Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been reading for a couple months now, anxiously awaiting the release of the 680. I ordered mine from palm on the 23rd, then cancelled it last week and decided to go through Airport Wireless. They said I should have my new treo tomorrow.

Anyway, in all of my reading (here and other treo sites) it seems like I've seen someone say that the enfora wifi sled will work on the 680. Am I remembering correctly? Seems like I've also read that enfora won't be creating one for the 680.

I don't plan to get a data plan (can't talk dh into it yet anyway), and don't know that I really need it for the way I use things, but think I'd like the option of having wifi accessibility.

Any insights or points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

I posted this same thing on Treonauts as well, but thought I'd see what anyone here thinks as well.

Thanks.
    Christy
    Palm user since 2000: Handspring Visor Deluxe (Blue) -> Tungsten C -> Treo 680

SAHM with not enough time to crochet/knit, cross stitch, "geek" (w/ my computer and/or Treo)
    I actually asked this question in another thread...didn't get any replies...hope we get some as despite the sled making the phone bulky it'd be a good attachment for the road and for me as I'll be using the 680 outside of N. America.
    I don't see how it could, the connector on the usb cable is totally different (smaller) than the 650's. I could be completely wrong, since I've only seen the sled in pics.
    I'm a chick who enjoys the finer things in life
    Well then it would be worth their while to do a 680 version i'd guess

1. average use consumers (like me) wouldlove a wi-fi add-on not to mention the power users

2. more clientele means more dough!
    Quote Originally Posted by dorfmunder View Post
    I don't see how it could, the connector on the usb cable is totally different (smaller) than the 650's. I could be completely wrong, since I've only seen the sled in pics.
    Didn't the USB connector on the 650 cover the power port as well? The new one doesn't but that's a factor of the design of the cable, not the Treo. Others are saying that the 650 cradles work, so unless the fact that the 680 is rounder at the bottom (?) wouldn't the sled work as well? Unless there is an OS issue
    The sled should attach no problem, but since it didn't work on the 700p due to what most likely is a driver incompatibility (I tried it), it likely won't work on the 680 until and if Enfora ever decides to release a new version of their WiFi Manager software.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Didn't the USB connector on the 650 cover the power port as well? The new one doesn't but that's a factor of the design of the cable, not the Treo. Others are saying that the 650 cradles work, so unless the fact that the 680 is rounder at the bottom (?) wouldn't the sled work as well? Unless there is an OS issue
    Good point, may just be a cable change!
    Oooooh gadgetmomma, a fellow sahm knitter/crocheter! *highfive* Do you blog your projects? If so, I'd love to see! Mine is at www.dorfmunder.com/ontheneedles
    I read elsewhere (can't remember which forum/site) not so long ago that Enfora was asked if they would produce a sled for the 680 and their answer was no.
  10.    #10  
    Dorfmunder -

PM me (I'm still trying to figure all of this out). I'd love to compare projects, etc.

Christy

PS - I was going to reply that I agree with you - geeky gadgets and yarn.
    Christy

SAHM with not enough time to crochet/knit, cross stitch, "geek" (w/ my computer and/or Treo)
    Did anyone ever answer this question definitively?

1) The Enfora sled (I have one) utilizes a replacement battery cover on the 650 with holes that allow the sled's spring-loaded clasp to grab the back.

2) The Enfora sled mates with the 650's data port.

Is it possible to use an Enfora sled with the 680? If possible, what about the battery cover / clasp issue?
    I'll definitely try it when my 680 arrives.

Canuck PDA
  13.    #13  
    Kardboard -

I'd love to know what you find out about the Enfora sled. I'm really hoping that this is a good way around no wi-fi. I could surf at home, and a few places that have wi-fi (may even be able to talk DH into a Hot Spots account).

Thanks.
    Christy

PS - Hope this makes sense. Having trouble getting my keyboard to cooperate with me tonight.
    Christy

Yup, for sure. I'm rocking a beta firmware and software for the sled, so who knows! And at least you have a keyboard. Haven't put Graffiti 1 on my LifeDrive and writing's a pain.

Canuck PDA
    Quote Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
    I'm rocking a beta firmware and software for the sled, so who knows! (
    So are you saying you have a firmware and software for the 680??? Maybe you can share this with us 680/Enfora owners.
    AUSPUG Melbourne Co-Ordinator
    Visit us at...
    Australian Palm Users Group
    No no, beta firmware/software for the 650. It's an updated version of what you can get off of their site, but still beta and buggy (did more tests today). Hopefully it'll be fixed soon. hehehe

Canuck PDA
    Got my Sled monday.
    At first try, it connected with my 680, and I was prompted to log in by the software; as I had to go back home to get my WEP key, the following attempt (and all others since then) to access the soft failed.
    I always get the error massage asking to turn on the sled.

People at Enfora say they only support 650 users...
  18.    #18  
    So, has anyone else tried the Sled? I'm still debating on it. I'd really love to have wi-fi, but not sure the $$ is worth it, if it's only sometimes successful. Anyone??? Kardboard?
    Christy

Mine still works with the 680, but doesn't work with Blazer for some bizarre reason; works with Xiino for browsing and any other program that access the Internet.

Needs the beta drivers and software and the beta firmware first, and you need to make sure the connection between the 680 and the sled are secure. Turn on the sled, then fire up the Enfora WiFi Manager. It should connect and the red "charging" LED on the Treo should come on. After you've set up your networks, it should work! The new WiFi Manager has a nifty setup wizard, but since it's still beta (permanently so it seems now?), it's prone to crashes.

Canuck PDA
    I just got the drivers kindly posted on the other thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131718

The new manager 3.2 is not handling correctly the Sled, so I got the Enfora wifi upgrade.
    At this point the detecting Wi-fi Adapter step is not progressing.

Guess things are to be done following steps indicated:
    Get the Upgrade first
    download rBoot file
    download Enfora WiFi adapter

But maybe this should be posted on the other thread...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast