Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    No one else with any feedback, you must all be out enjoying this new beta

Ted from Garmin support has helped me out with POI's, the poi.gpi file needs to go in a Garmin/POI/ folder on your card.

So now I have 5000 extra POI's created with the beta Garmin POILoader.

I have speed camera warning POI's loaded. Not yet tested them on the road, but they look like they should sound off when you get near a camera

Any more feedback folks
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    No more detailed comments because I haven't had the chance to use it very heavily yet. But a few more observations:
    -Still stutters occasionally, but much less.
    -Definitely faster, no crashes with light use.
    -However, if I ever had to use a GPS regularly/heavy mission-critical use (of if money were no object), I would get a standalone. My wife's relatively cheap Garmin i5 still easily outperforms this new version.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanuy View Post
    However, if I ever had to use a GPS regularly/heavy mission-critical use (of if money were no object), I would get a standalone. My wife's relatively cheap Garmin i5 still easily outperforms this new version.
    Yeah but we're geeks!

Besides, carrying around less gadgets and having one device do everything is the American Dream! Or something. Well it's still a dream anyway. Now that the device does everything it sucks 10 times as much when it crashes.

I definitely think we are moving in the right direction. I am very happy to have someone at Garmin listening to my feedback, and fixing bugs we've reported. I would give this company my business again.

This coming from the guy who recommended his cousin get the TomTom. But at least now I can compare them side by side
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Ted from Garmin support has helped me out with POI's, the poi.gpi file needs to go in a Garmin/POI/ folder on your card.

So now I have 5000 extra POI's created with the beta Garmin POILoader.

I have speed camera warning POI's loaded. Not yet tested them on the road, but they look like they should sound off when you get near a camera
    This sounds cool, but I don't quite get what you are talking about.

Where did you get the 5000 POI's? Can you selectively load them? For example, I don't need speed camera warning's in the US, but I know there are some things missing (like my local Olive Garden).

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Any more feedback folks
    I got this response from Ted yesterday- it's a response to largely the same content of one of my previous posts.

-----------------------------
    > >When Mobile XT launches, it detects if there is not enough DB Cache and
    > >instead of crashing, it pops up an error and closes. I tried using
    > >MemInfo to flush the cache but that didn't work. So far only a soft
    > >reset works (same result but at least I know the cause of the reset and
    > >get some warning!). Do any of your devs have a method to clear the cache
    > >without a reset?

Are you trying to flush the DBCache before attempting to launch Mobile XT? Mobile XT software attempts to flush the dbcache when you start it and before you get that error message and closes.
    Within Mobile XT's software, it will flush fairly regularly. When you make a settings change, or something requiring the software to save to a database, it will flush. i.e. Go to settings->dispaly->backlight->(change to a different setting) and then click done. It will do a dbcache flush.

You probably already know how DBCache works, I will explain just in case. If you happen to run third party applications before attempting to launch the Mobile XT software, the third party applications might 'lock' memory in the dbcache (they do this becuase if it is a regular program used, it would be able to launch much faster the next time you wish to launch it). Mobile XT software cannot unlock other programs from the dbcache or flush the third party apps 'locked' dbcache memory.

Added note:
    The next time you get the Mobile XT dialog that says it cannot run becuase of low dbcache. You may want to checkout rescolocker at www.resco.net/palm/. it will help you identify what 3rd party applications are locking the dbcache.
    I would suggest the next time this happens, to somehow go back into those third party apps and try closing them (some way to flush their dbache used, which will unlock it). Unfortunately, some 3rd party application may not flush properly (meaning how the dbcache is fragmented after an unlock or flush) and will require a soft reset.

if you find something out, i would be very interested to know.
    -----------------------
    > >1) I was navigating, got a phone call. While on the call with my non-BT
    > >headset, I tried going back into Mobile XT so I could navigate that
    > >important upcoming turn and talk at the same time- boom. Reset. Eh, oh well.
    > >2) I was done navigating, shut down Mobile XT and was switching BACK to
    > >the phone. Reset.

I will take a look into these. sounds pretty easy to reproduce. Thanks for the heads up.

-----------------------
    > >The power issues seem to only crop up when hitting the power button to
    > >shut off the screen manually. When I did that a few times and watched
    > >the blue light on the GPS 10x I could see it lose connection within a
    > >few seconds, and obviously not navigate any more.
    > >If I powered it back up, let it reconnect, and then let the screen turn
    > >off itself it would continue to work fine.
    > >The only problem seems to be that after doing this a few times to get
    > >the repro steps down right, I got a crash and reset.
    > >The Treo log says: Reset caused while running Mobile XT : FatalException
    > >The Garmin log says: Assert failed at \heapalloc.c : 347 in UI Thread

This is great stuff, I will test based off of your information. Thanks!!
    ----------------------
    > >On a separate note, I noticed while looking through the log for this,
    > >that some of those resets in the previous version were actually on
    > >purpose! I saw "resetting to clear DBCache" which I never noticed
    > >before. I definitely prefer being notified before a reset!

