Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Are you by any chance turning the screen off manually?

I used to do that out of habit, since most Palm apps treat hitting the power button as just turning off the screen. Mobile XT assumes you want to stop navigating, and disconnects from the GPS. It's a hard habit to break!
    really? thank you!, i will live with that.
    Hi all!, I have a route file with the GDB estension, does anybody know how can I use it in mobile xt for palm?
    I suppose I have to create a folder in the sdcard as the POI files need...

I tried sending it with mapsource, but the route send option is disabled, the track and waypoints send options are also disabled.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jaimet; 12/15/2007 at 02:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamK View Post
    I've been having the same problem as well. It drives my wife crazy when I try to pop out the battery when driving.

It's something that started with the non-beta version (4.00.10). The earlier versions worked.
    I contacted Ted at Garmin last week - he asked me to see if the behavior was the same whether the bluetooth module was plugged in or not... so I did some testing this weekend.

Here's the behavior I'm seeing. Some of the time (not always, just sometimes) the blue light on the bluetooth module just turns off (if it's plugged in to the car charger, the green power light also turns off at the same time). When it happened this weekend I kept waiting to see if I'd lost my satellite connection but I never did, navigation continued with no interruptions. However, when I reached my destination & exited from the GPS software & then attempted to turn off the bluetooth unit, it wasn't possible to turn it off (it already seemed to be off - but it also wouldn't turn back on). The only way I could get it to do anything again was to remove the battery from the bluetooth unit & re-insert it. The trips were all relatively short, none were longer than 30 minutes & some were quite a bit shorter.

I haven't installed any new software on my Treo since I bought it in October, when I upgraded from a Treo 650 to a 755p. I can't remember if this was happening from day 1 with the 755p?

You might be right about the version... I really don't remember when this started happening. I'm running the latest version of Mobile XT & also upgraded my bluetooth version with Ted's help a few weeks ago.

Is this the same behavior others are seeing?

Patti
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I seem to have the "Lost Satellite Connection" problem regardless of whether or not the bluetooth module is plugged in. Sometimes it works just fine.

I think, but am not 100% certain, that it doesn't lose the connection if I'm just following the map (i.e. not follow a route).
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Hi All,

Thanks for the very valuable information you have provided!

Question:

Does anyone use the Garmin XT software in conjunction with Sprint Mobile Email (SME) with push email enabled? I have a Treo 650 with both of those products and when I finish using XT and press the "off" hardkey, the Treo resets every time. I upgraded to XT v4.10.30p, but still get a reset every time I push the off button.

Comments / suggestions:
    1. Create a custom ROM to get rid of the "out of DB Cache memory" error on the T650. I did this and got rid of Versamail and several other things and don't get that error anymore. Simply follow the great instructions provided in the T650 section of this forum.

2. Running Garmin Mobile XT for Smartphones from another SD card. I read from earlier thread that people were asking about running XT from another SD card. I am doing that without any problems. What I did was: a) plug the Garmin SD card into my PC and copy all the files into a new folder called "Garmin"; b) plug the desination SD card into my PC and copy all those files into a different new folder "Treo"; c) copy all the files from the Garmin folder into the Treo folder and d) copy all the files from the Treo folder onto the SD card. I did receive an error message the first time I ran XT, but pressed the continue button and everything has worked flawlessly since then.

3. BackupMan is incompatible with XT. If you are using BackupMan, you must add the XT files to the exlude list or it will crash.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!
    TL
    Last edited by treolover; 12/22/2007 at 01:14 AM.
  6.    #366  
    I found that XT is very unstable on the 650. Just not quite enough memory. I have only occasional resets using it on a 755p, which has plenty of free memory.
    It looks like I will be using Garmin Mobile XT over Tomtom 6 in my Treo 700p. I'm using a Holux M-1000 BT GPS receiver. Garmin quickly establishes BT connectivity as soon as I launch the program, unlike Tomtom 6, which sometimes takes forever for some reason. Garmin can run in the background while Tomtom cannot. I can make and receive calls using my Jabra JX-10 BT headset without my Holux receiver being disconnected. I can go in and out of Mobile XT while on a call or while going into my other Palm apps without losing BT connectivity or my route.

