are noticeably faster.
    5. The smaller numerical data fields on the display leaves more room for map area. I still wish there was the option to select data fields (e.g. distance to destination or time to destination vs. time of arrival).
    6. The ability to choose your “vehicle” is cute but I can’t figure out how to install the additional vehicles at garmin.com/vehicles.
    Your whole list is pretty cool, but THANK GOD for the item below:
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    1. So far, no “crashes” of the GPS 10x where it wouldn’t communicate with the Treo and wouldn’t even respond to its own power button. This was a big problem with the previous version of Mobile XT as previously discussed in this thread.
    I have it installed, haven't had a chance to link up with my GPS 10x yet to either "activate" the software or play with it...

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Not your fault, it still doesn't work. I assume your using the Holux M1000?

Yup, it's us two Holux M1000 users...you know what was a step in the right direction? It actually let go of the Treo and gave up on communicating and I was able to look at all the new cool options without all the restarts. I'm jealous of all the other GPS owners!

So who made you aware it was the NMEA sorting that's at fault? I'll have to read up and see if there's a way we can get around it...
    Quote Originally Posted by fgjruiz View Post
    Yup, it's us two Holux M1000 users...you know what was a step in the right direction? It actually let go of the Treo and gave up on communicating and I was able to look at all the new cool options without all the restarts. I'm jealous of all the other GPS owners!

So who made you aware it was the NMEA sorting that's at fault? I'll have to read up and see if there's a way we can get around it...
    ChasT figured it out a long time ago ... afew pages back

""Provide additional error checking to detect corrupted NMEA input from third party GPS receivers. "
    I've updated to the new version and given it a quick try out.

Generally I'd go along with the points bobodobo made.

I like the new location of the "Next Turn/Speak" button, top left.

The extra on-line features are handy on a Treo, which can take advantage via the GSM/phone data network.

I really like the Google Local addition, my Treo now has better features than my Garmin Nuvi As I see it, this feature means you don't need to worry about the built-in POI's getting out of date if you do not update the maps, as Google will find the local features for you

I've not had a problem adding a new vehicle. I had the Garmin motorbike file which I had download a while back and use on the Nuvi. I just copied it into the Vehicle folder on my card, and it was available to select from within Mobile XT.

I've not worked out how the "Show Speed Limit" works yet, what does it show?

Flight status is neat. Don't expect I'll use it much, but you never know.

I can't get any Panoramio Photos yet, perhaps they are a US thing
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Upgrade paths.

I suppose I should ask Ted at Garmin about this, but I'd be interested if anyone here knows the answers. If not I'm email Ted.

Firstly, this new version 5 is not suitable for the Palm TX?
    If you checkout the web page below it says version 4 is for older devices. If you click through on the version 4 link it lists LifeDrive & T/X as well as Treo's and Centro, whereas version 5 only lists Treo's and Centro?

http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=010-00579-00

Secondly, there are two types of version 5, as there were before with version 4.xx.xx.

Garmin Mobile XT for Palm software version 5.00.10p
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=4339
    &
    Garmin Mobile XT for Palm OS with GPS10x software version 5.00.10p
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3913

Both files are the same size, but have slightly different names.

Are they identical, or are there differences which might be useful for Holux users?

I use the old GPS10 (Que) BT unit, so I'm using the first Version 5 file above, as I assume that the GPS10x version is for the newer Garmin BT unit, the Mobile XT 10 variation?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Upgrade paths.

I suppose I should ask Ted at Garmin about this, but I'd be interested if anyone here knows the answers. If not I'm email Ted. ... Secondly, there are two types of version 5, as there were before with version 4.xx.xx.

Garmin Mobile XT for Palm software version 5.00.10p & Garmin Mobile XT for Palm OS with GPS10x software version 5.00.10p ...

Both files are the same size, but have slightly different names.

Are they identical, or are there differences which might be useful for Holux users?
    Good questions! I use the GPS 10x, and I think I just installed the first one. It might be best to ask Ted!

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  17.    #457  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I've not had a problem adding a new vehicle. I had the Garmin motorbike file which I had download a while back and use on the Nuvi. I just copied it into the Vehicle folder on my card, and it was available to select from within Mobile XT.
    Chas, that was too simple for me! (But it works, so begrudgingly I'll accept it, thanks for the tip.)
    Well, I am extremely disappointed.

The GPS "shutting down" issue is still present. It's not cool (or safe) to have to pull the battery out while driving at 75mph. I was practically praying that the issue was something in 4.X that was screwing up data sent to the device, OR SOMETHING.

This version also brings back the "not enough DBcache" errors I saw constantly with the Treo 650. With version 4.X on my Treo 755P I rarely saw this. With version 5.X I'm getting it almost every time and have to soft reset before running it.

I will say that the new interface, vehicle icons, and Google integration is pretty sweet.

One interface gripe- they changed the order of some of the menus- I use the numerical shortcuts extensively, and I had sequences memorized. Not only did they change the sequences, but they removed the little number shortcuts from random menu items (and added them to others, like the zoom controls) so I have to count the menu items to use the shortcut.

*sigh*

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Well, I am extremely disappointed.

This version also brings back the "not enough DBcache" errors I saw constantly with the Treo 650. With version 4.X on my Treo 755P I rarely saw this. With version 5.X I'm getting it almost every time and have to soft reset before running it.

*sigh*
    I am also experiencing the DBcache errors consistently with this version as well, whereas with 4.x on my Centro it worked fine. Has anyone else experienced this, and perhaps whoever has Ted's contact information can ping him about this bug.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Oh man ... This is nut! I haven't used the ver much, b/c I find it slow still. It's too bad these bugs are on & etc, I hope they will come out with an update soon to fix them.

Still got give a lot of respects to garmin in regards of keep their promise about our update