Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BCVP View Post
    Hey guys great thread! I always tell people to search before posting but it's hard to find the answer in this specific thread. I have a Palm Centro and I'd like to get the Garmin Mobile XT with a Blue Tooth receiver. I guess I'd like to find one that's smaller, cheaper, runs longer than the Garmin receiver you get with the Mobile 10. Is there a list of third party receivers that work with Garmin Mobile XT or are you stuck with their own receiver? I know early in the thread you were stuck with theirs or maybe I just saw that somewhere else but I think that has changed?
    I'm not 100% sure, but I know that there are two types of map unlocking used:

1. Maps locked to the Garmin GPS unit
    2. Maps locked to the SD Card serial number

My hunch is that you need to use a Garmin unit.

You can ask Ted at Garmin- he is very helpful: GPalmBeta1@garmin.com
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    1. Maps locked to the Garmin GPS unit
    2. Maps locked to the SD Card serial number

[/email]
    From other forums I have being reading about the maps locked to the SD card, so that would enable you to then use any BT receiver.

Have a look at this picture from the Garmin website:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=138&pID=11413

It shows a PDA with maps on an SD card. In the spec's it does not mention any Treo's, which is a bit strange?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    It shows a PDA with maps on an SD card. In the spec's it does not mention any Treo's, which is a bit strange?
    Interesting! I think the kicker is this line:

Add full-featured navigation to your GPS-enabled smartphone with Garmin Mobile XT.
    We are out of the running there unfortunately...

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  4.    #324  
    The problem is that Garmin has several products and their website is very confusing. Here are your choices:

Garmin Mobile™ XT (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=138&pID=11413): Maps on an SD card, no BT receiver, for phones with an enabled built-in GPS (Edit: apparently (?) works with non-Garmin GPS units also)

Garmin Mobile 10 for smartphones (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=138&pID=9796): GPS 10x receiver plus maps on an SD card

Garmin Mobile 10 for laptops (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=139&pID=420): GPS 10x receiver plus maps on a DVD

Garmin Mobile 10 for PDAs (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=139&pID=10901): GPS 10x receiver plus maps on a DVD

You'll notice that the last 2 are identical - if you go to the "In the box" tab on the linked pages, you'll find that what you get is in fact identical as far as one can tell from the description. Not to mention that for the Mobile 10 for PDAs, Garmin claims (click on the "Specs" tab) that their product is not compatible with Garmin Online services, but the product brochure (click on the link for "Detailed Specs" - https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/as...ile10_0706.pdf) claims free access to their online services. Very confusing!
    Last edited by bobodobo; 11/28/2007 at 12:28 PM. Reason: See Edit
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Very confusing!
    I definitely agree. If you don't mind, perhaps point that out to Ted? He has admitted that their documentation is not quite up to date in the past. If you don't feel like I can do it. I talk to him probably once a week!

A feature I requested was already in the app but wasn't in the manual when I looked! He let me know, and poked the doc people to update it.

They've been churning away at the code quite a bit since I got mine (wow last Christmas!), and the results are pretty sweet.

I've used some custom builds to help them test out some of my suggestions and the results have always gotten better each time!

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  6.    #326  
    I definitely agree. If you don't mind, perhaps point that out to Ted?
    Mike: actually I already sent an email to Ted, but if you talk to him frequently, feel free to ping him yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Mike: actually I already sent an email to Ted, but if you talk to him frequently, feel free to ping him yourself.
    IF you are talking to Ted.... I'd do it but I'm off to Australia for a month later tomorrow.

You know the window that has a speedo display in it, the one you get if you Tap bottom right from the main map display.

Well, top right there are 2 miles counters, I think one does trip and the other is a second miles counter etc.

On my Garmin Nuvi Car gps one of those readouts displays as a count down to how far you have to go on your current route. This would be useful in MobileXT.

Currently the only way, that I know of, to see how many miles a new route is, is to go to the turn-by-turn display and slowly scroll to the end of the list.

Does this make sense, and sound useful to you?

Charles.
    Thought of the day :
    On my Garmin Nuvi Car gps one of those readouts displays as a count down to how far you have to go on your current route. This would be useful in MobileXT.

Currently the only way, that I know of, to see how many miles a new route is, is to go to the turn-by-turn display and slowly scroll to the end of the list.

Does this make sense, and sound useful to you?
    YES!! Extremely! I have lamented the lack of this information many times.

So much for not screwing with it while driving, eh?

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  9.    #329  
    Yep, sign me up for the "distance to destination" data field also!
    Interesting! I think the kicker is this line:

We are out of the running there unfortunately...

Not so as it turns out.

I wrote to Garmin and asked about using XT with the Treo Palm devices.

They said it was no problem. Ted at Garmin says he is using it with his Centro.
    Sprint
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by fulltlt View Post
    Not so as it turns out.

I wrote to Garmin and asked about using XT with the Treo Palm devices.

They said it was no problem. Ted at Garmin says he is using it with his Centro.
    Hmm, we must have crossed wires. I run it on my Treo 650, so it definitely works on Palm devices, albeit with a BlueTooth GPS receiver.

I was calling out the difference in that particular version: why it was less expensive, didn't come with a device, and warranted it's own "product" entry. The point being that particular one was made for devices with built in GPS receivers- and as of yet all us Treo users are out of the loop on that one.

Sorry if I mislead anyone.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Hmm, we must have crossed wires. I run it on my Treo 650, so it definitely works on Palm devices, albeit with a BlueTooth GPS receiver.

