Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223242526 LastLast
    Given I had so much extra space to begin with on my 8GB card, I didn't take note of space savings... I just knew that if I used 32K, it would obviously save me some MB's in the end.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Given I had so much extra space to begin with on my 8GB card, I didn't take note of space savings... I just knew that if I used 32K, it would obviously save me some MB's in the end.
    It's actually the opposite, because 32K is the smallest unit that you can save information in. So hypothetically let's say you wrote 1bit to the disk... it would use up 32K. You write another separate 1 bit file... another 32K gone. Or a more realistic example- you have a 33K file... you use up 2 allocation units, 64K.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Doh! That makes sense -- thanks for the correction.

I moved back to 16K, and all is well running Garmin XT. I also ended up hard-resetting my Centro, to eliminate the occasional soft-resets upon existing Garmin XT. I think the culprit was Good, which I wasn't using anymore anyhow.
    Has anyone using Garmin Mobile XT on their Centro have reset problems when exiting the application? Here's the behavior I'm experiencing, every once in a while:
    - run Garmin Mobile XT fine
    - exit Gamin Mobile XT fine
    - minute later, the phone resets by itself

SafeGuard doesn't give me any insight, and this is happening with no other 3rd party apps installed.
    Has anyone using Garmin Mobile XT on their Centro have reset problems when exiting the application? Here's the behavior I'm experiencing, every once in a while:
    - run Garmin Mobile XT fine
    - exit Gamin Mobile XT fine
    - minute later, the phone resets by itself

SafeGuard doesn't give me any insight, and this is happening with no other 3rd party apps installed.
    That sounds like a problem with the DBCache not being flushed correctly on exit.

Reset Doctor can be used to automatically flush on exit, if the level is below a level set by you.

Give it a go in demo mode, and then if it helps buy it

http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/reset-doctor-more.php
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    FWIW category - the Mobile 10/10x and Nuvi/Zumo/StreetPilot series share the same USB connector/cable, in part used for charging (and data interface of course). So if you, like me, have an iGo charging system, you can purchase power tip A53 for the Nuvi/Zumo/StreetPilot, and it works fine charging the 10/10x. One less charger to carry on trips...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    That sounds like a problem with the DBCache not being flushed correctly on exit.

Reset Doctor can be used to automatically flush on exit, if the level is below a level set by you.

Give it a go in demo mode, and then if it helps buy it

http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/reset-doctor-more.php
    Yeah, I've already been playing with that a little, to see if it helps. I'm hoping that this will remedy the issue.
    I've fixed my own problem, in terms of my Centro usually resetting after I exited Gamin Mobile XT, as well as fine tuned the settings for maximum performance.

Given that Reset Doctor didn't resolve the issue by flushing the DBCache, I suspected that one or some of my 3rd party apps that was running in the background was not playing nicely with Mobile XT. So I installed SafeGuard, and identified which apps were running in the background. Next, instead of quarantining the apps (since I need all of them anyhow), I installed Resco Locker, and tried to see if I locked all of those apps down, would that fix it. Bingo! No more resets.

Then, to maximize performance during routing and re-routing while driving, I installed Lightspeed 3.1 and set the app to run at my default high speed of 221 x 2.5 = 552. Now the navigation feels as snappy as my Nuvi 370. I even ran both in my car, to see if there was any noticiable lag or difference between the two devices -- zilch!

Sweet. :-)
    Updates & Downloads
    Garmin Mobile XT Navigation for Smartphones

Unit Software
    Garmin Mobile XT for Palm OS, Ver. 4.10.30p, as of Nov 14, 2007, Download
    Garmin Mobile XT for Symbian S60, Ver. 4.20.00, as of Jun 17, 2008, Download
    Garmin Mobile XT for Symbian UIQ3.0, Ver. 4.10.80, as of Mar 12, 2008, Download
    Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile, Ver. 4.20.50w, as of Apr 29, 2008, Download

Every other platform got an update ... still Palm gets nothing since Nov 14, 2007!
    ... So I installed SafeGuard, and identified which apps were running in the background. Next, instead of quarantining the apps (since I need all of them anyhow), I installed Resco Locker, and tried to see if I locked all of those apps down, would that fix it. Bingo! No more resets.

