Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
    when the Treo680 screen turns off, the BT connection drops.
    How can i prevent this behaviour?
    Only way i found is to leave the screen allways on.

instead of a GPS assisting me, i have to continuosly assist my gps!
    that is a "feature" of your Garmin Mobile XT software!! Best thing you can do is call up or email Garmin support and ask them to remove this "feature" or make an option for those of us annoyed by it.

The only workaround I'm aware of is to let the Treo turn off the screen by itself (timeout). Garmin keeps on running in that case. There are a number of programs out there that will give you better control over screen timeouts and they are compatible with Garmin. The one I use is Profile Care.

Quote Originally Posted by randallwise View Post
    The last three times I've used my Mobile 10 it's been routing like a crazy person! Example; I routed to a small town about 90 miles down the highway, right on the highway. When I was about 30 miles away, it kept telling me to get off on these small county roads instead of staying right on the direct highway.

Another example; I was driving through Montana and it told me to get off on some middle-of-nowhere exit and then right back on (I didn't get off, BTW).

It seems it just keeps telling me to take surface roads wherever I go and I don't get it.

RSW
    Funny, this happened to me once in rush-hour traffic jam in Chicagoland. It kept having me exit at every exit on the highway but then it would tell me to go straight ahead back onto the highway. I thought it was going to route me around the jam. But what it did didn't help me get there any faster as far as I can tell. Just ignored it and let it "recalculate" every time once I caught onto what it was doing.

Another thing, I drove from Ohio through Indiana and on into Chicago and as soon as I got into Chicago I "lost satellite reception" -- that was 4 hours of driving then boom! Hmmm... No more problems until I was leaving town and in just about the same area, "lost" it again. I was not under a bridge or anything at the time. But it was fine for the rest of the 4 hr trip home.

I've updated to the latest firmware through Garmin. Are the rest of you using the GPS 10x Software v2.20/BT v2.60 as am I?

At the time I didn't have my GPS unit explicitly paired with my phone. I have now explicitly set it up as a device using the "1234" password. We'll see if that makes a difference from here on out. Thanks for the tip!

Mike

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Well I just spoke to Ted at Garmin and he said that they are expecting a new release for the Palm version of MobileXT as well, so that's good news. No time line, but still good to hear.

He's checking on a new BT firmware for the GPS10X, but said he isn't aware of one newer than 2.60 (which is what I upgraded to and saw more crashes).

I just got a 755P so once my new memory card arrives I'll be testing the heck out of MobileXT. Hopefully the new device will see less problems for various reasons (more available memory, better BT radio, plus I'm running less "hack" software to change device behavior, etc).

FWIW Ted also pointed me to this press release which they are fairly excited about:
    http://www8.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/021108.html

~Mike
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Well I just spoke to Ted at Garmin and he said that they are expecting a new release for the Palm version of MobileXT as well, so that's good news.
    ~Mike
    Thanks for sharing that with us. Great news that Palm OS is not dead with Garmin
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Exciting news, indeed. I haven't used that Google service yet, but it really sounds like a worthy addition. No wonder we haven't had an update in some time!

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I've just switched over to Garmin from TomTom, I've noticed it's SUPER SLOW!!!

For example, I've made it to the stop sign and I look over to Garmin, it's still catching up to where I am. It takes about 2 secs to catch up, many times I've driving and I make a turn or something, it's so slow that it just skips the turn.

What do I need to do, to get Garmin running smoothly? I've tried a normal 2GB card at the format listed below and a new SanDisk 4GB SDHC Class 4 card

Here are my specs

Treo 680
    Garmin Mobile TX ver 10 - 4 10 30p
    SDHC 4GB Class 4 (Formated with FAT32 @ 16k - Format code format x: /fs:fat32 /a:16k)
    Map - Ontario Canada (40 MBs)
    GPS RECEIVER - Holux M1000

Any help will do, pls and thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
    I've just switched over to Garmin from TomTom, I've noticed it's SUPER SLOW!!!

GPS RECEIVER - Holux M1000

Any help will do, pls and thank you
    I think your problem maybe the Holux ?

I use a Garmin BT unit and have no problem.

However I bought a Holux M1200 and had the same problems as you. I bought it as they are cheap and the specs are very good.

If you go to the GPS details section, does it report you are moving, even though you are standing still. Mine did. Whereas the Garmin unit said 0mph at 0mph, if you understand.

I have noticed that on the Windows Mobile, and other non Palm, latest versions, one of the improvements is :-
    "Provide additional error checking to detect corrupted NMEA input from third party GPS receivers. "
    So perhaps this is the problem, and we can only hope Garmin bring this improvement to the next Palm version ?

BTW, check out my posts #375 & #400 for mention of this problem already.
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I think your problem maybe the Holux ?

I use a Garmin BT unit and have no problem.

However I bought a Holux M1200 and had the same problems as you. I bought it as they are cheap and the specs are very good.

