Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Thanks for the report. It's interesting to know that at least some of the crashes are not related to insufficient free RAM on 650's. By freezes you mean cases where you have to stop the car, pull out the stylus, pull off the back cover and reset? Bummer... I had a lot of crashes with XT but I don't recall any hard freezes.

About the scale - at first I was surprised by the lack thereof, but then I realized that with the 3D view, the scale is different for different parts of the map. Still it would be nice to know the scale in (for example) the middle of the map.
    Yes, hard lockups. No button response, ignores power switch. Get it out of the case, pull of lid, etc.

Yeah, I realized that scale would be a little odd with a 3D, but I had things like the state line appearing at the top of the screen. Is that just ahead, or miles away? You can't easily tell. A scale that gave you the 'depth' of the screen from top to bottom middle would at least give you a baseline.

Overall, I like it better than Que. If they can just get the stability fixed, I'll be set.
    Last edited by bitmage; 12/19/2006 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added quote since this ended up on next page
  2.    #22  
    I see there's a new beta as of Dec. 20:

http://www.garmin.com/support/downlo...ls.jsp?id=1913

Anyone tried it out yet? There's also an even newer beta posted on the (not yet released) Mobile XT page:

http://www.garmin.com/support/collec...t=010-00579-00

but that link just seems to take you in circles (release date is said to be Dec. 27).

Edit: as of Dec. 28 the above link no longer exists; you only get a message saying that no updates are available for the Mobile 10.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 12/29/2006 at 12:19 AM.
    I've had a mixed experience with Mobile XT on my Sprint 650. The first install went very smooth -- the application (v4.00.10p) and detailed maps loaded, I connected with the Mobile 10x reciever and started routing. Everything I tried worked right the first time EXCEPT voice prompts. I got the on-screen turn by turn prompts but never heard the voice prompts. Has anyone else had this problem? I have 4.8MB of free internal memory. I've seen some posts that low memory will cause voice problems.

In an effort to fix the problem myself, I downloaded the Beta version 4.00.24. This install was a disaster. I ran into problems with the install when it tried to update my 10x reciever firmware. The updater application was able to find my 10x reciever, but it said it could not find a valid update file. Hmmm? I thought maybe the 10x didn't need the update so I went ahead and tried to upgrade the Mobile XT application on my Palm. The process failed after I sync'd the application to my 2GB SD card. When I got to the step in the process where it wants me to remove and re-insert my SD card to auto start the installation; the Treo gave me a "Handheld Error -- The auto start application cannot be run...".

I reformated the SD and tried the process again to the same result. I ended up punting and doing a hard reset and restoring to my last Hot Sync backup.

So anybody out there having voice prompt problems with the Mobile XT on your Treo 650? I've put in an e-mail to Garmin, but with the holiday's I don't expect to hear from them in awhile. Thanks in advance.

ByteShredder
  4.    #24  
    I could get voice prompts with Mobile XT (version 4.00.10) but the sound was often ratty and garbled. That was one of several reasons for going back to Que. Also I ran into problems trying to update the GPS 10 receiver firmware, but managed to get that straightened out (see the first post in this thread, updage #3.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    I could get voice prompts with Mobile XT (version 4.00.10) but the sound was often ratty and garbled. That was one of several reasons for going back to Que. Also I ran into problems trying to update the GPS 10 receiver firmware, but managed to get that straightened out (see the first post in this thread, updage #3.)
    Do you think you are getting a better reception in GPS10 from your BT Receiver since you updated it for Mobile10 ?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Having "played" with the Mobile10 update, and then having gone back to my GPS10, I'm now thinking I'll not bother anymore.

The GPS10 software is so simple to use. It's clean and simple. I can swap out of GPS10 while it's navigating, make changes to my Treo, and then go back in where I left.

If it resets while I'm using it, it just picks up where it left off and continues.

I had hoped that the Mobile XT would be the same, and better. But it seems to be a memory hog and not as well written.

I might be wrong, but for now I realise for me how good the GPS10 set up is.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Do you think you are getting a better reception in GPS10 from your BT Receiver since you updated it for Mobile10 ?
    I didn't do any systematic tests with reception, but I couldn't notice any difference.

I agree, Que software is very quick, simple, and just plain works with no fuss, unlike Mobile XT which seems much more finicky, at least in its beta version. I once dropped the phone with Que running, the SD card popped out, and Que continued without detailed mapping. When I re-inserted the card, Que picked up again with detailed maps as if nothing had happened. Now that's robust software.
    Due to an unknown software conflict, my 700p does not autorun upon card insertion*. Does anyone know how to install the Mobile XT software without the autorun feature? I have tried many things including:
    1. Moving start.prc (as-is and renamed) into the Launcher folder, but the Application Launcher doesn't recognize it
    2. Moving the XT Setup file into both the Launcher folder and into the main Treo memory (by itself and with all the other files in the Garmin/Apps/Palm folder) and running it. It trys to install the program but says that there are missing files.

