Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    I believe the GPS 10 was their previous bluetooth GPS unit. The 10x is the most recent bluetooth unit.

RicardoG
    While it's nice that Garmin has provided a software update, but not so nice that it's only available as a Windows .exe file. Being a self-extracting archive, however, I've been able to pull out all of the .prc files using the usual Stuffit Expander (treats the .exe like a .zip). Anybody know if I can just dump these files onto my Treo/SD card, or is there some funky conduit magic that has to happen through the windows version of the Palm Desktop?
    You can ignore my last post. I was confusing the year-old 4.10.30p update with the potential 4.10.60 update that ChasT mentioned last month. Move along... nothing to see here. Yet ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by madape View Post
    While it's nice that Garmin has provided a software update, but not so nice that it's only available as a Windows .exe file. Being a self-extracting archive, however, I've been able to pull out all of the .prc files using the usual Stuffit Expander (treats the .exe like a .zip). Anybody know if I can just dump these files onto my Treo/SD card, or is there some funky conduit magic that has to happen through the windows version of the Palm Desktop?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by madape View Post
    You can ignore my last post. I was confusing the year-old 4.10.30p update with the potential 4.10.60 update that ChasT mentioned last month. Move along... nothing to see here. Yet ;-)
    Yeah, whatever happened to that 4.10.60 update? Think Garmin will be putting any more updates out?
    Quote Originally Posted by DougM38 View Post
    Yeah, whatever happened to that 4.10.60 update? Think Garmin will be putting any more updates out?
    On the 26th Feb they went from version 4.10.40w to 4.20.20w, for Windows Mobile units, so there is still development going on.

Hopefully there will be a Palm version some time. Does anyone know of any changes being made to the Palm version ?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    when the Treo680 screen turns off, the BT connection drops.
    How can i prevent this behaviour?
    Only way i found is to leave the screen allways on.

instead of a GPS assisting me, i have to continuosly assist my gps!
  7.    #387  
    I recently upgraded from the GPS 10 with City Navigator maps to the GPS 10x with City Navigator NT maps. The reasons for this were (1) to get the more sensitive GPS 10x receiver (and it is indeed MUCH more sensitive, it gets a location fix in places where the GPS 10 wasn't even close to getting a fix) and (2) to get the maps that support traffic data and routing factoring in current traffic conditions. As a side bonus the map file GMAPSUPP.IMG you generate is about half the size it was with the non-NT maps for the same map coverage area.

My problem, however, is that the GPS 10x unit seems to "crash" periodically and not communicate with the Treo. The Garmin lady says "Lost satellite reception" in her authoritative tone, and then there are no satellites detected by GPS 10x unit according to the GPS info page within Mobile XT. In fact, I can't even turn the 10x off and back on again, the power button doesn't work. On average this happens once an hour or so, but the specific intervals vary a lot. The only way to restore functionality is to remove the battery from the GPS 10x unit and replace it again, and then all is fine.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or maybe my GPS 10x unit is just defective?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    I'm afraid you are not alone, check out this forum thread:

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=239562
    Thought of the day :
    It happened to me only once on normal conditions (i.e, in the car).

But it also happens every time i put the gps on a particular window border at home. Maybe it has to do with the interference the window metal border can produce.
    I've just seen this reference to a new version of MobileXT which looks more like the Nuvi Garmin style.

There is no mention of a Palm version, but I hope that is just a typo

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=256361
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I've just seen this reference to a new version of MobileXT which looks more like the Nuvi Garmin style.

There is no mention of a Palm version, but I hope that is just a typo

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=256361
    Looks like this is an update to Garmin Mobile, not MobileXT

Lets hope they will be releasing an update to the Palm XT version like the newer WM Ver. 4.20.30w
    Thought of the day :
    Where can I find install instructions on how to install this on my centro?
    thanks
  13.    #393  
    I'm afraid you are not alone, check out this forum thread:

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=239562
    While I don't really understand the problem I think I figured out how to prevent it from occurring.

I noticed that on a several-hour-long trip I NEVER lost satellite reception, and the GPS 10x unit never "hung." What was different about the way I was using Mobile XT? I had another program in the foreground, and Mobile XT was running happily for hours in the background. Then when I closed that program, so that Mobile XT was running in the foreground, the problem occurred (both losing reception and the GPS 10x locking up) within 15 minutes and then did so repeatedly . So maybe it had to do with the handoff of some system resource between Mobile XT and other programs?