If you go to the GPS details section, does it report you are moving, even though you are standing still. Mine did. Whereas the Garmin unit said 0mph at 0mph, if you understand.

I have noticed that on the Windows Mobile, and other non Palm, latest versions, one of the improvements is :-

So perhaps this is the problem, and we can only hope Garmin bring this improvement to the next Palm version ?

BTW, check out my posts #375 & #400 for mention of this problem already.
    I was fearing the problem was with my Holux ... I hope Garmin comes out with this fix, since the WM got one a long time ago.

I got 0mph at 0mph in my detail section.

BTW what's the diff of the M1000 and 236 units?

Found this and this dude claims it works ... but the 236 unit only picks up 20 channels.

https://discussion.buygpsnow.com/forums/t/1756.aspx
    Last edited by E2EK1EL; 06/18/2008 at 03:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Did a search, couldn't find anything... has anyone been able to successfully download routes created in MapSource to the Palm/Mobile XT? I can download waypoints ok--MapSource creates a userdata.gpx file that I rename to current.gpx in Garmin/gpx on the SD card, and then import into Mobile XT from Manage My Data -> Import. The waypoints are stored under My Locations.

But when I create a route in MapSource, it also imports into Mobile XT without errors (after changing the filename to current.gpx), but no routes show up under Saved Routes. If I import that same gpx file back into a new instance of MapSource, the routes show up there ok, so they seem to be formatted in the gpx file ok.

Any ideas? I really like creating routes in MapSource on the PC much better than on the Palm--much easier to see the routes, edit the routes, and make screen shots to share the routes with others (like for a long motorcycle trip). But I can't get them downloaded into Mobile XT, and it's a pain to recreate them on the Palm...

Oh, I'm running the latest version of MapSource (6.13.7) for the PC and Mobile XT for my Palm 680 (4.10.30p).
    Hi Doug

Like you, I've been importing waypoints by renaming the .gpx file and then Importing it.

I did try importing a Route, but like you found that it did not work. I'd not taken it further as I did not use routes at that time.

However I'm starting to use them, for motorcycling too

Perhaps the next step is to produce a route on the Palm and then Export it. Then check to see if Mapsource will load it OK on the PC?

If it does, the next step would be to "inspect" the Palm produced .gpx file to see what the differences are, and then modify a PC produced .gpx file.

I'm working at the moment, but will have a play asap.

Report back if you make progress

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    OK, I've found the problem with Routes, MobileXT can't import routes, not even it's own produced ones !!

I created a route in MobileXT and exported my data to the normal current.gpx file.

I then loaded this file into Mapsource on my PC. The route and all the waypoints were there. Success.

I then deleted the route from within MobileXT, and then Imported my current.gpx file, that contained the original route. Still no route in MobileXT.

Conclusion, MobileXT can not import routes via the Importing of .gpx files.

Now there may be another way, but I've not found it yet ...
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    OK, I've found the problem with Routes, MobileXT can't import routes, not even it's own produced ones !!
    Conclusion, MobileXT can not import routes via the Importing of .gpx files.
    I don't know much about the issue, but Ted at Garmin has always been helpful when I had issues.

If you contact him he may either be able to point you in the right direction on how to solve or work around the issue, or be receptive to a bug report / feature request!

His email is listed throughout this thread.

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Ok, received this reply from Ted at Garmin. Bad news is that routes can't be downloaded from MapSource/GPX to Mobile XT. Good news is they may fix it at some future release. Here's Ted's full reply (I had also asked if they could incorporate map scrolling into View Map, such as with Browse Map... my iQue did this...):

-------------------------------

Doug,

Thank you for your correspondence; Yes this is a known issue. Mobile XT for Palm can ‘export’ routes to the GPX file but currently it cannot ‘import’ saved routes from the GPX file. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. I investigated a possible work around solution, but was unable to locate one. I will move this issue along to my superiors for further examination.

Also, referring to the ability to move around the ‘view map’; yes you are correct that moving or panning around this view/navigation map is currently not possible. We have mapped the up and down buttons to zoom in and zoom out. Also in a future release we will be having functionality of the left and right buttons to change the highlight on certain fields. A possible solution might be to press the ‘center’ key on the 5 way button navigator when viewing the map, it will launch the browse map (which might help in faster moving around the map).

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns

Thank you for your email!

Warmest Regards,
    Ted
    www.Garmin.com

-------------------------------
    I hope the next Palm update will allow 3rd party gps receivers to work 100% w/ Garmin ... pls come out soon.
    After a longtime user of Garmin Nuvis (but often forgetting to bring it along when I travel) I recently purchased a copy of Garmin XT for my Centro, as well as the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000. Some takeaways:

- I like the additional functionality of gas prices and traffic on the Garmin XT. I was never interested in paying a monthly or annual subscription fee for such functionality with my Nuvi, and it's nice to have it for free in Garmin XT.

