Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Is it possible to be using Kinoma and then switch to another application, keeping Kinoma running? If so, how?
    No
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    what a worthless application!
    It's on their roadmap..but yeah, would be nice if it could work in the background.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    At this time lack of background playing is a deal killer for me.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    From Harv's review of Kinoma, Part 1 on the TC Home page:

In my opinion, 4 EX is simply the single most feature-rich, entertaining, well thought-out, best supported and powerful PalmOS media player I have ever seen or used. This is one VERY important new product, and I don't say that lightly. I'll make another audacious statement. If you own a Treo 700p and have an unlimited data plan, you'd be nuts not to plunk down the small price for 4 EX. I've seen programs at many times the price that don't do one tenth of what 4 EX does. This goes way beyond cool. The term "killer app" is used so often it's almost lost its meaning. For those of you with PalmOS Treos on a high speed data network, or a TX or LifeDrive with a WiFi connection, 4 EX defines the term "killer app."
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    If I can't use it to listen to music in the background, then how can you call it a "killer app"?
    The RealPlayer delivered with the Treo 650 has the ability to play music in the background.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Yes, but RealPlayer can't play internet stream like Kinoma can. Thanks anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    At this time lack of background playing is a deal killer for me.

hmmmmm... I was fairly pumped up by the review of 4ex here on TC.. but this oversight may be a deal killer for me as well.

..Handspring...\..........Palm.........\.........Palm........\.........Palm......\.....Motorola.....
    .VisorDeluxe.../............Vx.........../........M-100......./......Treo650.../.......Droid........
    I think the #1 reason that programs like Kinoma needs to work on is keeping the connection live when you have to temporarily switch to another app, say to make a quick phone call or check your calendar while you are streaming. That way, you don't have to spend 3-5 minutes reconnecting just to check your datebook.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I think the #1 reason that programs like Kinoma needs to work on is keeping the connection live when you have to temporarily switch to another app, say to make a quick phone call or check your calendar while you are streaming. That way, you don't have to spend 3-5 minutes reconnecting just to check your datebook.
    Amen to that!!
    The article sings the virtues of Kinoma's support, stating that they do listen to user requests. Every MP3 app allows for background play. pTunes even allows you to stream in the background. It would be great to see Kinoma match this.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PruSucks View Post
    If I can't use it to listen to music in the background, then how can you call it a "killer app"?
    I totally agree. I was sucked in by the allure of all the streaming support (that CorePlayer has been promising, but has not delivered as of yet), so I bought it on the amazing review from TC. I guess I assumed that an app receiving this kind of recommendation would have background support. The usability of this app was been severely cut because it cannot do this. Hmmph.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I emailed Kinoma and told them of this problem and I got a refund PLUS I got to keep the app.