For those experiencing sluggish performance...use a faster SD/SDHC card. I could not believe it myself the difference in speed the right card makes. Formerly, I was using an OCZ 150x speed 2gb SD card. I recently switched to an A-Data 8gb SDHC Class 6 card which outperformed my OCZ in my 700p by atleast 3 times. I experienced VERY sluggish performance in Tomtom with the OCZ, but since switching to the A-Data, launching Tomtom, calculating routes and recalculating became a lot quicker. I have not tried my Garmin on the OCZ, but I'm sure it will be slower there. So now I have both Tomtom6 and Garmin in my SDHC card. Pretty soon though, I will be getting rid of Tomtom.
    Yeah, I agree, TomTom is nothing compared to this, I was so shocked when I switched to another program and had a popup screen to turn and the voice routing come up from the background.

I do wish Garmin had some more variety with voices though.

However, the fact that traffic doesn't seem to be an added paid feature is great as well.
    Other free features that Garmin Mobile XT have that Tomtom don't:

1) Find the least expensive gas station in the area
    2) Weather
    3) Traffic
    4) Routing Options (car,truck,bus,emergency,taxi,delivery)

The only thing I wish it can do is annunciate street and freeway names.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineMan View Post
    Other free features that Garmin Mobile XT have that Tomtom don't:

1) Find the least expensive gas station in the area
    2) Weather
    3) Traffic
    4) Routing Options (car,truck,bus,emergency,taxi,delivery)

The only thing I wish it can do is annunciate street and freeway names.
    One thing with the routing options though, is that I wish it did what TomTom could with that, give me the option to pop up the list every time I start a new route.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    <in response to question about whether Ptunes will work while Mobile XT is running>
    It works but you may experience skipping since the Mobile XT software uses a lot of the Treo's processing power. At least, that has been my experience.
    My experience is that there is too much skipping going on, especially from files on the SD card. All my files are 320kbit MP3's though, and perhaps smaller files will work better. The streaming stations I have listened to skip less, but are only 128 or 96kbit.

WARNING: I have had Garmin Mobile XT lock up a couple times when using pTunes in the background, requiring a soft reset. Also another problem is that sometimes the screen tries to turn off all the time while PTunes is playing, and that also disconnects the BT connection with the Mobile 10. So at this point I have stopped using pTunes with Garmin Mobile XT.

Quote Originally Posted by treolover View Post
    Hi All,

3. BackupMan is incompatible with XT. If you are using BackupMan, you must add the XT files to the exlude list or it will crash.
    Thanks for the info on the files to exclude, that helped me a lot. But I do have a question: if you have to perform a restore from your BackupMan backups, how do you then get Garmin Mobile XT reinstalled? I had a couple of hard resets since installing XT and each time I've had to 1. Reinstall the maps using the MapInstall program (takes about 45 minutes or so!) and 2. Reinstall the 4.10.30 update. It was my impression that all I would have to do is run the XT Install or XT Setup again, since all the files were in the Garmin directory on the SD Card. However, that never worked. Any ideas?

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    It was my impression that all I would have to do is run the XT Install or XT Setup again, since all the files were in the Garmin directory on the SD Card. However, that never worked. Any ideas?
    pop out the SD Card and then pop it in. The setup should start.
    it worked for me after a hard reset.
    Funny, after my 2 hard resets it did ask me this - but I answered "NO" because I was going to do a restore of my entire setup from BackupMan anyways. But after the restore, the XT Install wouldn't run after reseating the card. I wonder if there is a Garmin file that is getting backed up & restored by BackupMan that shouldn't. I exclided all the XT* files from the backups.

[edited: I did a thorough search and also found a "Mobile XT" file that I am now including in the exclusions list. We'll see if that works next time I do a hard reset. That will be soon because I am testing a BT headset problem for Ted at Garmin].

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    New Version Of GMXT Coming???
    This looks interesting, 4.10.60

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=251057
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Has anyone had success with the Holux M-1200 receiver ?

I have borrowed from a fellow worker his Palm SD card c/w EU NT maps, and I'm running them with 4.10.30p on my Treo 680.

The maps work fine with my old Garmin que BT receiver, but a Holux M-1200 receiver that I have bought is very poor as far a accuracy goes.

I was hoping the Holux, with it's 51 channels, would be better, but the older Palm unit is far better?

If the Holux had been OK, I was planning to upgrade to the SD NT maps when the EU 2008 update came out

Anyone else using the Holux unit?
    Thought of the day :
    In order to use non-Garmin brand GPS receiver with Mobile XT, you have to contact Garmin to get an unlock code.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineMan View Post
    In order to use non-Garmin brand GPS receiver with Mobile XT, you have to contact Garmin to get an unlock code.
    That used to be true, but now Garmin give you the option of buying the maps on an SD card that has the unlock codes on it, so that you can use any BT receiver.