- I used the instructions widely available to move the Gamin XT software & maps from the 2GB card it ships with, to a SanDisk 8GB MicroSD card. Plenty of room left for my music, etc.

- Obviously, the GPS stand-alones like the Nuvi are faster at route calculations than my Centro, but I did some things to improve the lag I was experiencing on my Centro:
    1) I made sure to use a Class 4 card, as opposed to a slower Class 2 card. Interestingly enough, the larger 8GB MicroSD card from SanDisk is Class 4, while the 6GB and 4GB versions come in the slower Class 4 format. (there are some competitors manufacturing even faster Class 6 4GB MicroSD cards, but I found Class 4 "good enough" for Garmin XT, without giving up 4GB of card space).

2) I reformatted in FAT32 with 16K. Using a card reader, I simply moved all the Garmin folders from my 8GB card to a folder on my PC. Then I reformatted the card with the DOS command format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:16K
    where "X" is the letter of your drive

The I simply dragged all the folders back to the card, and plopped the card back into my Centro. Once I did that, what a difference in speed. No more lags.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    After a longtime user of Garmin Nuvis (but often forgetting to bring it along when I travel) I recently purchased a copy of Garmin XT for my Centro, as well as the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000. Some takeaways:

- I like the additional functionality of gas prices and traffic on the Garmin XT. I was never interested in paying a monthly or annual subscription fee for such functionality with my Nuvi, and it's nice to have it for free in Garmin XT.

- I used the instructions widely available to move the Gamin XT software & maps from the 2GB card it ships with, to a SanDisk 8GB MicroSD card. Plenty of room left for my music, etc.

- Obviously, the GPS stand-alones like the Nuvi are faster at route calculations than my Centro, but I did some things to improve the lag I was experiencing on my Centro:
    1) I made sure to use a Class 4 card, as opposed to a slower Class 2 card. Interestingly enough, the larger 8GB MicroSD card from SanDisk is Class 4, while the 6GB and 4GB versions come in the slower Class 4 format. (there are some competitors manufacturing even faster Class 6 4GB MicroSD cards, but I found Class 4 "good enough" for Garmin XT, without giving up 4GB of card space).

2) I reformatted in FAT32 with 16K. Using a card reader, I simply moved all the Garmin folders from my 8GB card to a folder on my PC. Then I reformatted the card with the DOS command format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:16K
    where "X" is the letter of your drive

The I simply dragged all the folders back to the card, and plopped the card back into my Centro. Once I did that, what a difference in speed. No more lags.

How's Garmin XT w/ the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000? Is there any delays or slowness or catch ups?
    2) I reformatted in FAT32 with 16K.
    Did you do any tests with 32k? I understand why 32k could be faster, but I'd be concerned about wasting space and with a potentially negligible improvement.

It's amazing how much a difference card class can make a difference. I just bought the cheapest 2GB microSD for my wife's Centro, and MobileXT was unusable. I thought it was the Centro until I tried my 755P's Class 4 8GB microSDHC and it worked like a dream in the same device.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
    How's Garmin XT w/ the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000? Is there any delays or slowness or catch ups?
    Like others have reviewed, the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 is fantastic -- no issues, and it locks onto the satellites very quickly. No issues with the Garmin XT software, and wow, is it small.

The only "hiccup" that seems to be a problem for most BT GPS receivers with Garmin XT, is that when you go back to the main screen of XT, it often incorrectly reports 0-1 bars satellite signal strength, whereas in fact you have full signal strength. So it's basically an XT screen refresh issue (minor bug).
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Did you do any tests with 32k? I understand why 32k could be faster, but I'd be concerned about wasting space and with a potentially negligible improvement.

It's amazing how much a difference card class can make a difference. I just bought the cheapest 2GB microSD for my wife's Centro, and MobileXT was unusable. I thought it was the Centro until I tried my 755P's Class 4 8GB microSDHC and it worked like a dream in the same device.
    I had previously been running with a standard-formatted card, which might have been in 32K. I'll try that later today, just to see if there's any difference with 16K. For clarity, I had followed the following recommendation from another thread:

Less than 4 GB (FAT16):
    2 GB SD (SanDisk) FAT16 mit 32K: format X: /FS:FAT /A:32K

4 GB and more (FAT32):
    4 GB SD or SDHC (Transcend) FAT32 mit 16K: format E: /FS:FAT32 /A:16K

"X" is the drive letter."
    OK, so I reformatted my 8GB card with format E: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K, and Garmin XT seems just as snappy on my Centro as when I formatted in 16K, so I'm going to leave it like that and see how it goes for a while.
    OK, so I reformatted my 8GB card with format E: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K, and Garmin XT seems just as snappy on my Centro as when I formatted in 16K, so I'm going to leave it like that and see how it goes for a while.
    Any noticeable difference in card free space?

--Andrew Tanenbaum