Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 514
  1. #341  
    Hi everyone,

    I just received the Garmin Mobile 10 package for use with my Centro (see detailed review here: http://discussion.buygpsnow.com/forums/thread/4052.aspx). This is the package that comes with Garmin GPS bluetooth receiver and the maps/software on DVD. I bought it because I don't mind using Garmin's receiver (although in a perfect world, I wish I could use the Freedom key chain receiver), and this package offered the best combination of price/features (around $130 for everything from Amazon). Also, I like how I can (supposedly) install the maps/software on both my Centro and my girlfriend's Treo 700p, and we can both use it, since we will be sharing the same GPS device.

    My question has to do with the new Garmin Mobile XT software. I know from reading this thread that the updated software (available from Garmin's website) is MUCH better and less buggy that the software that probably ships with the package I just received. My question is: Do you recommend I go through the whole install process with the DVD package I received and then update the software from the website, or can I somehow go straight to installing the "new" updated software? How have people upgraded their software in the past (i.e. can I install over the "old" software, even though for me it will be the "old software I just installed 5 minutes ago")? Has anyone ever been in my situation -- i.e. dealing with a brand new install?

    Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
    Last edited by alvic51; 12/05/2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Edited to correct link
  2. #342  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvic51 View Post
    Do you recommend I go through the whole install process with the DVD package I received and then update the software from the website, or can I somehow go straight to installing the "new" updated software?
    I would recommend you just install the one from the web site straight off, and then you use the "map tool" to install a map on the device.

    Upgrading usually involves a reset so it can remove the old version.

    I also like using the GPS device as the key- my wife and I share the BT receiver as needed. Previously she'd need my whole Treo to use the GPS (which incidentally never happened)... now that she has a Centro I can toss her the BT device and keep my precious...
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

    "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

    --Andrew Tanenbaum
  3. #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    I would recommend you just install the one from the web site straight off, and then you use the "map tool" to install a map on the device.

    Upgrading usually involves a reset so it can remove the old version.

    I also like using the GPS device as the key- my wife and I share the BT receiver as needed. Previously she'd need my whole Treo to use the GPS (which incidentally never happened)... now that she has a Centro I can toss her the BT device and keep my precious...
    Thanks, I did end up installing the most recent version of the XT software from the Garmin website (version 4.10.30p), and everything seemed to work fine. However, after installation, when I was running the program on my Centro for the first time and setting up all the basic options (Fahrenheit or Celsius, etc.), I got to the screen to select voice language, and it told me that I had "None installed." After playing with the program for a while, I've confirmed that I appear to be missing the necessary voice files. I tried reinstalling from the memory card, but that didn't work. Could these files have been on the (older) DVD software, but not on the most recent software that I used? Does anyone know where I can find just these voice files and how to install them? I see that I can download "Voice Guidance Languages" from the Garmin website, but it appears to be only for the Garmin Que and I wouldn't want to mess anything up.

    http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=010-00378-00

    Thanks!
  4. #344  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvic51 View Post
    Thanks, I did end up installing the most recent version of the XT software from the Garmin website (version 4.10.30p), and everything seemed to work fine. However, after installation, when I was running the program on my Centro for the first time and setting up all the basic options (Fahrenheit or Celsius, etc.), I got to the screen to select voice language, and it told me that I had "None installed." After playing with the program for a while, I've confirmed that I appear to be missing the necessary voice files. I tried reinstalling from the memory card, but that didn't work. Could these files have been on the (older) DVD software, but not on the most recent software that I used? Does anyone know where I can find just these voice files and how to install them? I see that I can download "Voice Guidance Languages" from the Garmin website, but it appears to be only for the Garmin Que and I wouldn't want to mess anything up.

    http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=010-00378-00

    Thanks!

    I also received the Garmin Mobile XT package today as well. I ordered mine without the Garmin BT GPS receiver because I already have a Holux M1200 keychain BT GPS receiver. Did you install the software off the website onto your existing SD card or onto the SD card that came with the Garmin package?

