Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Thanks for your reply!

No I don't use any tools to manually flush the DB cache. However I use some 3rd party software like Stock Manager, Filz, NVBackup, UniCmd, Treo Launchr, Agendus, KBLightsOff etc. Could it be that one of those programs flushes the cache regularly?

Regards
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by hal_9000 View Post
    Thanks for your reply!

No I don't use any tools to manually flush the DB cache. However I use some 3rd party software like Stock Manager, Filz, NVBackup, UniCmd, Treo Launchr, Agendus, KBLightsOff etc. Could it be that one of those programs flushes the cache regularly?

Regards
    David
    Try turning off KBLightsOff, as that runs in the background.

If that does not help you can turn it back on again.

Also try doing a Warm Reset, which is like running in Safe Mode. And then try the MobileXT. If it does not crash then the problem must be an app which is "loading" after a normal reset.

In case you don't know a Warm Reset is done by holding the up 5way while doing a reset. Let go when the first screen is replaced by the second one. I think in Warm Reset mode the Radio/Phone will not turn on, so that will confirm that you have done it correctly.
    Or see here:
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...1,Case=obj(887)
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Thanks again for your help!

I'll try that at the weekend as I'm on a business trip without my car right now.
    Thinking about it I realized i have also STOIC running in tha background this could also be the reason. We'll see.

This leads me to another question. When I use the Mobile XT software the screen turns off after some time (like it does with all applications). It turns on automatically if there is something to see (like a crossroad etc.). However it would be nice if the screen stays swithed on all the time. I use STOIC (stay on i cradle) for it. Is there any other way??

Best regards
    David
    I use a free app called AlwaysOn
    http://software.palmfocus.com/product.asp?id=1902

You can change how long the Palm waits before it turns off, after no user input. If you set it to Stay On, the Palm will not auto off.
    Thought of the day :
    Ok, thats pretty much the same as STOIC. I just tought there might be a way to do this without using 3rt party software. But it seems like it doesn't.

Regards
    David
    Quote Ted from garmin:

"There is a newer version of Garmin Mobile XT available 4.00.54p. Its a BETA version.
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3618 - mobile 20
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3616 - mobile 10
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3620 - GPS10

This has added a feature that will allow you to disable the auto off screen time out within mobile xt. its under settings->display. This has some major enhancements with contacts if you happen to have alot, this also has low dynamic heap memory checking, and much more as you can view the change log on any of these pages."

If the DbCache is better this should help 650 users ?
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Quote Ted from garmin:

[I]"There is a newer version of Garmin Mobile XT available 4.00.54p. Its a BETA version
    If the DbCache is better this should help 650 users ?
    Here are my impressions so far:

1) I had an error installing the software- the upgrade didn't quite work. I didn't write down the exact error message, but it said it couldn't use VFS to copy over a database because it already existed, for Start.prc and Start_en.prc I think. I ran Mobile XT anyway, but the version was still the same. I used XT Setup to uninstall, then installed. I STILL got the error message but it worked, the version was updated. But I lost all my saved data.

2) Holy cow, this version ROCKS so far. I have only had a chance to run it for a few minutes, but not only does the GUI feel faster, I can actually run ChatterEmail in the background! I can send and receive emails, switch back and forth, route- and it works! Previously it would reset instantly whenever either program was started while the other was running. AWESOME! Splitting up the libraries might have made the world a better place??

I'm going to give it a good work out over the next few days...
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Here are my impressions so far:

2) Holy cow, this version ROCKS so far. I have only had a chance to run it for a few minutes, but not only does the GUI feel faster, I can actually run ChatterEmail in the background! I can send and receive emails, switch back and forth, route- and it works! Previously it would reset instantly whenever either program was started while the other was running. AWESOME! Splitting up the libraries might have made the world a better place??

I'm going to give it a good work out over the next few days...

Mike, or anybody else...
    I too am very impressed with the updated version (non-Beta).
    My 700p has unfortunately fallen victim to the reboot cycle twice inthe last week - but the positive side is I got to do a cleaner install

Mike mentions above "switch back and forth".
    How? If i am running Mobile XT and a call comes in, it switches and I take the call. But to return to Mobile XT I have to go to the launcher, press M to locate Mobile XT, click on it andwait 1-2 seconds. Is there a faster way?

Also, can someone please point me to a tutorial for using Tracks? I am so excited this is finally supported. I have v8 US maps and Topo maps installed and REALLY want to use TRACKS for some back-country hikes.