I was calling out the difference in that particular version: why it was less expensive, didn't come with a device, and warranted it's own "product" entry. The point being that particular one was made for devices with built in GPS receivers- and as of yet all us Treo users are out of the loop on that one.

Sorry if I mislead anyone.

What is "it" that you are running on your 650. XT isn't shipping for 3-5 weeks. I just ordered it in advance.
    Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by fulltlt View Post
    What is "it" that you are running on your 650. XT isn't shipping for 3-5 weeks. I just ordered it in advance.
    I've been running Mobile XT on my Treo 650 since last Christmas when I got the Mobile 10 (GPS 10X device + Mobile XT + Maps). Mobile XT was released last November if I remember correctly. Give or take a month.

If you look back through this ginormous thread you'll see we had a rough start but Garmin has been releasing updates that steadily get better.

The current release is 4.10.30p, and a URL can be found a page or two back.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    I've been running Mobile XT on my Treo 650 since last Christmas when I got the Mobile 10 (GPS 10X device + Mobile XT + Maps). Mobile XT was released last November if I remember correctly. Give or take a month.

If you look back through this ginormous thread you'll see we had a rough start but Garmin has been releasing updates that steadily get better.

The current release is 4.10.30p, and a URL can be found a page or two back.

OK, Their web site really is confusing about mobile 10, mobile 20 and mobile XT. XT is the product I just ordered that can be used with any Bluetooth GPS receiver. It sounds like the software is all the same then.
    Sprint
    Sorry if this has been covered in one of the previous 33x posts...but I haven't had time to read the whole thing.

I just bought my first GPS--a Holux M1200 receiver. I like some of the features of Mobile XT, but I read somewhere that the software is tied to the serial number of the SD card that it comes pre-loaded on. Is this true? I have a specific SD card that I want to load the software on. Please let me know if this would be a problem.

Thanks, Mike
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I like some of the features of Mobile XT, but I read somewhere that the software is tied to the serial number of the SD card that it comes pre-loaded on. Is this true? I have a specific SD card that I want to load the software on.
    I'm not sure how it works or what versions unfortunately. Does anyone here have that version? I believe the majority of us got the version with the Mobile XX package.

Now, it also could be that when you first install/activate it, it detects this? So maybe you can copy the files over BEFORE your first run/install/etc. I don't remember what happened when I installed it the first time... it was a while ago.

But I wouldn't bet on that- I'd just shoot Ted an email! Or I suppose any support email that's listed on their pages would work too.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Sorry if this has been covered in one of the previous 33x posts...but I haven't had time to read the whole thing.

I just bought my first GPS--a Holux M1200 receiver. I like some of the features of Mobile XT, but I read somewhere that the software is tied to the serial number of the SD card that it comes pre-loaded on. Is this true? I have a specific SD card that I want to load the software on. Please let me know if this would be a problem.

Thanks, Mike
    If you buy your MobileXT maps on SD card there are 2 unlock files on your card that we that have our maps locked to our BT receivers don't have.

They are GmapSupp.unl & SW.unl

One is generated from the SD card's unique number and the other is generated from the MapID. However they are both needed to generate each other.
    In other words If I had EU maps and you had USA maps, you could not put my EU map and unlock code code on your Garmin SD card, as both codes would be wrong.

However if you put my EU card in your Palm it would work. So only one set of maps can be used at one time, so stopping dupplication of the maps
    Thought of the day :
    If you buy your MobileXT maps on SD card there are 2 unlock files on your card that we that have our maps locked to our BT receivers don't have.

They are GmapSupp.unl & SW.unl

One is generated from the SD card's unique number and the other is generated from the MapID. However they are both needed to generate each other.
    In other words If I had EU maps and you had USA maps, you could not put my EU map and unlock code code on your Garmin SD card, as both codes would be wrong.

However if you put my EU card in your Palm it would work. So only one set of maps can be used at one time, so stopping dupplication of the maps
    Regarding your comment "One is generated from the SD card's unique number..."

So does this mean that the unlock file is unique and exclusive to the SD card shipped from Garmin?

What I would prefer to do is just download the software and install it to my current SD card? Isn't this possible??

And one other question...can pTunes streaming Internet radio work in the background with Mobile XT (or Tom Tom)? Other than email, I probably use pTunes streaming radio more than any other app. I'm really hoping that I can continue to use it in the background while in the GPS app.

Appreciate the info,
    Mike
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p
  19.    #339  
    What I would prefer to do is just download the software and install it to my current SD card? Isn't this possible??
    The only other option is to buy one of the Mobile 10 packages, in which case the GPS 10x receiver that comes with the package is the hardware key rather than the SD card.

And one other question...can pTunes streaming Internet radio work in the background with Mobile XT (or Tom Tom)? Other than email, I probably use pTunes streaming radio more than any other app. I'm really hoping that I can continue to use it in the background while in the GPS app.
    It works but you may experience skipping since the Mobile XT software uses a lot of the Treo's processing power. At least, that has been my experience.
    So does this mean that the unlock file is unique and exclusive to the SD card shipped from Garmin?

Mike
    I'm afraid it's all to do with copy protection. You either have to use their SD card, or their BT receiver.

It depends on what version you buy from new.

If you want to choose your own BT receiver and use your own SD card you are out of luck.

At least we can choose, if you go down the TomTom route there is only 1 option
    Thought of the day :