Sweet. :-)
    What apps were giving problems while they were unlocked. It might help others reading this thread
    Thought of the day :
    What apps were giving problems while they were unlocked. It might help others reading this thread
    I'm not sure which one or ones were the culprit, as I ended up locking all of them down at the same time, but here's what I have running in the background which I locked via Resco Locker:

Mobile XT
    PhoneDisconnect
    Reset Doctor
    ClockPop5
    LudusP
    SEVEN
    TAC (Treo Area Codes)

Btw, I still ended up having to keep Reset Doctor set to flush my Cache periodically to prevent resets, in concert with locking down my background apps. Having just one or the other didn't resolve the problem, but both did.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I just purchased a Freedom 2000 keychain BT GPS receiver. I've read posts on this thread where it works fine with the Palm Treo and Mobile XT, but I can't get mine to connect. I can connect via the Palm BT app, and add the Freedom as a trusted device (passcode 0000), so the BT part seems to work ok.

But Mobile XT (4.10.30p) on my Treo 680 can't locate the Freedom. I have been using Garmin's Mobile 10x BT receiver without any problems. I wrote Freedom and their reply was; "There is a version of the Garmin Mobile XT software that is locked to only work with their own bluetooth device. You will need to check with Garmin to get the latest software update to resolve this." Garmin's support came back with; "Our Mobile XT software is only tested with Garmin receivers. It does work with most third party GPS receivers but we are unable to offer support when it does not."

Any ideas? I much prefer the convenience of the Freedom 2000 vs. the Garmin Mobile 10x receiver, and my Mobile 10x died again recently...
    Last edited by DougM38; 09/03/2008 at 12:57 PM.
    There are two versions of Mobile XT -- one that comes locked with their 10x BT receiver, and one that works with most 3rd party BT receivers, locked on a SD card. You need the latter.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info.

That bites. I do recall reading about that, probably in this thread somewhere. That's ridiculous to have to spend another US$99 for the ability to work with a 3rd party receiver, when I've already purchased the Mobile XT s/w and maps when I bought the Mobile 10x package. But I guess that's Garmin for you (as much as I like their products)...
    Perhaps that is why there's so many hacks posted on the web, on how to bypass the locks. But you won't find them posted here, given that falls outside the scope of this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougM38 View Post
    Any ideas? I much prefer the convenience of the Freedom 2000 vs. the Garmin Mobile 10x receiver, and my Mobile 10x died again recently...
    Hi Doug

Having read you post a few times I think I can see what's happening, but just to cover all the bases ...

The original Garmin software used the hardware BT unit as copy protection, so if you are trying to use the Freedom unit with that software, it should find the BT unit OK, but you would find that you detailed maps were not unlocked.

Now there are two ways for unlocking maps from Garmin. Firstly the old hardware BT way, and secondly via unlock codes on your SD card.

If you are using the second way, having bought the Garmin SD card, then you should not have a problem.

I'm now in this second camp, and have found in the past that if I use my Garmin BT unit and then later on try with my Holux BT unit, MobileXT can't see the Holux BT unit. I think it also works the other way around, IE if I use the Holux first after a re-install.

The solution is to use a file program such as FileZ or FileProg (my favourite), and delete from RAM all the files called XTGARMIN.NVM, XTGARMIN_***.NVM etc. I've got 8 files, but you may have more, or less, depending how many features, such as routes etc, that you have used.

It would pay to back up these files onto a tmp directory on your SD card as a precaution, but in normal use MobileXT should re-build these files if they are missing at start-up. You will lose your old settings and saved locations, but it should then "see" your Freedom BT unit. It will not get around any unlocking issues.

Just to confuse matters a bit more, as headcase says, there are two different flavours of MobileXT, which depend on what BT unit Garmin may have supplied originally, or not as the case may be.