"resetting to clear DBCache"
    That message can only occur during installation. If the DBCache is so fragmented that Mobile XT can’t be installed, the software tries to clear the DBCache. If the attempt to clear it doesn’t free enough memory, we reset the device, which also clears the DBCache. Then after the reset, the installation automatically proceeds. This change allows MobileXT to be installed on some devices it previously wouldn’t have been and only resets if it is absolutely necessary.

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Yeah but we're geeks!
    So true.

Besides, carrying around less gadgets and having one device do everything is the American Dream! Or something. Well it's still a dream anyway. Now that the device does everything it sucks 10 times as much when it crashes.
    I think the old adage that combining devices usually leads to mediocre performance all around is usually right, particularly in early generations of a device. For my occasional use, the Garmin Mobile 10/Mobile XT is becoming a more workable combo. But if I drove in new places for a living, there is no way I would rely on this. And I do agree that while the 700p has some major issues (primarily the OS), it is a great little device (including the OS) that combines the phone, PDA, EVDO modem, etc., better than anything else out there now. I do, however, also carry an iPod and will give the iPhone a serious look, especially a version 2 with EVDO and more third party apps.

This coming from the guy who recommended his cousin get the TomTom. But at least now I can compare them side by side
    Looking forward to that review. (We are geeks )
    This sounds cool, but I don't quite get what you are talking about.

Where did you get the 5000 POI's? Can you selectively load them? For example, I don't need speed camera warning's in the US, but I know there are some things missing (like my local Olive Garden).
    You guy's are lucky on the speed camera front, it's a major revenue earner for the UK Government over here, but that's another story.

I got all my POI's from here:
    http://www.maft.co.uk/garmin/download.htm

However this site might be of interest to you on the other side of the big pond
    http://www.poi-factory.com/poifiles

Basically it's a way of adding lots of items which are not already on your maps.

For Garmin units it is very easy to create the POI's.
    Download a .csv file and .bmp icon from one of the above sites, then convert them into a POI file using the Garmin POILoader beta program listed in one of my previous messages.
    Then create /garmin/poi on your SD card, and place the POI file there.

Speed camera POI's are active POI's, so they start flashing when you approach them, and continue to flash and bleep if you are going faster than the set limit.
    Another use for active POI's could be as warnings of low bridges for lorry drivers, such as here : http://www.garminfree.com/

If you want to add your own local POI's, this is a really good site for making the .csv files.
    http://www.poieditor.com/ Hint, click the Add Point button to see Google Earth.
    The above site allows you to use Google Earth to locate you POI, very useful.
    You can also make active POI's with the above site, just add @30 to the name of an item you have clicked on Google Earth to give a 30mph warning

The POILoader creates a file called poi.gpi However you can use any .gpi name, ie shops.gpi , gardens.gpi.
    You can then have multiple files in your garmin/poi/ folder. Mobile XT will only allow you to select all of them, but you can always move them around using a file app, before you start Mobile XT, if you don't want all of them loaded all the time, if you follow
    Last edited by ChasT; 03/29/2007 at 06:02 PM.
    Thought of the day :
  8.    #228  
    I've been doing some more testing of Mobile XT with a GPS 10 (not 10x) and a Treo 650. I have about 5.5 MB free memory after installing Mobile XT. It seems to work ok when I use it by itself, but if I run PocketTunes in the background, I still get occasional resets and long (but not permanent) freezes, I presume while XT does DB cache flushes. So, as I already mentioned, while this version of Mobile XT is much better than any previous release, it's still kinda marginal for use on a 650 with a few ram-only apps taking up space (the main ones that I have are VoiceDial, PocketTunes and PalmaryClock.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    I've been doing some more testing of Mobile XT with a GPS 10 (not 10x) and a Treo 650. I have about 5.5 MB free memory after installing Mobile XT. It seems to work ok when I use it by itself, but if I run PocketTunes in the background, I still get occasional resets and long (but not permanent) freezes, I presume while XT does DB cache flushes. So, as I already mentioned, while this version of Mobile XT is much better than any previous release, it's still kinda marginal for use on a 650 with a few ram-only apps taking up space (the main ones that I have are VoiceDial, PocketTunes and PalmaryClock.)
    I know it might only be a partial solve, but I have been using LinkStart and PXA Clock (both by the same developer!) extensively and it has made my life more stress free! I've overclocked my processor to 504MHz and the increase in speed is dramatic. I realize that it might be distasteful to do such things (I felt the same way for a long time) but maybe my hacker side got the better of me.

I also moved just about everything I could to the card using LinkStart so I have as much free as possible.