    I haven't tried Garmin package yet. I was very happy to get the TomTom package working yesterday thanks to help from the folks on here. See my thread about TomTom sluggish performance.

    Once I get Garmin working I'll compare the results and post them here.
    Sprint
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p
  5. #345  
    Quote Originally Posted by fulltlt View Post
    I also received the Garmin Mobile XT package today as well. I ordered mine without the Garmin BT GPS receiver because I already have a Holux M1200 keychain BT GPS receiver. Did you install the software off the website onto your existing SD card or onto the SD card that came with the Garmin package?

    I haven't tried Garmin package yet. I was very happy to get the TomTom package working yesterday thanks to help from the folks on here. See my thread about TomTom sluggish performance.

    Once I get Garmin working I'll compare the results and post them here.
    I think my package was different than yours -- I think you have the one that is tied to the SD card; I have the one that is tied to the GPS receiver (all my maps are on a DVD that I believe I can put on as many memory cards & devices that I want, but I can only use 1 GPS receiver). So to answer your question, I installed the maps on my own SD card because I did not get an SD card from Garmin. I am interested to hear your comparisons with TomTom, though, since I almost decided to go with them instead of Garmin.

    Finally, to answer my own question re: voice files, it turns out they were in the "Support Files" in the link I posted above. Too bad you have to install all the support files (all the voices, and the help files), instead of being able to pick and choose, but everything is working fine now on my device. Thanks!
  6. #346  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvic51 View Post
    ...So to answer your question, I installed the maps on my own SD card because I did not get an SD card from Garmin...
    That's correct, you both got different packages, the BT receiver one doesn't come with an SD card, and you are free to install Mobile XT and the Maps on as many cards/devices as you want since you can only use it with the one BT device.

    Quote Originally Posted by alvic51 View Post
    Finally, to answer my own question re: voice files, it turns out they were in the "Support Files" in the link I posted above. Too bad you have to install all the support files (all the voices, and the help files), instead of being able to pick and choose, but everything is working fine now on my device. Thanks!
    Interesting, I never knew that part! And you can later remove everything you don't want- like I delete all but the USA English woman voice, and all but the English help files.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

    "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

    --Andrew Tanenbaum
  7. #347  
    Quote Originally Posted by fulltlt View Post
    I also received the Garmin Mobile XT package today as well. I ordered mine without the Garmin BT GPS receiver because I already have a Holux M1200 keychain BT GPS receiver. Did you install the software off the website onto your existing SD card or onto the SD card that came with the Garmin package?

    I haven't tried Garmin package yet. I was very happy to get the TomTom package working yesterday thanks to help from the folks on here. See my thread about TomTom sluggish performance.

    Once I get Garmin working I'll compare the results and post them here.
    Does this even work? I doubt it. I thought the Garmin XT software would only work with a Garmin GPS unit. I'd like to hear if you get it working.
  8. #348  
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    Does this even work? I doubt it. I thought the Garmin XT software would only work with a Garmin GPS unit. I'd like to hear if you get it working.
    If you read a few posts... (pages?)... back there are some new packages available, with the maps preloaded and locked to the SD card that you buy the software on. They appear to be for handhelds with built in GPS receivers... I don't recall if they specifically mentioned other BT devices, but there are links to each in the post.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

    "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

    --Andrew Tanenbaum
  9. #349  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I'm afraid it's all to do with copy protection. You either have to use their SD card, or their BT receiver.

    It depends on what version you buy from new.

    If you want to choose your own BT receiver and use your own SD card you are out of luck.

    At least we can choose, if you go down the TomTom route there is only 1 option
    I thought I'd post a quick note to thank you all on this board for the good information.