After turning on tracks, how do I then view and use the stored data?
    Quote Originally Posted by streger View Post
    Mike mentions above "switch back and forth".
    How? If i am running Mobile XT and a call comes in, it switches and I take the call. But to return to Mobile XT I have to go to the launcher, press M to locate Mobile XT, click on it andwait 1-2 seconds. Is there a faster way?
    Well in this case, I was using the email hard button, which I have assigned to Chatteremail, and then I go to the phone where I have a shortcut and hold "G" (for GPS or Garmin, take your pick ) which brings me back to Mobile XT.

I used to have McPhling installed which allows you to "fast switch" between the last program and also see the last 10 apps and select one.

I ended up deleting it because it slowed down the Treo pretty badly, and didn't always work like I wanted it to with LinkStart. But that would take you back and forth pretty darn quick if you used it in this situation.

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by streger View Post
    Also, can someone please point me to a tutorial for using Tracks? I am so excited this is finally supported. I have v8 US maps and Topo maps installed and REALLY want to use TRACKS for some back-country hikes.

After turning on tracks, how do I then view and use the stored data?
    I think someone discussed tracks in this thread if you search just in this thread. I've only used it once, and found it unintuitively located in:

Tools... Manage My Data... Tracks

You can save, clear or view. Under Options turn it on or off, and there are some options for recording too.

I wouldn't mind hearing how/what others do with the data. I used it while on some trails to see where I had been/how to return. It was amazing accurate to within a foot or two- the trail was maybe 4-5 feet wide and I could see when I simply walked from one side to the other!!

Also did you buy the topo maps separately??? Something I would be very interested in at some point! Using the street maps on trails is odd. Thanks!
    Last edited by mikepikefl; 05/23/2007 at 05:13 PM.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Hi @all,

I tried the new version immediately. However I faced the same problems. So I decided to do it the hard way and start from the beginning: Hard Reset!

First thing I installed afterwards was of course Mobile XT. And it works fine now. I have soft resets every now and then when if quit the application. It sucks but I can live with that
    Meanwhile I installed a lot of other 3rd party applications again (Agendus, Stock Manager, Mysporttraining, ...). I'll try KBLightsOff and TreoLaunchr soon. Maybe one of them is the cause of problems. "Stoic" or "always on" is not needed any more as there is the new "screen timeout" option in Mobile XT.

The new version itself seems to be a lot better as well. Everything feels faster and seems to be running more smoothly. Fantastic!

Garmin now has one more satisfied customer!

Thanks everybody for your help!

Best regards from rainy germany
    David
    I'm a 650 user, so I was both excited and apprehensive when I read about this latest beta update.

I tried it out several times in the past couple of days & it's WONDERFUL !!!!!!! I was experiencing resets before, then with the previous update I at least got the "not enough dbcache" message & I could reset it myself, but I was getting those messages practically every single time I went into Garmin. This latest beta has been fantastic - no errors, no resets, no crackly voice, no dbcache messages. It's like night & day better, I love it!!!! This is finally the product I wanted.

The absolute only criticisms I have at this point are in regard to the maps not being current ("new" malls or businesses that have been in their location for a couple of years - Garmin doesn't like their addresses), & regarding routing to avoid traffic. A couple times I've been told to take an exit to get off the highway, then I'm routed back onto the highway entrance to get right back on the highway. I think that's kind of stupid, but I can live with that!

Thanks a ton for letting us know about the beta update!

Patti
    Some people have mentioned background or switching between applications. I use tomtom, and if a call comes through, I lose my navigation and have to start the program over. The only exception is chatter, where you can reply right from the alert window that pops up.

Is Garmin the same way, or does it somehow keep operating in the background?
    Quote Originally Posted by pconley View Post
    A couple times I've been told to take an exit to get off the highway, then I'm routed back onto the highway entrance to get right back on the highway. I think that's kind of stupid, but I can live with that!
    I've had this same issue, which puzzled me. I usually don't listen if I know the exit is not going to get me there, or I check ahead in the route.

One time it wanted me to be one of those a-holes that gets on the ramp that takes you to a couple different exits and then also merges back in later down the road!

... I didn't do it because the merge was worse than what I was in

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb View Post
    Some people have mentioned background or switching between applications. I use tomtom, and if a call comes through, I lose my navigation and have to start the program over. The only exception is chatter, where you can reply right from the alert window that pops up.

Is Garmin the same way, or does it somehow keep operating in the background?
    I've had some good luck with it in the background. I can't speak for others, but I've been on the phone, or in another app, and I can still hear the lady giving directions! That's not always the case, but it's happened more than a handful of times.

It almost always happens now with Chatter (now that it can run with Chatter running- previously the two were completely incompatible).

Granted, I've also had a couple resets and a HARD lock... so it's not all roses and whatnot.

Oh and I guess I should mention that I overclock my 650 to 504MHz, so maybe that helps too...