Also, does anyone have experience with the beta on this (downloading now and will attempt in a minute)?

I know if I hard reset the 700p, the autorun feature will be restored (tried it) and the installation will probably proceed. However, I would have to spend a long time reinstalling and configuring each of my other applications, and that is something I'd rather avoid.

(*I am almost certain that this is a software conflict because when I hard reset the 700p, it will recognize the SD card upon insertion and switch to the Application Launcher. The strange thing is that my 700p does recognize card insertion as I get the tone, but it doesn't switch to the Application Launcher and doesn't autorun. I have posted this problem on the 700p board, but no one has come up with any answers yet.)
    I'm having an issue with the GPS 10 Updater. I get to the Ready to find GPS screen. Nothing happens. If I click Bluetooth Search, it just sits there and then returns None Found.

The GPS is listed as a trusted device and it is found as a nearby device.

The blue light flashes once a second - I've heard that's the "fast" rate. Is that so?
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi View Post
    I'm having an issue with the GPS 10 Updater. I get to the Ready to find GPS screen. Nothing happens. If I click Bluetooth Search, it just sits there and then returns None Found.

The GPS is listed as a trusted device and it is found as a nearby device.

The blue light flashes once a second - I've heard that's the "fast" rate. Is that so?

Pam! Nice to see you're still alive and well!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan View Post
    Pam! Nice to see you're still alive and well!
    Thanks a bunch!!!

Now if I could just find my way around with GPS...
    DesignExtend.com
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if this works with Bluechart maps?
    Okay, I got it running. After following the steps of:

1. Installing and HotSyncing to Card.
    2. Allowing the install onto device.
    3. Removing all files left from install on device...

At this point, many successfully reinserted the card and got a proper install. However, accessing MobileXT simply caused the Treo to reset repeatedly. So I...

4. HotSync'd all files (contacts, etc.)
    5. Did a Hard Reset.
    6. Rebooted device and HotSynced contacts, etc. back to Treo.
    7. Reinserted SD card - and followed prompts for install.

I also had trouble as my card reader wouldn't read the Treo Formatted SD 2GB card, but fortunately, my computer's internal reader did the trick for the maps.
    DesignExtend.com
    I might also point out that there are no blatant instructions on getting the maps on the card. I got it by exploring the CD provided and went to MapInstall-->XMTI_ENU.msi.

The program walks you through and you MUST install them to an external device (not your hard drive). Time to install the entire US map systems took about 40 minutes, and used just about a full GIG of space.
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi View Post
    Okay, I got it running. After following the steps of:

1. Installing and HotSyncing to Card.
    2. Allowing the install onto device.
    3. Removing all files left from install on device...

At this point, many successfully reinserted the card and got a proper install. However, accessing MobileXT simply caused the Treo to reset repeatedly. So I...

4. HotSync'd all files (contacts, etc.)
    5. Did a Hard Reset.
    6. Rebooted device and HotSynced contacts, etc. back to Treo.
    7. Reinserted SD card - and followed prompts for install.

I also had trouble as my card reader wouldn't read the Treo Formatted SD 2GB card, but fortunately, my computer's internal reader did the trick for the maps.
    I was finally able to get the original Garmin Mobile 10 software to re-install on my Sprint Treo 650, but it was a huge pain and took me most of last night. I tried hard resets after having deleted what I thought had to be all of the original Garmin files, still no go. I also deleted everything Garmin from my pc, but that didn't do it. I called Garmin Tech Support last night & the tech said to delete all the temp files on my computer but that made no difference. I was FINALLY able to get the original software re-installed only after doing another hard reset, & uninstalling all things Palm from my desktop (in addition to the Garmin issues, part way through this fiasco I started having an issue with Hotsync's - every time I tried to do a Hotsync it just got stuck part way through & refused to continue). Then I ran the original Treo software & re-installed the general Palm stuff, entered my original Hotsync name, & only THEN was I finally able to install the original Garmin software back on my phone.

At that point I thought what the heck, I may as well give the beta update another try. I ran the beta & it found my GPS receiver, but then it couldn't find whatever file it needed after that. I popped out the SD card & popped it back in (since that's what I had to do with the original install of Garmin Mobile 10) but that didn't work either - I got a message saying it didn't like that (can't remember exactly what it said).

Tonight I called Garmin Tech Support again (I believe that makes 3 nights in a row, now - if anyone's keeping track) and the guy I talked to, while he said he was "the" right person to talk to about issues with this software, wasn't quite able to help. He did ask me to go into the XT Setup file & then into the menu to the one & only option there - "Error Details" and tell him what it says - in case anyone is interested, the message is-

Creator: qSTP
    Type: ovly
    Missing.