    I also want to pass along information to any Garmin reps who may be paying attention: Provide your customers with a Mobile XT version that is not tied to a particular SD card or receiver! This should not be too hard, especially since these "mobile" devices are network enabled and could easily do a network-based activation process. I have a new small form factor BT receiver that I want to use (Holux M1200) and a particular SD card that I want to use (SanDisk SD Plus USB), and the combination of the two is preventing me from buying your product. Therefore, I will give my business to Tom Tom.

    Good luck to you all.

    Mike
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p
  10. #350  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Therefore, I will give my business to Tom Tom.
    Just curious, does the TomTom product do what you want? Which one?

    I'm mostly happy with the solution I have, although every so often this BT receiver dies, and needs the battery removed to reset it (sometimes more than "every so often").

    I wouldn't mind knowing about other solutions for future purchase possibilities.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    SD card that I want to use (SanDisk SD Plus USB)
    I like the idea of those cards, but they are always one step behind where I want to be! When I was looking for 2GB cards they only had 1GB, and now that I'm at 4GB cards they have 2GB. And obviously if I upgrade I'll be starting all over with mini or micro SD. Yay!
    Last edited by mikepikefl; 12/06/2007 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added usb/sd reply
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

    "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

    --Andrew Tanenbaum
  11. #351  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Just curious, does the TomTom product do what you want? Which one?

    I'm mostly happy with the solution I have, although every so often this BT receiver dies, and needs the battery removed to reset it (sometimes more than "every so often").

    I wouldn't mind knowing about other solutions for future purchase possibilities.


    I like the idea of those cards, but they are always one step behind where I want to be! When I was looking for 2GB cards they only had 1GB, and now that I'm at 4GB cards they have 2GB. And obviously if I upgrade I'll be starting all over with mini or micro SD. Yay!
    Yes Tom Tom 6 will work with any BT receiver on any SD card.

    There is a 4GB SanDisk SD Plus USB now. There is however a warning about it not being backward compatible, so I don't know if it will work on a Treo.
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p
  12. #352  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    I'm mostly happy with the solution I have, although every so often this BT receiver dies, and needs the battery removed to reset it (sometimes more than "every so often").
    I thought it was really interesting you said this - I thought this was only happening to me! I contacted "Ted at Garmin" a couple weeks ago about this & he helped me update the bluetooth firmware because it was outdated, but this happened again a couple of days after I'd done that.

    What has been happening is that approximately the same time I reach my destination, I reach for my BT receiver to turn it off only to find out it's already off (died, I guess, because the lights are all out). It's really strange because the times it has happened - it hasn't been during the drive, but when I get ready to turn it off.

    Is this the same or similar to what you're seeing?

    Patti
  13. #353  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    There is a 4GB SanDisk SD Plus USB now. There is however a warning about it not being backward compatible, so I don't know if it will work on a Treo.
    Nope, it's SDHC. I think you'd need to make a custom ROM with the SDHC driver. I almost did that, but didn't... I forget why.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

    "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

    --Andrew Tanenbaum
  14. #354  
    Quote Originally Posted by pconley View Post
    I thought it was really interesting you said this - I thought this was only happening to me! I contacted "Ted at Garmin" a couple weeks ago about this & he helped me update the bluetooth firmware because it was outdated, but this happened again a couple of days after I'd done that.

    What has been happening is that approximately the same time I reach my destination, I reach for my BT receiver to turn it off only to find out it's already off (died, I guess, because the lights are all out). It's really strange because the times it has happened - it hasn't been during the drive, but when I get ready to turn it off.

    Is this the same or similar to what you're seeing?

    Patti
    Wow! Ok so I also upgraded the Firmware with Ted's help (I meant to back up the old one first, but like a dolt I forgot). At first it was worse, so I really regretted the upgrade. I had such high hopes.

    I also have noticed that it sometimes automatically (automagically?) turns off. But sometimes doesn't. I have the option to "auto off after disconnect" disabled, but noticed it was happening anyway. One day I thought it had turned itself off, but it didn't, and it killed the battery and the charger was in my wife's car. That was a bad day (I'm on-site at a client for two months... yay).

