Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Solved problem 1 by using a different computer with no conduits on it then doing a fresh install of the 650 Palm Desktop. I have had trouble ever since I installed the 700p conduits. Now that I have Que working, I will probably go with the GPS 10 even though it appears that mobile xt is working much better now. I was one of the unfortunate first beta testers for the mobile xt, and the Que works so well. Any thoughts on whether I should get the Mobile 10?
    I see that 4.00.60p came out at the end of June, and 4.00.62p has just been released.

Anyone tried these new versions?

Are they getting any better.

To be honest I've gone back to the old/original GPS10-Deluxe.

It starts in 0.25 seconds and it does not crash. I can live with 2D and no POI's just because of the stability.

The trick is knowing when Mobile 10 is improved enough to go back.

The only downside of the GPS10 on my 680 is the sound files don't work. Anyone else using it on a 680 ?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Hello,

I found this forum and found lots of helpful information, so thanks for previous posters!

I just purchased the garmin mobile 10x unit for use on Treo680 and went on a weekend trip (~300 miles with multiple destinations), and thought I'll report my experience here.

First of all, I am happy to report that the Mobile XT version 4.00.62p Beta software is "mostly" stable and fully functional. I cannot compare the stability of this version to previous versions or to other palm units, but it seems to work fine on the Treo680. The installation of MobileXT onto my treo680 from the SD card did not have any problems, either.

The treo unit spontaneously reset once because of MobileXT when I tried to return to the program after receiving a phone call. But this didn't happen at every call, so I am not sure what happened there. I also noticed that the screen didn't stay on even when the appropriate option was chosen. However the screen would automatically turn on when a turn was coming up. During some parts of the trip, the screen remained on as it should. I'm not sure what happened there either! The lady's voice stuttered once during my weekend trip.

I have a Garmin streetpilot i3, and I found the mobileXT software on a treo680 to be equal in speed when calculating routes and displaying maps. The application does run faster if PXA clocker is used to overclock the processor.

I saw some posters complain that it takes too many button presses to escape from a menu. However, I found out that holding down the "back" button for a few seconds (then releasing the button) will take me back to the main MobileXT screen from anypoint in the menus.

Few more things I noted that you might already know:

The addresses can be typed in using the onscreen keyboard as well as the treo's built-in keyboard. The input seems faster using the treo's keypad. The "return" key on the treo actually activates the "back" button, and holding it down will eventually take you back to the main menu. the center button on the 5-way navigation button acts as the real "enter" key.

The basemap that comes on the Mobile 10X City Navigator NT v8 DVD is Version 4 (~30 mb) while the one available for download on Garmin's website is Version 2 (10mb).

The mobile 10X GPS receiver does not need to be added to your trusted devices list from the PalmOS, as the mobileXT software seems to manage its own bluetooth connection. But it doesn't seem to hurt, either. In fact it doesn't seem to do anything.

I don't have a dataplan on my treo680 so I cannot comment on any of MobileXT's online functions.

As of this writing Garmin's support page isn't updated yet, but you can download version 4.00.62p Beta here:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3616
    Last edited by halfapie; 07/07/2007 at 11:39 PM.
    Thanks for your comments, halfapie. I had just finally gotten around to installing the most recent official update when I learned there was a new beta - so I haven't even downloaded that one yet.

I'm really glad to hear that it worked well for you. I'm one of the ones who received this product for Christmas (at my request) and I was pretty bummed it wasn't working as well as I'd have liked at first. Just after Christmas my brother showed me his handheld TomTom that he had just gotten, so I pulled out my Treo to show him what I had gotten - & of course it reset on me. Those days are mostly gone now that they've made several improvements, so I'm a pretty happy camper. I'm still waiting on one improvement I don't know if they'll be able to make - not routing you off a highway just to have you get back on the ramp & back on the highway to avoid some traffic! I emailed Ted at Garmin about this a couple weeks ago & he said he had noticed that behavior too, so he was going to request they improve the routing so it doesn't do that.

I don't know if it's something they'll be able to change, but I'm still very pleased with the current performance. Yes, I still have an occasional problem, but to me that's pretty much nothing.