So how do you hear the pretty lady give directions while you are blasting tunes in the background?
    Last edited by mikepikefl; 03/30/2007 at 07:05 AM. Reason: added info

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  10.    #230  
    Great minds think alike. I already use PXAClocker (it works fine for me at 507 MHz), and I use LauncherX so I can store and launch most of my apps from the SD card (i.e. it's another program in the same spirit as LinkStart). But there are a few apps (including the ones I mentioned) that must be kept in RAM. Another thing that helps is to create a custom ROM with all unnecessary ROM apps deleted. This doesn't actually free up ROM for use as RAM, but it means fewer ROM apps loaded into RAM at startup.

Is that lady pretty? All I know is her voice. How come I didn't get her picture??? Depending on your ptunes and XT volume settings, she can be louder, quieter or the same volume as ptunes.
    Has anyone had any success using this combination (in my case a 700p with Mobile XT and a 10x) simultaneously with a Bluetooth headset or car kit?
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanuy View Post
    Has anyone had any success using this combination (in my case a 700p with Mobile XT and a 10x) simultaneously with a Bluetooth headset or car kit?
    On my 680 I took a call on my Palm BT headset, while I was being navigated by Mobile XT.

When I finished the call I quickly checked the GPS setting and it was still tracking all the satellites, so the answer is Yes
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Great minds think alike. I already use PXAClocker (it works fine for me at 507 MHz), and I use LauncherX so I can store and launch most of my apps from the SD card (i.e. it's another program in the same spirit as LinkStart). But there are a few apps (including the ones I mentioned) that must be kept in RAM. Another thing that helps is to create a custom ROM with all unnecessary ROM apps deleted. This doesn't actually free up ROM for use as RAM, but it means fewer ROM apps loaded into RAM at startup.

Is that lady pretty? All I know is her voice. How come I didn't get her picture??? Depending on your ptunes and XT volume settings, she can be louder, quieter or the same volume as ptunes.
    Aha! So you are a hardcore hacker as well. I was going to suggest a custom ROM but the company is so mixed here I didn't want to scare anyone off. Thanks for that explanation actually- I have a custom ROM but I didn't resize the partition, so all this time I thought I was wasting space- but by not loading more into RAM I'm halfway there. I'm actually prepping for a new ROM soon.

So all that and you still have problems?

And as far as the pretty lady goes, she's pretty in my head, and I'm leavin' it that way. At every turn if I don't say it out loud, I think "yes ma'am!"

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    I just downloaded the upgrade. I've had the .10 version since Christmas and have just sufferred through the resets. Anyway, I just downloaded the 10x software 4.00.50p and will install it later. Can someone confirm that the installer will put the apps on the memory card as it did the first time around?
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    I just downloaded the upgrade. I've had the .10 version since Christmas and have just sufferred through the resets. Anyway, I just downloaded the 10x software 4.00.50p and will install it later. Can someone confirm that the installer will put the apps on the memory card as it did the first time around?
    Yes, it does.

My !*&*%&* 700p went into an infinite reset loop after I was using the latest version of Mobile XT today. I know this is probably more of a POS issue, but still...
    Voice Utility
    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/module...er=asc&start=0

This is worth a look.

It's a Windows program which will split the single .vpm Voice file into it's .wav files, so that you can modify the voice commands and then save them back into a single file
    Thought of the day :
    So I finally get this software running great, and use it all the time... I take it on a business trip and then in a rush at the airport I left the unit in my rental car.

I discovered this mid-flight. A stewardess was eyeing me suspiciously as I was foaming at the mouth.

This happened on Friday the 13th. I JUST talked to a lady at the rental place today and they found it and are mailing it back to me.

I will feel lost and disconnected until I get it back....

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Voice Utility
    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/module...er=asc&start=0

This is worth a look.

It's a Windows program which will split the single .vpm Voice file into it's .wav files, so that you can modify the voice commands and then save them back into a single file
    so that means we can use this to make custom voices, like tomtom?
    Hi all,

because my Garmin Mobile XT almost drives my crazy I found this threat and subscribed to the board. So welcome @all ;-)

I'm facing severe problems with the Garmin Mobile XT on my Treo 680. Every time I use it, I have at least one Soft reset during navigation. If I just the program without navigation I have no problems at all. Then its stable even I you play around a long time.
    However after creating a road and connecting it to the GPS i have soft resets without any obvious reason (like incoming calls, messages, reminders etc.). I tried both 2D/3D mode and switched the cell phone on and off. That makes no difference at all.

Some of you seem to have less problems (as I said, the software crashes at least one time per route). Do you have any hints how to avoid these problems? Does anyone know when they will release the next update for the software? (I've already dropped an email to Garmin but havn't got any response so far).

Thanks for your help!
    Best regards from germany
    David
    Hi David.

In theory the larger DbCache of the 680 should make it more reliable than a 650.

Do you use any type of DbCache tools, like Reset Doctor?

If so make sure their setting in low enough to not kick in when MobileXT is working, as the MobileXT builtin cache flush does a good job on it's own.
    Thought of the day :