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by pconley View Post
    It's like night & day better, I love it!!!! This is finally the product I wanted.
    I also forgot to mention that this is a great description! My wife was a little upset that it would send me into such rages while navigating Boston after she bought it for me. At one point she wished she didn't get it and said she felt bad for getting me such an unreliable product.

I made sure to mention to her how not only is it working so well now, but that they listen to my bug reports and fix things due to feedback I give them. That is AWESOME

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Same here - my husband bought it for me for Christmas & he was feeling guilty I was so frustrated with it resetting & freezing all the time. He, of course, never needs directions like I do, but he's very happy I'm happier with it now!

Oh - on the way home from work tonight, I was going to turn it on just to see how the traffic looked - & I got the dbcache message so it's still not perfect, but it is a lot better than before! I'm so happy to see that they continue to improve it based on our feedback or whatever is causing the new versions. It's too bad they didn't do more testing prior to the first release, but like you I am SO impressed that they actually listen to us!

I also forgot to mention that this is a great description! My wife was a little upset that it would send me into such rages while navigating Boston after she bought it for me. At one point she wished she didn't get it and said she felt bad for getting me such an unreliable product.

I made sure to mention to her how not only is it working so well now, but that they listen to my bug reports and fix things due to feedback I give them. That is AWESOME
  18.    #258  
    Also did you buy the topo maps separately??? Something I would be very interested in at some point! Using the street maps on trails is odd. Thanks!
    Yes you have to buy Garmin's topo maps separately, but they work fine with Mobile XT software. As one might expect, topo maps don't support street routing.

Also it's a bit awkward to switch back and forth between street and topo maps because all of the maps in use have to be stored in a single humongous file called GMAPSUPP.IMG. So I keep 2 files, GMAPSUPProad.IMG and GMAPSUPPtopo.IMG on my SD card, then whichever map set I want to use, I rename it GMAPSUPP.IMG. After changing from one map set to the other, sometimes you have to do a soft reset before Mobile XT recognizes it. The whole process is clumsy but it works. It would be much nicer if you could select the map set you want to use from a menu.

And yes, each successive version of Mobile XT is a noticeable improvement compared to its predecessor.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Yes you have to buy Garmin's topo maps separately, but they work fine with Mobile XT software. As one might expect, topo maps don't support street routing.

Also it's a bit awkward to switch back and forth between street and topo maps because all of the maps in use have to be stored in a single humongous file called GMAPSUPP.IMG. So I keep 2 files, GMAPSUPProad.IMG and GMAPSUPPtopo.IMG on my SD card, then whichever map set I want to use, I rename it GMAPSUPP.IMG. After changing from one map set to the other, sometimes you have to do a soft reset before Mobile XT recognizes it. The whole process is clumsy but it works. It would be much nicer if you could select the map set you want to use from a menu.

And yes, each successive version of Mobile XT is a noticeable improvement compared to its predecessor.
    So I have a 4GB SD Card and don't mind using a single big file.
    Plus I thought there was the option to toggle a map set on/off inside MobileXT.

I have the US National Parks 24k TOPOs, and City Navigator v8.
    Does it matter whether I use MAPSOURCE or MAPINSTALL to construct the GMAPSUPP.IMG file ?

What I really want to know is about TRACKS. The latest version allows me to turn on tracking - and I can dislpay this tracks on my map later, but where are they saved and how do I manipulate the data into other areas.
    Like opening my track in Nroute or MapSource. Even better, can I take a TRACK log and generate the overlay using google or other online service?
    I haven't posted to this thread for a while, but have read most of it. This is a great resource on the state of Garmin receivers and software. I especially like the jpg posted by bobodobo on page 10 of this thread showing the compatibility of the recievers and software.

Now comes my problem. I just lost my GPS 10, and I am going to Europe in two weeks. I have a 700p and cingular 650 for travel. I would like the best combination of software and hardware since I now have the option to buy either the GPS 10 or Mobile 10. Here are my issues/concerns

1. Before I lost the GPS I had tried to install the Que software on the Cingular phone. Most of the time it wouldn't even start installing. When it did, I got halfway through, and it gave an install error. The programs showed up, but the error came up that I was missing files at startup. It will install on my or my girlfriends other palm devices (650 sprint, zire, 700p), but the cingular 650 seems to have problems. Does anybody else with Cingular have problems?

2. I liked Que, and would like to actually use the Mobile 10 with Que in a perfect world. From bobodobo's post on page 10 this looks like a future functionality. Any word on whether or not this combination works yet?

Besides the battery life and aquisition time, are there any benefits to the mobile 10? I am inclined to get the same GPS 10 receiver and call it good. Considering I will be using this on a 650 occasionally, and a 700p primarily, what is the best combination? Many thanks in advance.