Please post again if you learn any new information about this or any future updates. If you haven't read all of the messages on this thread - if you have any specific suggestions for improvement, Ted at Garmin has been super responsive to our requests.
    Unless any of the hardcore users can shed any light on 4.00.62p, and if it's an improvement over 4.00.54p, I think I'll stick with the GPS10 version for now.
    Thought of the day :
    I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out why the latest releases (4.00.60 and now 4.00.62) were still giving me problems on my Treo 650. I contacted Garmin support and discovered that Mobile 10 requires quite a bit of resource, space wise, on the Treo. In addition to the approximately 8 MB of space required in main memory for program storage, another 8 MB (minimum) is required when the software is running. As long as you do simple routing - and follow the route - the unit works most of the time. However, if the Mobile 10 software has to do anything more complex like rerouting additional memory is required. Tech support suggested an additional 1-2 MB.

So recapping, 8 MB of program storage + 8 MB additional memory when the software is running + 1-2 MB additional to allow functions like re-route.

After I loaded the software the first time I had 8 MB free but experienced problems. I removed everything that wasn't absolutely necessary in main memory and moved everything else possible to the SD card (lots of apps won't work from the SD card,) and once I got to 10+ MB of free memory (with Mobile 10 loaded) all of my Mobile 10 software problems went away.

It takes a lot of memory to successfully run software like Mobile 10 - a lot more than the older Que software considering all the added functionality.

I suspect that some of the problems folks are experiencing with Mobile 10 is due to insufficient free memory after loading the software. The 680 is starting to look very good to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by numinous View Post

So recapping, 8 MB of program storage + 8 MB additional memory when the software is running + 1-2 MB additional to allow functions like re-route.

I suspect that some of the problems folks are experiencing with Mobile 10 is due to insufficient free memory after loading the software. The 680 is starting to look very good to me.
    Just to chime in, my Treo680 has "Free space 40.1M of 69M" after installing the mobileXT software. Maybe that's why it works fine for me.
    WARNING: Garmin murderers on the loose.

You see, while standing in line at a Best Buy return/exchange counter this morning, a woman wanted to return her Garmin because it "tried to kill" her by making her get in the left lane to exit what was actually a right hand exit.
    I emailed Ted at garmin and got a detailed reply, so I thought I'd share portions of that with you all:

2. I was making a turn and the lady's voice stuttered once. It
    sounded something like, "In three hundr--------ed feet, turn right."

[Ted] a utility called meminfo will be able to tell you how much dynamic heap and db cache memory you have. Low dynamic heap will cause stuttering.

3. When I press the "screen off" button on my Treo680, the MobileXT
    application seems to lose the bluetooth connection to the GPS unit,
    so that when I turn the screen back on the connection has to be re-
    established. Is that an intentional design? I noticed that if the
    screen turns off by itself (power save timer), the unit remains
    connected.

[Ted] Yes this is by design (if a user presses the power button then we assume that they want to save battery, the bluetooth link from the palm device to the GPS device drains battery) so we do shut the connection down, however we have had requests to have it enhanced. It is currently being reviewed of how we can improve this. I would be happy to keep you posted.
    As far a dynamic memory goes, you could try UDMH from Palmpowerups.
    www.palmpowerups.com

I've had mixed results from UDMH, but it does work well with some apps.

Try the time limited trial and see if it stops the stuttering.

Make sure you use v5.3, as the older versions don't play well on the 650/680.
    Thought of the day :
  11.    #271  
    Wow, I never thought this thread would last anywhere near this long...

Anyway, I updated to 4.00.62b on a Verizon Treo 650. I still have the older GPS 10 receiver, not the 10x. A few observations with my setup:

1. Biggest change is that map redraw is WAY faster now, like 2x or 3x faster!

2. As always, memory is marginal on the 650 for running Mobile XT. Move everything possible to the SD card. According to MemInfo, I have 5454KB free memory (Storage Heap), 5151KB (DB Cache) and 1977KB (Dynamic Heap). I also found that by backing main memory to the SD card (I use Resco Backup), hard reset, then restore, gave me another 600 KB or so. (You have to have a bit of courage to do that, of course.)