Both these versions can be downloaded FOC from Garmin, if this is your problem, but try the .NVM solution first if you think I've read your problem correctly.

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Thanks headcase and Chas. The problem indeed is that I purchased the GPS10X receiver, which "includes" Mobile XT that is locked to that particular receiver (my Mobile XT cannot locate the Freedom receiver). It's really a licensing issue, and I guess I thought that when I paid US$199 for the Mobile GPS10X it broke down to ~US$100 for the BT receiver itself and ~US$99 for Mobile XT/maps... But it looks like I'd need to spend another US$99 for Mobile XT locked to an SD card to be able to connect to a 3rd party receiver.

Ted at Garmin confirmed this in a reply to me this morning: "Very sorry for the inconvenience. We are currently working on an online system that will allow you to purchase just the software unlock code over the internet so that you may use it with any SD card you so desire. That such system may be a while before it actually becomes published unfortunately. The only way to get this Freedom BT receiver to work with our software is to purchase the Mobile XT product that contains a Garmin pre-programmed SD card with the software unlock."

I can understand that Garmin has to lock the s/w and maps to something, otherwise everyone would buy the cheaper 3rd party GPS receivers and use Mobile XT and maps for free. But I did purchase the Garmin products (GPS10X receiver and Mobile XT/maps), and I feel I should be able to use another (more convenient and hopefully more reliable) 3rd party receiver instead--I would still be using this on just one Palm device. I'll do some searching for those hacks... Thanks again.
    Hi Doug

Having read you post a few times I think I can see what's happening, but just to cover all the bases ...

The original Garmin software used the hardware BT unit as copy protection, so if you are trying to use the Freedom unit with that software, it should find the BT unit OK, but you would find that you detailed maps were not unlocked.

Now there are two ways for unlocking maps from Garmin. Firstly the old hardware BT way, and secondly via unlock codes on your SD card.

If you are using the second way, having bought the Garmin SD card, then you should not have a problem.

I'm now in this second camp, and have found in the past that if I use my Garmin BT unit and then later on try with my Holux BT unit, MobileXT can't see the Holux BT unit. I think it also works the other way around, IE if I use the Holux first after a re-install.

The solution is to use a file program such as FileZ or FileProg (my favourite), and delete from RAM all the files called XTGARMIN.NVM, XTGARMIN_***.NVM etc. I've got 8 files, but you may have more, or less, depending how many features, such as routes etc, that you have used.

It would pay to back up these files onto a tmp directory on your SD card as a precaution, but in normal use MobileXT should re-build these files if they are missing at start-up. You will lose your old settings and saved locations, but it should then "see" your Freedom BT unit. It will not get around any unlocking issues.

Just to confuse matters a bit more, as headcase says, there are two different flavours of MobileXT, which depend on what BT unit Garmin may have supplied originally, or not as the case may be.

Both these versions can be downloaded FOC from Garmin, if this is your problem, but try the .NVM solution first if you think I've read your problem correctly.

Chas
    So did you get your Holuxm1000 to work? I heard about deleting the 8 NVM files ... but didn't work for me. My GPS connects and works, but it would still be slow.

I'm so close on buying the Freedom or the Palm OEM reciver, just to get updated maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
    So did you get your Holuxm1000 to work? I heard about deleting the 8 NVM files ... but didn't work for me. My GPS connects and works, but it would still be slow.

I'm so close on buying the Freedom or the Palm OEM reciver, just to get updated maps.
    No joy with the M1000, it's sitting on my desk waiting for Garmin to update the software
    Thought of the day :
    No joy with the M1000, it's sitting on my desk waiting for Garmin to update the software
    Me too ....

Hoenstly though, I doubt they will update their software for this problem. Every other OS got a few updates and Palm has seen sh*t all.

I'll know by sunday what reciever I'm gonna get, Palm or Freedom. I know the Freedom is much better, but might get a really cheap Palm reciever from a buddy.