So I got to thinking (dangerous in my case...) Maybe there was something slightly out of whack with the pairing of the GPS 10x unit with the Treo? What would happen if I deleted the pairing and then re-paired them? So I went to the Bluetooth application, hit the "Trusted devices" button, and found that the GPS 10x unit isn't listed! When you install Mobile XT it creates a pairing between the Treo and the GPS 10x unit that is just for Mobile XT's use, apparently it doesn't appear as a system resource. Of course this normally works fine, but obviously there are some cases where it fails.

Anyway I created a pairing between the Treo and the GPS 10x unit within the Bluetooth application, and now it seems that everything is fine, I haven't had another "Lost Satellite Reception" message (when I obviously could see satellites) or a hung GPS 10x since then. I'll report back if that changes.

FYI in case you don't know how to create the pairing:

• Turn on the GPS 10x unit
    • Open the "Bluetooth" application
    • Select "Setup devices"
    • Select "Trusted devices"
    • Select your GPS 10x unit from the list (it may appear as an "unknown device")
    • As prompted, enter the passkey ("1234" seems to work, I'm not sure if that's the only choice)
    • Select "Done"
    • Exit the "Bluetooth" application.
    The last three times I've used my Mobile 10 it's been routing like a crazy person! Example; I routed to a small town about 90 miles down the highway, right on the highway. When I was about 30 miles away, it kept telling me to get off on these small county roads instead of staying right on the direct highway.

Another example; I was driving through Montana and it told me to get off on some middle-of-nowhere exit and then right back on (I didn't get off, BTW).

It seems it just keeps telling me to take surface roads wherever I go and I don't get it.

RSW
    You need to check your routing preferences. I only use Major roads.

RicardoG
    Is that under 'Avoidance Setup'? I have 'Fastest Route' selected under the 'Routing Preferences' menu. I'm not clear on 'Avoidance Setup'. If I check those boxes does that mean it will avoid them or not avoid them... hmmmm..

RSW
    Anything you put a check mark on will be avoided.

RicardoG
  18.    #398  
    I have found that there are some bugs in Garmin's maps (or at least, I interpret that to be the problem.) It seems that in a few places, roads aren't connected so you have to do something like get off a freeway and get back on because it doesn't recognize that there is an overpass! The most annoying one I've found is in the DC area getting from Dulles Airport to Arlington, VA. There seems to be a "gap" in Hwy 50 so it picks the strangest routes around the gap.
    While I don't really understand the problem I think I figured out how to prevent it from occurring.

So I got to thinking (dangerous in my case...) Maybe there was something slightly out of whack with the pairing of the GPS 10x unit with the Treo? What would happen if I deleted the pairing and then re-paired them? So I went to the Bluetooth application, hit the "Trusted devices" button, and found that the GPS 10x unit isn't listed! When you install Mobile XT it creates a pairing between the Treo and the GPS 10x unit that is just for Mobile XT's use, apparently it doesn't appear as a system resource. Of course this normally works fine, but obviously there are some cases where it fails.

Anyway I created a pairing between the Treo and the GPS 10x unit within the Bluetooth application, and now it seems that everything is fine, I haven't had another "Lost Satellite Reception" message (when I obviously could see satellites) or a hung GPS 10x since then. I'll report back if that changes.
    [/LIST]
    This, unfortunately, didn't fix the problem for me. I've already returned one GPS receiver, and the second is just as cranky, but with slightly different symptoms.

I've got TomTom's software, too, and just as an experiment, I used the Garmin GPS with TomTom. It worked just fine, with no lockups or hiccups.
    I'm at a loss to explain this.
    On the 26th Feb they went from version 4.10.40w to 4.20.20w, for Windows Mobile units, so there is still development going on.

Hopefully there will be a Palm version some time. Does anyone know of any changes being made to the Palm version ?
    Now up to 4.20.40w, as of 22 April.

Including:
    Provide additional error checking to detect corrupted NMEA input from third party GPS receivers.
    Hopefully there will be a newer Palm version soon with the same NMEA update, which might help the problem I found with the Holux BT unit

See: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=375
    Thought of the day :