    But sometimes it still dies while navigating, and I have to take the frickin' battery out for a few seconds (while driving) to reset it. It won't just turn back on or anything, so it must be a really fatal crash on the unit.

    Usually it happens where there are tons of turns, I don't know where the hell I am, and traffic is nuts. Lately I've actually managed to pull over and stop while I do this, and not completely flip out (which for me is pretty good ).
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

    "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

    --Andrew Tanenbaum
  15. #355  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Wow! Ok so I also upgraded the Firmware with Ted's help ....

    I also have noticed that it sometimes automatically (automagically?) turns off. But sometimes doesn't. I have the option to "auto off after disconnect" disabled, but noticed it was happening anyway.

    But sometimes it still dies while navigating, and I have to take the frickin' battery out for a few seconds (while driving) to reset it. It won't just turn back on or anything, so it must be a really fatal crash on the unit.

    Usually it happens where there are tons of turns, I don't know where the hell I am, and traffic is nuts. Lately I've actually managed to pull over and stop while I do this, and not completely flip out (which for me is pretty good ).
    Well, now that I know it's not just me, I'm going to keep after Ted to figure out what the issue is. It's dangerous trying to remove & re-insert the battery while driving! I've been fortunate enough to know where I am (for the most part) when this happens, but I would be really upset if I was lost & relying on this working, & had this happen.
  16. AdamK's Avatar
    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    #356  
    Quote Originally Posted by pconley View Post
    Well, now that I know it's not just me, I'm going to keep after Ted to figure out what the issue is. It's dangerous trying to remove & re-insert the battery while driving! I've been fortunate enough to know where I am (for the most part) when this happens, but I would be really upset if I was lost & relying on this working, & had this happen.
    I've been having the same problem as well. It drives my wife crazy when I try to pop out the battery when driving.

    It's something that started with the non-beta version (4.00.10). The earlier versions worked.
  17. #357  
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamK View Post
    It's something that started with the non-beta version (4.00.10). The earlier versions worked.
    It's funny, I just always assumed the older versions of the software were so "crashy" that it just never had the stamina to exhibit the behavior! It never occurred to me that a bug was introduced in later versions... I figured it was in the firmware of the device.

    I've been finding lots of adds 'n ends type bugs as the software gets more and more stable- like being able to check my email at the same time, there was a bug with closing the data connection.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

    "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

    --Andrew Tanenbaum
  18. #358  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    If you read a few posts... (pages?)... back there are some new packages available, with the maps preloaded and locked to the SD card that you buy the software on. They appear to be for handhelds with built in GPS receivers... I don't recall if they specifically mentioned other BT devices, but there are links to each in the post.
    Yeah.. I saw that. Was wondering if it actually worked with other companies BT receivers.. That would be cool... anyone get it working?
  19. #359  
    i find too often that it misses to prompt a turn.

    when i wake up the screen of the treo, i find that my position has not been updated in a while (sometimes even 10 minutes) and, according to MobileXT the GPS appears disconnected. However the receiver is active and "auto off after disconnect" option is disabled.

    i guess i should blame the Treo 680 bluetooth.
  20. #360  
    Quote Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
    i find too often that it misses to prompt a turn.

    when i wake up the screen of the treo, i find that my position has not been updated in a while (sometimes even 10 minutes) and, according to MobileXT the GPS appears disconnected. However the receiver is active and "auto off after disconnect" option is disabled.

    i guess i should blame the Treo 680 bluetooth.
    Are you by any chance turning the screen off manually?

    I used to do that out of habit, since most Palm apps treat hitting the power button as just turning off the screen. Mobile XT assumes you want to stop navigating, and disconnects from the GPS. It's a hard habit to break!

    If this is indeed what you are doing, and would like some way to control this feature, it would be great if you would email Ted at Garmin and cast your vote! He said so far there haven't been too many requests for it.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

    "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

    --Andrew Tanenbaum

Posting Permissions