It just means that you have to use their card and so can not use any SD you like, unlike the version that needs the Garmin BT unit to unlock the maps.

See other posts above for more details.
    Thought of the day :
    The PalmŽ GPS Navigator featuring GarminŽ Mobile XT™ is on sale right now through the Palm store for only $179.99 (after mail-in rebate). It's the best deal I could find on it, which is pretty unusal for the Palm Store (although it may mean a permanant price drop is coming soon). After I saw the video of it in action on the official Palm blog, it made me bite.

http://store.palm.com/product/index....ductId=2939045
    http://blog.palm.com/palm/2008/02/my-first-gps-ex.html

I have a standalone Garmin unit currently and I love using it, but I never do. Why? I already have a 755p cradle in my car, and in order to use the GPS, I've gotta pull it out of the glovebox and set it up and plug it in. It's a total pain and thus - I only use it when I really need it. Not to mention, once I stop - I just grab my phone. With the standalone GPS unit up, I have to disassemble it and hide it in my glovebox to prevent theft.

But, with this new setup - I can see myself really using it more often, because the small nature of the GPS device, won't stick out like a standalone unit does. Plus, it'll always be connected! So, after I place my order at the Palm Store, I went ahead and bought a 4GB MiniSD card to copy the data over from the Garmin card and have some space left over for personal use, so I don't have to switch SD cards all of the time.

I'm excited.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowza View Post
    The PalmŽ GPS Navigator featuring GarminŽ Mobile XT™ is on sale right now through the Palm store for only $179.99 (after mail-in rebate). It's the best deal I could find on it, which is pretty unusal for the Palm Store (although it may mean a permanant price drop is coming soon). After I saw the video of it in action on the official Palm blog, it made me bite.

http://store.palm.com/product/index....ductId=2939045
    http://blog.palm.com/palm/2008/02/my-first-gps-ex.html

I have a standalone Garmin unit currently and I love using it, but I never do. Why? I already have a 755p cradle in my car, and in order to use the GPS, I've gotta pull it out of the glovebox and set it up and plug it in. It's a total pain and thus - I only use it when I really need it. Not to mention, once I stop - I just grab my phone. With the standalone GPS unit up, I have to disassemble it and hide it in my glovebox to prevent theft.

But, with this new setup - I can see myself really using it more often, because the small nature of the GPS device, won't stick out like a standalone unit does. Plus, it'll always be connected! So, after I place my order at the Palm Store, I went ahead and bought a 4GB MiniSD card to copy the data over from the Garmin card and have some space left over for personal use, so I don't have to switch SD cards all of the time.

I'm excited.
    Don't buy it from Palm! You can get this at TigerDirect.com for $129.99.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...E=WEBLET03SHIP

I bought a 2GB MicroSD Card that has the adapters for MiniSD and SD. Currently using SD Adapter for my Treo GSM 650. The software is working great. The only issue that I am having is a hard reset after the device connects to the internet when I try to use Blazer. I have determined that the software runs in the background and keeps a lock on the network adapter (GSM Data). Actually telling the app to Exit and clicking Yes to the prompt fixes this issue.

I love this device and it works great. You shouldn't need to have the Garmin module plugged in while driving. It has between 11-12 hours of runtime. I usually charge it about once every two weeks.

In terms of memory on the card, the device says 2GB. I loaded the entire map set for the entire US and it didn't even break 512 MB. You would only need to get a bigger card if you have a lot of MP3s or stuff on the card. I have 2GB card and with my music am only using 360MB with 5 states loaded.

Using the bluetooth on my 650 really drains the battery and I am looking into car holders and car power adapter.

dootndo2
    Last edited by dootndo2; 02/21/2008 at 09:17 PM.
    There seem to be two downloadable versions of MobileXT for the Palm:
    GarminMobileXTforPalmOSwithGPS10_41030p.exe
    GarminMobileXTforPalmOSwithGPS10x_41030p.exe

They are both the same size & contain the same number of files.

I have compared the files that go onto your palm, and they are all the same size and have the same date.

Does anyone know how, if at all, the two versions differ?

I'm just wondering if the "x" version would be the one to use if you were using a non Garmin BT unit?

But as they both seem identical...
    Thought of the day :