He said he doesn't know what it means, but he took my phone number & email address & said he'll check on it & get back to me via either phone or email, after the Tech Support lines close & he's able to find out some info.

I'm anxiously awaiting info. back from him - but in the mean time I need to restore all the original software that I no longer have on my phone...... and now I can at least use the Mobile 10 software again, even with the resets....

-- Does anyone know of any easy way to get everything back on my Treo without hosing anything up? I use BackupMan but I'm not sure how that'll help. I've reinstalled BackupMan on my phone but I'm worried that if I just restore files from a recent backup, I'll get whatever file(s) back that were causing me problems to begin with. (Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that when I decided to wipe out all the Palm stuff from my pc I also decided to copy the files from my SD card to my desktop, & then wipe everything off the SD card - so I don't know if it's even a good idea to just move those files back to the card?? ) I'm inclined to reinstall everything from scratch & just replace the data files automatically created by each program with the copy from my original Palm directory...... I would appreciate any suggestions!

Patti
    This is all insane. It shouldn't be that hard to install software onto a Palm Treo...
    Yes, well, insane or not unfortunately that seems to be the way it is right now. I don't know why I had such a hard time getting the original software back on my Treo after the updater - I can only assume I was missing something there (I'm not like some of the "power users" on these boards - I think I'm more of a "low power" or "medium" user.... I can do lots of stuff with my Treo but there's a ton more I don't have a clue about).

I re-installed most everything & restored my data files last night so I'm up & running with the original version of Garmin Mobile 10 again, as well as my email & everything else I use my Treo for. I'm still awaiting a response from the tech at Garmin who was going to look into the Error Details from within the XT Setup file & get back to me. I just called them in case they had any info. yet & they don't - they said hopefully Monday or Tuesday next week. The tech tonight did say they've been having a lot of issues trying to fix the problem with the Treo 650 (I wanted to say - um, from what I'm reading on these boards I think the 700p has the same issue - but I held my tongue). I really understand how they can release products when they don't seem to be quite ready..... I'd have rather waited longer to get something that would work correctly than to get it early & slightly broken!

Oh well, at least I can use my Treo again, so I guess I can live with the resets a bit longer.....
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Wow, that's amazing how much trouble you're all having. I was thinking about making the switch to garmin from Tomtom but I think I'll hold off now. Tomtom 5 treated me pretty well but unfortunately my gps cradle was stolen from my car a few weeks ago. Now I'm in the market again.

I wish the GPS manufacturers would build a nice stand alone unit for $300 with a large(ish) screen without all of the crap features like MP3 players and whatnot. I know there are cheap stand alone players but they usually look pretty cheap. The treo solution is nice but the screen is a bit cramped.
    I just got this for Christmas (I added it to my wishlist and didn't think I'd actually get it!) and I definitely have a love/hate relationship with it. I use it with my Sprint 650.

When it works, it's awesome. But it often wigs out. I get resets starting it up, which usually when I check the #377## code I see "XTSetup: Error Finding SharedLib" or something. Other times it seems to just be "Fatal Exception". I made sure that I have plenty of free RAM by moving tons of stuff to the card with LinkStart as well- I have 10.1MB free now so I don't think RAM is the issue!

I haven't tried the Beta Version yet, and I'm desperately checking the "MyGarmin" site hoping to see "download an update here" or something.

My friend got a Garmin nuvi standalone unit (with an MP3 player and all sorts of other junk), and we compared them side by side. The Treo talks less (like it just says "turn left" instead of "turn left onto i95", but most of the time they are very similar. Oh his doesn't reset.

I wish there was an option to see the total distance left of the trip, instead of just to the next waypoint.
    Last edited by mikepikefl; 01/08/2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Added info
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    When it works, it's awesome. But it often wigs out.... I made sure that I have plenty of free RAM by moving tons of stuff to the card with LinkStart as well- I have 10.1MB free now so I don't think RAM is the issue!
    I agree that when it works, it's pretty slick. I also moved a ton of stuff to my card, I have 10.5 mb free.

Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    I haven't tried the Beta Version yet, and I'm desperately checking the "MyGarmin" site hoping to see "download an update here" or something.
    Don't be too anxious about the beta yet, it didn't solve any issues for me & I haven't read on these boards that it was successful for anyone else yet, either. I think I remember reading where someone was able to make it work but I don't remember what their device was, but they didn't have a completely trouble-free install, either.

I haven't heard back from Garmin that they've fixed the update yet, but if they don't get back to me & it just appears on the Garmin site, that will be just fine with me!!

Patti

P.S. I finally decided to go ahead & order a dash mount for my vehicle; because of what I read on these boards I ordered the Proclip mount with the Ipod padded swivel holder. I'm anxious to get that, now - because while I'm using my Treo even just to test the Mobile 10 software I have to set it in my cupholder & I can't see it from there while I'm driving!
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast