1.    #1  
    I just received my artic 680 today and I am primarily a Mac user. I do have the Missing Sync; however, I have had problems on my 650 where certain programs cause the Missing Sync just crash during the HotSync. I believe that the Windows platform might be possibly better for synching a palm device, and since I currently run Windows XP via Parallels on my MacBook, I was wondering if anyone has had any success with this?? Can Windows XP, running via Parallels, see the Treo 680 (via its USB connection) or do you have to make adjustments to Parallels so that a connection can be made? (P.S. Boot Camp for me is not an option). This is one time that I wish the 680 had wifi because a sync via a WiFI connection (thru parallels) would be ideal.

Thanks.
    You've got to be kidding me. There is no way I would use Windows to sync a 680 on a Mac. The only possible advantage is if you use a piece of software that has a Windows only conduit. Otherwise you're just doing something the hardest way possible. I'm using Missing Sync 5.1.2 on a MacBook Pro with no problems on a 680.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Oh man, also: Missing Sync profile for minimal syncing over Bluetooth? Unbeatable.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I have a 650 and I've been synching with Parallels on my iMac no problem. I do NOT synch my Treo with the Mac for the reason that I need to synch with my work PC as well as my home maching (iMac). Since work PC is Windows, I am synching at home using Parallels so that the same OS and applications can be used (e.g. Palm Desktop). I do not use Outlook at all. I find this method works great, though I'm sure many Mac users would disagree with this. The thing is, I need a 100% solution that synchs EVERYTHING with both my Windows machine at work, and my iMac at home (via Parallels in Windows).

Having said the above, the 680 will work the same I'm sure. You can only synch using USB though, and Parallels only supports USB 1.1 (not 2.0), so it is much slower synching time on the Mac than on an all Windows machine. Let me know if you have any other questions. There is no other way to synch that I know of using Parallels (bluetooth not supported, etc.).
    I disagree about the syncing speed of the Mac. Mine is not slow in the least. I don't see any significant speed between the Mac and Windows machine. Using Parallels to sync is ridiculous unless you need a conduit that is Windows only.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    It's slow if you're synching within Parallels on the Mac because the USB speed is only 1.1 (that's the highest speed Parallels uses for USB ports). I'm not saying it's slow on the Mac itself if you're NOT using Parallels...Macs are just as fast as Windows with USB speeds (when NOT using Parallels to synch).
    OK, I misunderstood what you said. I guess that just reinforces my point, I don't any advantage to synching under Windows (either Parallels or Bootcamp) unless you have a need for a specific conduit. Based on the original posters info I would highly recommend that they sync on the Mac preferably with Missing Sync 5.1.2.

Quote Originally Posted by timmo View Post
    It's slow if you're synching within Parallels on the Mac because the USB speed is only 1.1 (that's the highest speed Parallels uses for USB ports). I'm not saying it's slow on the Mac itself if you're NOT using Parallels...Macs are just as fast as Windows with USB speeds (when NOT using Parallels to synch).
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I am syncing with a 680 to a windows at work and macbook at home... both with palm desktop. it seems to be perfectly seamless. the UI on the mac palm desktop is no where as good as the windows software though. palm really needs to update their mac verdion esp when they are the few handhelds that syncs natively with mac. I actually secretly hope that apple buys palm. I had more problems when syncing the mac with missing sync along with windows... the address book had to insert a note into every entry to define the category. I think there was also something wierd with the birthday field.
    I found my Tungsten had no problems syncing between windows (outlook) and Mac (Palm Desktop) but my Treo 700p was not stable doing so. It may have been a configuration error but using my XP machine at home (Palm Desktop) eliminated most issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by timmo View Post
    You can only synch using USB though, and Parallels only supports USB 1.1 (not 2.0), so it is much slower synching time on the Mac than on an all Windows machine.
    Not true, Parallels has had USB2 support (and speeds) since about March of this year...
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    Not true, Parallels has had USB2 support (and speeds) since about March of this year...
    Yup...you are correct. Note that my original post in this thread is back in 2006 (when it was 1.1 speed within Parallels), and thankfully, Parallels upgraded their software to support USB 2.0 speeds. Thank you, Parallels!

I am seriously considering switching to Missing Synch early next year to synch to the Mac (and skip Parallels altogether for my Palm data)...but I am a bit afraid to take the plunge. Is that true that there are some issues with the Notes field on each contact, etc. using Missing Synch? I want it to be seamless synching between my Windows machine at work, and my Mac at home. Hmmmmm.....