3. I have UDMH but don't see a change in behavior with it on or off.

4. I liked the new placement of the Exit button in this version. Now it's a big enough target. (In case anyone didn't realize it, if you're in Mobile XT and press the "Home" hard key, Mobile XT stays resident and keeps working in the background, and of course eating up memory and processor cycles. If you want to stop Mobile XT entirely, you have to press the "Exit" button.)

Thanks to halfapie for the tip on getting back to the main screen without multiple presses of the "Back" button!
    Thought I would chime in on the compatibility of different units with different software. I prefer Que to mobile xt, and have found it reliable and easy to use. However, after the MR for sprint on the 700p, the audio on Que now studders. I wonder if this is due to the fix to ptunes. Anyway, thought this info may be a useful addition to bobodobo's chart on page 10 of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by mn23 View Post
    Thought I would chime in on the compatibility of different units with different software. I prefer Que to mobile xt, and have found it reliable and easy to use. However, after the MR for sprint on the 700p, the audio on Que now studders. I wonder if this is due to the fix to ptunes. Anyway, thought this info may be a useful addition to bobodobo's chart on page 10 of this thread.
    I agree with you about how good the Que software is. It's a shame Garmin felt it had to go down the 3D route and therefore stopped development of the Que software. The new MobileXT software has so many problems that had already been fixed in Que

I'm having sound problems on my 680, so this could be related to your MR update problems.

I wonder if I removed PT completely using a custom ROM, if that would fix it.
    I'll think about that one

You might like to have a look at my post on this problem:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=146438
    Thought of the day :
  14.    #274  
    Bump - to avoid losing this thread altogether at the 30-day limit....
    I just want to say this has been a VERY helpful thread. (Another bump too).
    Garmin Mobile XT for Palm OS with GPS 10 Ver. 4.10.10p as of Sep 19, 2007

Just noticed the above on the Garmin website, anyone tried it yet:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=010-00378-00
    Thought of the day :
    Ver. 4.10.10p

I loaded it last night.

First impressions, wow OMG this one actually works very well.

However, I've not done any routing out on the road, as my BT unit was almost flat, so after I had got a fix it went flat, and I was going out last night so I could not wait for it to charge up. So more to follow.

One slight problem with the install. I did a clean install. The download is only about 7.5 mb, unlike the previous versions which were about 30mb.

The reason for this small size is that the help files and language files are missing.

So when I did a clean install on the 680, they were missing. Not a great problem as the help files are not really needed and I just extracted the English voice file from the previous exe version on my pc and moved it over.

So now to actually using it.

The opening splash screen has changed. After that the whole program feels more nippy. I have dived into and out of all the settings, browsed my map, done a few routes and simulated them. No crashes at all. I exited out to DateBk without closing MobileXt first, and then went back in and it was still all working OK.

So far I'm really happy with this version and will use it instead of the old Que version, which for me used to be the most stable.

However, as I've not yet used it live, I reserve the right to change my mind it falls over in out on the road.
    Thought of the day :
    thumbs down for Ver. 4.10.10p from me, I installed it on my 650, and my 755, and neither has voice prompts... I never do a clean installs, so maybe that has something to do with it... I rolled back to 4.00.62p, not worth the effort of troubleshooting, since 4.00.62p worked perfect for me...
    HTC Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    thumbs down for Ver. 4.10.10p from me, I installed it on my 650, and my 755, and neither has voice prompts... I never do a clean installs, so maybe that has something to do with it... I rolled back to 4.00.62p, not worth the effort of troubleshooting, since 4.00.62p worked perfect for me...
    Fair enough, your choice, but you only need to make a directory called Voice and put one _vpm file in there.

I did not try .62p, but for me this version has no lag or freezes unlike .60p

Sounds like a bug in the install process.
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    Out of interest, do you ever get the Treo reset when the Garmin app has turned on the IR and is searching for satellites ?
    Thought of the day :